Thanks for the response,
On Xferlog / FIFO, I was surprised that there was no error or hang writing
to the xferlog if its not available (i.e. if there's no reader the FIFO
writer would normally be forced to wait - this is what happens with new
users logging into proftpd). I'm not expecting Proftpd to know that there
is a reader or to know that it has gone away, but instead to handle the
fact that its not writing to the xferlog properly.

http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/doc/ftpshut.html says that current
connections will be disconnected by ftpshut - but this doesn't happen for
me, only new connections are denied (I've tried a variety of calls
including "ftpshut now" and using "-l" and "-d"). I don't need to
completely kill proftpd, just prevent activity until the xferlog reader is
restored.

Cheers,
--
Olly Cruickshank

"TJ Saunders"

> proftp-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent by: cc
proftp-user-bounc
es@lists.sourcefo Subject
rge.net Re: [Proftpd-user] xferlog FIFO and
ftpshut

14/09/2006 17:35

Please respond
proftp-user@list
s.sourceforge.ne

> is there a way round this? (to stop all transfers if the xferlog FIFO
> reader has crashed)

No. The core proftpd engine has no knowledge or special handling of such
FIFO-based log readers.

> Alternatively we could have a program monitor the FIFO reader and do an
> "ftpshut now" to log off all users and prevent new users logging in.
> However this does not work either. When I run "ftpshut now" it doesn't

log
> off existing users, it only prevents new users from logging in.
>
> Is there a way round this too? (apart from killing all active FTP

sessions
> individually)

No. The ftpshut utility was designed to specifically do what it does: an
"administrative" shutdown. If you wish to stop everything, then you'd
have to stop the proftpd daemon altogether. There is currently no way to
stop all data transfers for all sessions other than stopping the daemon.

TJ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by the lone sea breakers,
And sitting by the desolate streams.