>So is your FIFO-reader crashing? Or are you working out your

failure-recovery options?
I'm really just trying to make stuff bullet proof. Our server uses active
/ passive clustering and during the last failover test the xferlog reader
did not start properly. As a result our support guys had to check folders
for what messages had been received and manually process them.

>Well, this _is_ a flaw - not captured anywhere?

do you mean the flaw is in proftpd not writing to the xferlog? Possibly
its got some time out when writing to logs so that it doesn't wait forever,
but it does wait forever when a user logs in and there is no xferlog reader
- confusing!

>To point out why this seems snide (and probably is), I don't use FIFO's

currently. I do everything using an xferlog _logfile_ reader. It
>passively trails the log, detecting when new entries are added and acting

on that information.

Not snidey at all! I'm keen to know how other people have implemented
processing the xferlog. I reckoned trying determine where the pointer was
looking at in the xferlog file was too complicated especially when I need
to handle failover situations (possible I could put the xferlog file on a
shared disk and fail that over too?) and archiving. Simple destructive
reads was easiest for our developers at the time (don't need to worry about
missing data, archiving, which record we're on etc.).

If I don't find a resolution to xferlog FIFO, I'll probably look at
implementing a xferlog _logfile_ reader though - did you build it yourself?
or use tools off the Internet?

thanks,

--
Olly Cruickshank