There were two errors in network configurations that prevented the
set up of an "active" data connection which is the only kind of
connection the ISP would allow me to use.

The first error was that statefull packet inspection was turned off
in my router/firewall which allowed local (e.g. 10.0.1.x) addresses
to be sent in the port commands. These commands were then rejected
by proftpd since they didn't match the real ip used to set up the
connection.

After that was fixed, the transfers just hung after a request was
"accepted". This turned out to be caused by the firewall built into
OS X being left on after a trip. The client's (OS X) firewall didn't
allow an incoming connection. Once this firewall was turned off,
everything worked fine. Interestingly, the data connection didn't
work with the client firewall turned on and ftp enabled, but I didn't
investigate why. Probably due to port forwarding of ftp on the
router to a server on the local net.

Hope this helps. Hal