-> Linux customers are reporting that they cannot get files - No such file
-> or directory. We are able to reproduce the problem on Solaris and
-> Linux clients but Windows clients are able to get files with no problem.
->
-> The private directory is where the problem has been reported and if we
-> comment out
->
->
-> DenyAll
->
-> the Unix clients are able to get files.

There may also be some caching going on. If by Windows clients they mean stuff
like MSIE, I've seen people try and come on my server using it and attempting
to navigate the directories as they were weeks or months ago. The Unix clients
don't cache, so are sending list, while the Windows clients might have already
what it thinks is a full picture of the site (in cache) and in so, is just
sending the retrieval command, which is allowed by the above, and so it works.
This might be true only in some older versions of certain clients; the people
who I witnessed were running old versions of Windows.

I'd try ftp.exe vs /usr/bin/ftp and see what happens, usually two clients that
will only execute exactly what the user types in. Many more advanced clients
and especially web browsers being used as ftp clients send several server
commands per one user command, do caching, and other things which make it hard
to see what's really happening.

--
Linux 2.6.19 on Pentium II (Klamath) up 31.30
Linux 2.6.19 on Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz up 30.01