data transfer "freeze up" using pptpd/ppp (VPN) - PPP

This is a discussion on data transfer "freeze up" using pptpd/ppp (VPN) - PPP ; Packages and versions: 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 ppp-2.4.4-1.fc6 pptpd-1.3.3-1.fc6 options.pptpd: require-mschap-v2 require-mppe-128 proxyarp debug lock nobsdcomp novj novjccomp nologfd auth nodefaultroute plugin winbind.so ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1 --require-membership-of=LANDOFMILKHONEY+RemoteAccess" I have no issues connecting nor do I have a problem on the initial connection of ...

  1. data transfer "freeze up" using pptpd/ppp (VPN)

    Packages and versions:
    2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
    ppp-2.4.4-1.fc6
    pptpd-1.3.3-1.fc6

    options.pptpd:
    require-mschap-v2
    require-mppe-128
    proxyarp
    debug
    lock

    nobsdcomp
    novj
    novjccomp

    nologfd

    auth
    nodefaultroute
    plugin winbind.so
    ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1
    --require-membership-of=LANDOFMILKHONEY+RemoteAccess"

    I have no issues connecting nor do I have a problem on the initial
    connection of resources over the VPN such as SSH/FTP/HTTP/RDP/SMB but
    the moment I start generating a pile of traffic, aka large file
    transfer, my vpn connection seizes up and all I see in the logs are
    piles of ...

    Jan 8 15:41:37 edge pppd[10836]: rcvd [proto=0xeae8] 8b bd 9d 01 73 b5
    4e 0d a1 ac 8e e8 15 84 79 e2 a5 24 49 43 af 4b eb d1 51 a4 ee 5b ae b2
    8
    d d1 ...
    Jan 8 15:41:37 edge pppd[10836]: Unsupported protocol 0xeae8 received
    Jan 8 15:41:37 edge pppd[10836]: Unsupported protocol 0xeae8 received
    Jan 8 15:41:37 edge pppd[10836]: sent [LCP ProtRej id=0x2 ea e8 8b bd
    9d 01 73 b5 4e 0d a1 ac 8e e8 15 84 79 e2 a5 24 49 43 af 4b eb d1 51 a4
    ee
    5b ae b2 ...]

    I have to hang up my vpn session and re-establish it to get
    connectivity again. As long as I do not generate a pile of traffic, it
    is stable, does anyone know why?

  2. Re: data transfer "freeze up" using pptpd/ppp (VPN)

    "Hawkeye" writes:

    >Packages and versions:
    >2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
    >ppp-2.4.4-1.fc6
    >pptpd-1.3.3-1.fc6

    >options.pptpd:
    >require-mschap-v2
    >require-mppe-128
    >proxyarp

    Those all look like you are the ISP fro a remote system. Is that right?

    >debug
    >lock

    >nobsdcomp
    >novj
    >novjccomp

    >nologfd

    >auth

    As does this

    >nodefaultroute
    >plugin winbind.so
    >ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1
    >--require-membership-of=LANDOFMILKHONEY+RemoteAccess"

    >I have no issues connecting nor do I have a problem on the initial
    >connection of resources over the VPN such as SSH/FTP/HTTP/RDP/SMB but
    >the moment I start generating a pile of traffic, aka large file
    >transfer, my vpn connection seizes up and all I see in the logs are
    >piles of ...

    You need to show us the negotiation with the other end and the beginning of
    the problem. The system should not be restarting ppp negotiations.
    I suspect that your do not escape the right things. Eg
    asyncmap 0xa0000
    might help as an option.

    >Jan 8 15:41:37 edge pppd[10836]: rcvd [proto=0xeae8] 8b bd 9d 01 73 b5
    >4e 0d a1 ac 8e e8 15 84 79 e2 a5 24 49 43 af 4b eb d1 51 a4 ee 5b ae b2

    It is interpreting the stream as ppp commands. It should not be.

    >8
    >d d1 ...
    >Jan 8 15:41:37 edge pppd[10836]: Unsupported protocol 0xeae8 received
    >Jan 8 15:41:37 edge pppd[10836]: Unsupported protocol 0xeae8 received
    >Jan 8 15:41:37 edge pppd[10836]: sent [LCP ProtRej id=0x2 ea e8 8b bd
    >9d 01 73 b5 4e 0d a1 ac 8e e8 15 84 79 e2 a5 24 49 43 af 4b eb d1 51 a4
    >ee
    > 5b ae b2 ...]

    >I have to hang up my vpn session and re-establish it to get
    >connectivity again. As long as I do not generate a pile of traffic, it
    >is stable, does anyone know why?

  3. Re: data transfer "freeze up" using pptpd/ppp (VPN)

    On Jan 10, 1:42 pm, Unruh wrote:
    > Those all look like you are the ISP fro a remote system. Is that right?

    Yes this is the server side.

    > You need to show us the negotiation with the other end and the beginning of
    > the problem. The system should not be restarting ppp negotiations.
    > I suspect that your do not escape the right things. Eg
    > asyncmap 0xa0000
    > might help as an option.

    I just tried the asyncmap 0xa0000 option and it made no difference. The
    moment I attempt any large sustained transfer, I am swamped with those
    errors. If I can keep the traffic minimal, like pings, or even RDP, I
    can keep the connection up for hours.

  4. Re: data transfer "freeze up" using pptpd/ppp (VPN)

    "apearse" writes:

    >On Jan 10, 1:42 pm, Unruh wrote:
    >> Those all look like you are the ISP fro a remote system. Is that right?

    >Yes this is the server side.

    >> You need to show us the negotiation with the other end and the beginning of
    >> the problem. The system should not be restarting ppp negotiations.
    >> I suspect that your do not escape the right things. Eg
    >> asyncmap 0xa0000
    >> might help as an option.

    >I just tried the asyncmap 0xa0000 option and it made no difference. The
    >moment I attempt any large sustained transfer, I am swamped with those
    >errors. If I can keep the traffic minimal, like pings, or even RDP, I
    >can keep the connection up for hours.

    As I said, show us the negotiations at the beginning of the session up to
    the point where the pppd session begins to show those weird entries. The
    ppp negotiations should not be open. Something is opening them again, or
    they never closed.

  5. Re: data transfer "freeze up" using pptpd/ppp (VPN)

    I have had to drop this approach and installed windows 2003 and had it
    up and running within 1.5 hours without a problem since. Thanks for the
    feedback and suggestions though. I appreciated the support.

+ Reply to Thread