Patrick Muldoon a =E9crit :
> On Mar 12, 2007, at 6:04 AM, Richard wrote:
>
> =

>> Hello, I have installed Proftpd to use a mysql database.
>> The server load is 0.2 ad responds quickly to anything except =

>> connecting to the FTP which can take up to 10 to 15 seconds... I've =

>> got another server moninoring my FTP and I keep recieving emails =

>> saying it is down/up because it times out...
>>
>> As soon as I am connected to the FTP everything speeds up again, =

>> it's just un connection time that is very long !
>>
>> Also after a certain time my FTP program deconnects, which is =

>> normal, but it takes another 10 to 15 secs to reconnect. On another =

>> server which is not mine the connection to FTP is instantious ...
>>
>> Do you have any ideas how I could make the connection faster?
>>
>> Oh I almost forgot : My system is running on Debian sarge with the =

>> proftpd-mysql package ... and Mysql 5.0
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help
>> =

> Along with what Jorge said, make sure your config file has
>
> #turn off Ident lookups
> IdentLookups off
>
> If it does and it is still slow, run in debug and see what is taking =

> so long.
>
> -Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Muldoon
> Network/Software Engineer
> INOC (http://www.inoc.net)
> PGPKEY (http://www.inoc.net/~doon)
> Key ID: 0x370D752C
>
> Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
> Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never =

> seen before.

> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share y=

our
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?p...eforge&CID=3D=

DEVDEV

> =

wow thanks for your quick replys !!!
I have added this to my proftpd.conf :

UseReverseDNS off
IdentLookups off

This has made proftp very fast, however is this safe? The server will be so=
on used for hosting sites and I want it to be as secure as possible.
What do these two commands do? Should I remove the "UseReverseDNS off"
and just leave the "IdentLookups off" command ? Or is there no security pro=
blem leaving them both off?

Thanks again !