pppoatm traffic to my dsl modem - PPP

This is a discussion on pppoatm traffic to my dsl modem - PPP ; i have a pppoatm link. if i enable syslog messages on my dsl modem, should i be seeing any traffic that is not destinated for/from my IP addy? i understood that ppp links were not promiscuous....

  1. pppoatm traffic to my dsl modem

    i have a pppoatm link. if i enable syslog messages on my dsl modem,
    should i be seeing any traffic that is not destinated for/from my IP
    addy? i understood that ppp links were not promiscuous.

  2. Re: pppoatm traffic to my dsl modem

    In article <1163692961.185313.88980@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    tmike wrote:
    >i have a pppoatm link. if i enable syslog messages on my dsl modem,
    >should i be seeing any traffic that is not destinated for/from my IP
    >addy? i understood that ppp links were not promiscuous.

    PPP links are by definition "Point-to-Point", meaning there's only
    you and your peer on the link. There's no such thing as promiscuous
    on a PPP link.

    If you see traffic not associated with your IP address (and not multicast/
    broadcast), the router may be broken and sending you someone else's packets?
    It's hard to say without more details.

    Patrick
    =========== For PPP Protocol Analysis, check out PacketView Pro! ===========
    Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com