On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 04:23:19PM +0200, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:
> > It's in multiple places including the kernel. All of the user
> > Your interactive command may work depending on where in the group list

> I don't believie it's the case, although the way you put it it would be
> extremely difficult to prove it one way or the other.

It's fairly easy to prove. Just set up a directory with only group
access and try to create a file in it from the user that has only group
access to the directory. Do that for the first group in the user's
list, the last group, and a few in the middle. You should be able to
prove it one way or another in about 5 minutes.

When logging on to this account via ftp, proftpd does log a message to
either messagse or secure (I can't remember off the top of my head) that
the group membership can not be set.

> 'groups' tool shows all the right groups, and I haven't noticed other
> problems beside proftp, do you know how/where to seek/raise this limit in
> proftpd?

groups simply reads the groups file so it will return information that
ends up not being valid. I had a user with about 45 groups in his list
and he didn't complain until we migrated to proftpd. With wu-ftpd, he
simply got only 32 groups but the access he needed happened to be in
that list. When we migrated to proftpd, he got none of the groups and
that's when he finally complained.

I don't believe that this is a proftpd limitation - it's an OS
limitation.

Which operating system release are you running?

.../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA