I've been happily running proftpd for a couple of years, but I'm
seeing very weird problems last days (without changing anything). When
I start the daemon everything works smoothly for some hours, and then
I only get "421 Service not available, remote server has closed
connection" when I try to log in. The only workaround is to remove the
binary (apt-get remove proftpd in debian) and install it again.

Any hints?

Thanks a lot!

Edu