On Thu, November 30, 2006 7:19 pm, Ed Wilts wrote:

>>> This is not a bug, it's by design. The original xferlog format, as
>>> used
>>> by wu-ftpd and subsequently picked up by other FTP servers, translates
>>> spaces to underscores; proftpd is following expected convention.

>> Is there a way to change this? I see what ya mean, just tested a box
>> with
>> wuftpd and same thing. But why would it change the the name in the log
>> file and not change the actual file name also? That's like the log file
>> is telling a lie. Doesn't make any sense to me. Now I'm at a loss how
>> handle this. It's difficult when an underscore could be ether of 2
>> characters. Arrrgghhh.

> If you're going to parse the xferlog file with a perl script, how many
> fields are there? Therein lies the problem - the filename field could
> be any number of fields if you allowed blanks in file names. You could
> quote the filenames, but then you would not be in xferlog format any
> more. You could move the file name to the end, but then you would not
> be in xferlog format. You're darned if you do and darned if you don't.
> That's why TJ suggested something other than xferlog. You can't change
> the name of the uploaded file since then the user would upload "foo bar"
> and find "foo_bar" in the directory, possibly preventing other
> operations from working.

Yes, I was thinking of that, but with the info I now know through custom
logging info from Saunders (which I missed(arrrgghh)) will help me output
log how ever I want. Just before I got outa work, I had it running in a
"%t %f" layout. Now I just gotta work on what kind of time format will
work good. Does anyone know the time format from the xferlog? That way I
can specify the same format in my custom log so I don't have to change
that part of my perl code which is working fine. Thanks all!