INTERNET TO GPRS CONNECTION - PPP

This is a discussion on INTERNET TO GPRS CONNECTION - PPP ; I want to know how to send data to a GPRS enabled device, if i got static ip and port address? I can RECEIVE data from the device but to INITIATE the conection from internet and connect to the GPRS ...

  1. INTERNET TO GPRS CONNECTION

    I want to know how to send data to a GPRS enabled device, if i got
    static ip and port address? I can RECEIVE data from the device but to
    INITIATE the conection from internet and connect to the GPRS device is
    a failure so far.Am working in VB 6. Please Help.

  2. Re: INTERNET TO GPRS CONNECTION

    AB schrieb:
    > I want to know how to send data to a GPRS enabled device, if i got
    > static ip and port address? I can RECEIVE data from the device but to
    > INITIATE the conection from internet and connect to the GPRS device is
    > a failure so far.Am working in VB 6. Please Help.

    First a question. Du you use a own APN or the APN of your Network Provider?

    If you use the APN of your Network Provider you won't get a IP wich is
    accessible over the Internet. The Network Providers use a private Network.

    --
    Andreas Hezel
    Andreas Hezel ---> Mail: AndreasHezel@gmx.de

  3. Re: INTERNET TO GPRS CONNECTION

    Thanks for telling me that, How can i have my own APN ? as currently am
    using my cell phone comapny provided APN.

  4. Re: INTERNET TO GPRS CONNECTION

    On 2006-11-15, AB wrote:
    > I want to know how to send data to a GPRS enabled device, if i got
    > static ip and port address? I can RECEIVE data from the device but to
    > INITIATE the conection from internet and connect to the GPRS device is
    > a failure so far.Am working in VB 6. Please Help.

    First, check from your provider/cell phone company that they allow incoming
    ICMP/TCP/UDP connections to your phone/SIM/subscription. Most consumer
    subscriptions have firewalls between the Internet and GPRS network which
    don't allow incoming connection attempts, since users may pay per bit or
    have some per month transfer limit and the Internet noise would hit
    them hard. And it would drain the battery too.

    Second, if your provider allows incoming data to your static IP address,
    does it open the GPRS connection to the phone automagically or do you
    have to make sure the GPRS stuff is active on the phone side.

    Third, this isn't really PPP stuff so some other networking or device
    specific newsgroup/forum would be better for you.

    -Mikko

  5. Re: INTERNET TO GPRS CONNECTION

    Receving inbound data from the internet to a gprs device is only possible
    after initiating outbound data first. You send an outbound packet to the
    fixed-end site and the fixed-end returns another packet. Depending upon the
    service provider, the window of opportunity to receive inbound after the
    outbound packet is limited. I've seen this be as low as 10 second to 15
    minutes.

    Also, if your data is not too big, you should consider SMS which works on
    cdma,iDEN and GPRS.

    "AB" wrote in message
    news:1163589864.394365.224390@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I want to know how to send data to a GPRS enabled device, if i got
    > static ip and port address? I can RECEIVE data from the device but to
    > INITIATE the conection from internet and connect to the GPRS device is
    > a failure so far.Am working in VB 6. Please Help.

+ Reply to Thread