--===============1703487162==

--=====================_22248671==.ALT

At 02:48 PM 3/18/2007, Sven Hoexter wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 02:27:17PM -0500, Craig N @ MilwaukeeNet wrote:
> > My boss wants me to use VFTP, which I have never used I have used proftp
> > for 8 years. Other than the clear text passwords, what are the
> > comparisons for arguments sake.

>What software do you referr to with "VFTP"?
>
>Some pro's of ProFTPD:
>- Various modules avaible for various authentication backends
>- Includes a good working mod_tls for encryption
>- DefaultRoot ~ feature for chrooting your users
>(and build in ls etc. pp.)
>- Overall flexibility for your configuration
>
>Cheers,
>Sven

Let me add to Sven's list. The rewrite module alone has *saved* me
(or rather the crazy users/depts) at least three times. Plus the
fine-grained permissions by directory/group/user allows me to setup
each user's area just the way they wanted it. The message files are
nice, and have helped some users know what to do in which
subdirectory. And the ability to have user configs specified in own
passwd files, or SQL, is great. I'm forgetting several things I'm sure.

Very lean _is_ good, and VsFTPd has that. But unless you've got
rigid requirements and a need for that, I'd stay with ProFTPD. Most
especially, because of the requirements that **change**. I've never
yet had to tell people "no, I can't do that" when using ProFTPD!

Tom