Hello,

I am trying to build proftpd 1.3.0a on Suse 9 (the kernel is
2.6.8-24.25-smp).

I've tried this with PersistentPasswd off as well as on, but I can't get
NIS authentication working right. It seems only to be able to find
users in the local passwd file. For instance, if I attempt to log in
with an incorrect password as a local user and a NIS user, I get "Login
failed" in each case, but with the local user I get "Incorrect password"
and with the NIS user it's "No such user found"

Also, this is not a general problem with NIS. Our /etc/passwd ends like
this (we have passwd, shadow and group set to "compat" in nsswitch.conf):

uucp:x:10:14:Unix-to-Unix CoPy system:/etc/uucp:/bin/bash
+::::::

and NIS works fine for logins with ssh etc.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong there?

Thanks very much,
Jesse Ross
Systems Administrator
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard