>If all of the domains are hosted on 1 IP address, is it safe to say that
>there is a Unix account for each website? If so, you only need 1 ftp
>server configuration, which does not even require a virtual host.
>Everyone logs in to the same ftp server and their access is determined by
>their account name.

>Does that make sense in your environment?

Partially. This is to what we fall back at the moment.
There is one user account per website and no, we don need a vitual
host for this. I know that.
At the moment we run the standard config for proftpd.

The point is, there are a few websites who want an (anonymous) ftp
download area.
Three websites to be exact. one of them would like to have
authenticated upload also but not in a short term.