On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:05:03PM +0200, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:
> Hello, is there a limit on number of groups given user can be a member of?
> Here's what I see -
> directory TST with group owner TestGroup, chmod g+w TST
> user tst, member of group TestGroup, when total number of groups this user
> belongs to is low, then he can write inside that directory,
> when number of groups is high ( ~ 50-100 ), - permission denied.

It depends on your distribution. In RHEL3, the maximum is 32 groups. In
RHEL4, the maximum is 64K groups. I believe that all distributions
based on 2.4 or earlier are limited to 32 groups.

The 32 groiup maximum has been around for a long time and is not easily
changed.

I noticed an interesting change when I upgraded from a RHL 6.2/wu-ftpd
combination to RHEL3/ProFTPd combination. With the old setup, the user
would have access to 32 groups even though he was a member of (say) 50.
Which 32 groups seemed to vary - I heard reports that he had the first
32 groups and other times I heard he had access to the last 32 groups.
Personally, I think the current approach is better - all or none.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA