pppd accepts Terminate-Ack with different identifier - PPP

This is a discussion on pppd accepts Terminate-Ack with different identifier - PPP ; Hi, I am simulating one peer and using pppd as another peer. When the authentication fails, pppd sends Auth-Nak and Terminate-Req. When I simulate a Terminate-Ack with an identifier different from the one received in Terminate-Req, the pppd accepts it ...

  1. pppd accepts Terminate-Ack with different identifier

    Hi,
    I am simulating one peer and using pppd as another peer. When the
    authentication
    fails, pppd sends Auth-Nak and Terminate-Req. When I simulate a
    Terminate-Ack
    with an identifier different from the one received in Terminate-Req,
    the pppd accepts
    it and terminates connection instead of sending the Terminate-Req for
    the Max-Terminate
    times (default is 2).

    Here is the log.
    ------------------------

    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/4
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x3]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    rcvd [PAP AuthReq id=0x3 user="root" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthNak id=0x3 "Login incorrect"]
    PAP peer authentication failed for root
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Authentication failed"]
    rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x4]
    Connection terminated.

    Thanks in advance.
    -Sriram K

  2. Re: pppd accepts Terminate-Ack with different identifier

    "ksriram29@gmail.com" writes:
    > I am simulating one peer and using pppd as another peer. When the
    > authentication
    > fails, pppd sends Auth-Nak and Terminate-Req. When I simulate a
    > Terminate-Ack
    > with an identifier different from the one received in Terminate-Req,
    > the pppd accepts
    > it and terminates connection instead of sending the Terminate-Req for
    > the Max-Terminate
    > times (default is 2).

    So? What's the point of this test?

    RFC 1661 does not require that the Identifier field is tested for LCP
    Terminate-Ack. The RFC describes the Identifier tests for
    Configure-Ack, Configure-Nak, and Configure-Reject, not for the other
    messages.

    --
    James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W

+ Reply to Thread