--===============1077164431==

--=====================_366376437==.ALT

I have been given two IPs to play with on a server and I wanted
ProFTPD to run on only those two IPs (no grabbing every IP on the
server). I also wanted to make the configuration read as clearly as
possible, by putting the very different configurations for each site
into separate sections. And so I wanted to use *only*
two sections and omit/discard/disable the server context.

I have found what works, but I can't see where it is mentioned
(enabling use of only sections) except cumulatively and
indirectly.

What works is to specify both
Port 0
and
SocketBindTight on
in the "server context", as in the following abridged configuration:

# Start up as standalone daemon
ServerType standalone
# We only allow connections to the primary and virtual host specified
DefaultServer off
# If we see this we've gotten it wrong
ServerName "FTP server (wrong-way serwer)"

# Working to disable the default "server context"
# DefaultAddress 0.0.0.0
# Disable this section's server
Port 0
# We want daemon to bind only to the identified IPs (standalone mode only)
SocketBindTight on

# budgsvr1a
ServerName "FTP server"

# budgsvr1
ServerName "Budgie FTP server"

I've seen mentions of SocketBindTight to avoid grabbing all IPs on a
server. And I've seen mentions of "Port 0" to disable a particular
section's IP use. Is the combination of these, to allow sole use of
sections to define sites, documented explicitly
somewhere that I've missed?

Here are my 'trials' on a Solaris server:

# - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
# DefaultAddress 0.0.0.0
Port 0
SocketBindTight on

budgsvr1a.ftp *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN
budgsvr1.ftp *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN

Connected to 192.168.233.25.
220 Budgie FTP server ready.

Connected to 192.168.233.26.
220 FTP server ready.

# - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
# DefaultAddress 0.0.0.0
Port 0
# We want daemon to bind only to the identified IPs
# SocketBindTight on

budgsvr1 - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already in use

# - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DefaultAddress 0.0.0.0
Port 0
# SocketBindTight on

0.0.0.0 - setting default address to 0.0.0.0
0.0.0.0 - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already in use

# - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DefaultAddress 0.0.0.0
Port 0
SocketBindTight on

0.0.0.0 - setting default address to 0.0.0.0
budgsvr1a.ftp *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN
budgsvr1.ftp *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN

Connected to 192.168.233.25.
220 Budgie FTP server ready.

Connected to 192.168.233.26.
220 FTP server ready.

# - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
# DefaultAddress 0.0.0.0
# Port 0
SocketBindTight on

- warning: "Budgie FTP server" address/port (192.168.233.25:21)
already in use by "FTP server (wrong-way serwer)"
budgsvr1.ftp *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN
budgsvr1a.ftp *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN

Connected to 192.168.233.25.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.0 Server (FTP server (wrong-way serwer)) [192.168.233.25]

Connected to 192.168.233.26.
220 FTP server ready.

fail set set _
fail _ set _
fail _ _ set
ok set set set
ok _ set set

--=====================_366376437==.ALT

I have been given two IPs to play with on a server and I wanted ProFTPD
to run on only those two IPs (no grabbing every IP on the server).
I also wanted to make the configuration read as clearly as possible, by
putting the very different configurations for each site into separate
<VirtualHost> sections.  And so I wanted to use *only* two
<VirtualHost> sections and omit/discard/disable the server
context.

I have found what works, but I can't see where it is mentioned (enabling
use of only <VirtualHost> sections) except cumulatively and
indirectly.

What works is to specify both

    Port 0

and

    SocketBindTight on

in the "server context", as in the following abridged
configuration:

  # Start up as standalone daemon

  ServerType      standalone

  # We only allow connections to the primary and virtual host
specified

  DefaultServer   off

  # If we see this we've gotten it wrong

  ServerName      "FTP server
(wrong-way serwer)"

  # Working to disable the default "server context"

  # DefaultAddress  0.0.0.0

  # Disable this section's server

  Port 0

  # We want daemon to bind only to the identified IPs
(standalone mode only)

  SocketBindTight on

  <VirtualHost 192.168.233.26>  # budgsvr1a

    ServerName      "FTP
server"

  </VirtualHost>

  <VirtualHost 192.168.233.25>  # budgsvr1

    ServerName
"Budgie FTP server"

  </VirtualHost>

I've seen mentions of SocketBindTight to avoid grabbing all IPs on a
server.  And I've seen mentions of "Port 0" to disable a
particular section's IP use.   Is the combination of these, to
allow sole use of <VirtualHost> sections to define sites,
documented explicitly somewhere that I've missed?

Here are my 'trials' on a Solaris server:

  # - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    # DefaultAddress  0.0.0.0

    Port 0

    SocketBindTight on

[...]