On 15.03.07 18:48, Thomas L. Shinnick wrote:
> I wanted to drop a note here in case someone else runs into this
> incompatibility after upgrading Microsoft Internet Explorer to version 7.
>
> User complained saying she couldn't get into the FTP site "like she
> used to", and like she had just 3 days before. Tech guy mentioned
> some things that got me worried, and so I re-checked using my IE7.
>
> And... you can no longer get "folder view" from within IE7. You can
> get only the web listing format display, which rather frustrates
> users that are used to drag-n-drop style usage.

the "folder view for FTP sites" was one of most problematic options in M$IE,
because it was done by bypassing the proxy and directly accessing the FTP
server, which is impossible in sdome networks, where you can't access the
internet directly.

Note that instead of easily parseable FTP folder listing the HTTP proxy
returns hardly parseable HTML document

> I checked out the settings under IE's Tools / Internet Options /
> Advanced, and noticed the pertinent option _now_ reads "Enable FTP
> folder view (outside of Internet Explorer)", where the difference is
> the "(outside of Internet Explorer)" addition.

> I then tried from Windows Explorer and finally got the expected
> folder view, after entering the "ftp://ftp.budgie.com/" string into
> the address bar. So it just doesn't work in IE anymore. Uh, thank
> you Microsoft.

I guess this was done exactly to avoid problems with forced proxies. It's
quite possible that windows explorer (always) accesses FTP sites directly.

A day without sunshine is like, night.