TJ Saunders wrote:

Hi TJ,

> What is the numeric ID of that group being returned by LDAP? What does
> 'ls -n' (for showing ownership in IDs, not names) for that directory show?

drwxrwxr-x 2 0 3100 1024 Nov 6 22:32 samba

-> group ID 3100, in LDAP:

attribute gidNumer: 3100

So that mapping makes sense

> Remember that ls, by default, uses /etc/passwd for resolving user and
> group IDs to names. So just because ls shows the same group _name_
> doesn't mean that LDAP and /etc/passwd are using the same group _ID_. And
> permissions, checked by the filesystem, are determined by IDs, not names.

yes I agree on that but there is no such group in /etc/group, also the
user I'm logging in does not have an entry in /etc/passwd so it is an
LDAP user only. Also, the server itself is not connected to LDAP, I just
need LDAP for services like proftpd or apache, not for the box itself.

I'm not sure if I need to add filter options in the LDAP config section
to get the mapping to work properly, the documentation didn't help too
much on that so far.

ProFTPD Users List
Unsubscribe problems?