On 11/30/2006 11:23 AM, Paul wrote:
> On Thu, November 30, 2006 12:50 pm, TJ Saunders wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all. I am using Proftpd 1.2.10 on Solaris 9 4/04. When a file is
>>> uploaded with spaces, the result in "xferlog.log" is an underscore (_).
>>> But in "access.log", it results in what it should be, a space.
>>>
>>> I've tried upgrading to Proftpd 1.3.0 and ncurses 5.5 from 5.4. Still
>>> the
>>> same results. Any suggestions?

>> This is not a bug, it's by design. The original xferlog format, as used
>> by wu-ftpd and subsequently picked up by other FTP servers, translates
>> spaces to underscores; proftpd is following expected convention.

> Is there a way to change this? I see what ya mean, just tested a box with
> wuftpd and same thing. But why would it change the the name in the log
> file and not change the actual file name also? That's like the log file
> is telling a lie. Doesn't make any sense to me. Now I'm at a loss how to
> handle this. It's difficult when an underscore could be ether of 2
> characters. Arrrgghhh.

If you're going to parse the xferlog file with a perl script, how many
fields are there? Therein lies the problem - the filename field could
be any number of fields if you allowed blanks in file names. You could
quote the filenames, but then you would not be in xferlog format any
more. You could move the file name to the end, but then you would not
be in xferlog format. You're darned if you do and darned if you don't.
That's why TJ suggested something other than xferlog. You can't change
the name of the uploaded file since then the user would upload "foo bar"
and find "foo_bar" in the directory, possibly preventing other
operations from working.

.../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA