On 1/24/2007 11:44 AM, TJ Saunders wrote:
>> I understand this. But SUN said this crash is related only with proftpd
>> daemon. Also from their comments I understood, that they simply
>> implemented some additional checks to not allow system crash when this
>> specific run state happens (it is between proftpd and syslog (to be more
>> exact /dev/console) kernel module.
>>
>> Thus possibly SUN solution was simply to not allow proftp to execute
>> something in a way, that system will crash.

"simply"??? The kernel's job is to make sure it doesn't crash, no
matter what the applications do (provided you're not running in kernel
mode). It's a kernel bug. If it's not proftpd that's crashing the
kernel, it could be something else.

> That's the theory. However, Sun has in no way ever communicated anything
> of the sort to the ProFTPD Project to indicate an issue with proftpd's
> usage of system calls. Thus there's no way of us to know anything about
> the issue, much less correct it.

Unless you're in kernel mode, you should not be able to crash the kernel
anyway. If you are in kernel mode, what are you doing there?

.../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org