On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 11:24:58AM -0700, TJ Saunders wrote:

> > last shows the last login time. finger does not.

> I'm not sure what 'finger' is using to determine the last login time,
> then, if not the utmp/wtmp log files.

It pulls the information from /var/log/lastlog

Here's some documentation that Google picked up:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web...wtmp&section=5

wtmp typically rolls around every month so it is better suited for
commands like last where you want to know about every case where the
user recently signed on. lastlog is much more useful if you want to
know only about the last time - this information is kept (I think)
forever. It's a sparse file that requires only a single entry per user.

The wu-ftpd source has a lastlog.c routine with a sample of how it's
used.

> > I've got many (>500) external customer accounts that access the system
> > exclusively via ftp. I'd like to know when the account was last used.

> If you happen to be using mod_sql, you can use SQLLog to track this in a
> SQL table. Otherwise, you may have to collect the information from
> processing of log files.

Nope, no mod_sql here...

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE