authentication with md5 chap fails - PPP

This is a discussion on authentication with md5 chap fails - PPP ; Hi, I tried to connect a linux client to windows RAS. The authentication protocol is CHAP and the algorithm is md5. But I get a CHAP Failure in the authentication phase. There is no mistake on the user name or ...

  1. authentication with md5 chap fails

    Hi,
    I tried to connect a linux client to windows RAS. The authentication
    protocol is CHAP and the algorithm is md5. But I get a CHAP Failure in
    the authentication phase. There is no mistake on the user name or
    password. The same thing with MSCHAP (and also PAP as auth
    protocol)algorithm gets authenticated and works fine. CHAP
    authentication with md5 algorithm works fine with another Linux machine
    as peer.

    Windows XP is the Remote Access Server. Client is Fedora Core 3 with
    pppd 2.4.3.
    Anybody with similar experience or what could be the problem?

    Thanks & Regards,
    Sriram K

  2. Re: authentication with md5 chap fails

    ksriram29@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I tried to connect a linux client to windows RAS. The authentication
    > protocol is CHAP and the algorithm is md5. But I get a CHAP
    > Failure in the authentication phase. There is no mistake on the
    > user name or password. The same thing with MSCHAP (and also PAP as
    > auth protocol)algorithm gets authenticated and works fine. CHAP
    > authentication with md5 algorithm works fine with another Linux
    > machine as peer.

    > Windows XP is the Remote Access Server. Client is Fedora Core 3 with
    > pppd 2.4.3.
    > Anybody with similar experience or what could be the problem?

    Microsoft.

    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* My confidence in this answer (X), on a scale of 0 to 10:

  3. Re: authentication with md5 chap fails

    "ksriram29@gmail.com" writes:
    > I tried to connect a linux client to windows RAS. The authentication
    > protocol is CHAP and the algorithm is md5. But I get a CHAP Failure in
    > the authentication phase. There is no mistake on the user name or
    > password. The same thing with MSCHAP (and also PAP as auth
    > protocol)algorithm gets authenticated and works fine. CHAP
    > authentication with md5 algorithm works fine with another Linux machine
    > as peer.
    >
    > Windows XP is the Remote Access Server. Client is Fedora Core 3 with
    > pppd 2.4.3.
    > Anybody with similar experience or what could be the problem?

    If you don't post debug logs and configuration information, it's
    unlikely that anyone will be able to help you.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  4. Re: authentication with md5 chap fails

    "ksriram29@gmail.com" writes:

    >Hi,
    >I tried to connect a linux client to windows RAS. The authentication
    >protocol is CHAP and the algorithm is md5. But I get a CHAP Failure in
    >the authentication phase. There is no mistake on the user name or
    >password. The same thing with MSCHAP (and also PAP as auth
    >protocol)algorithm gets authenticated and works fine. CHAP
    >authentication with md5 algorithm works fine with another Linux machine
    >as peer.

    >Windows XP is the Remote Access Server. Client is Fedora Core 3 with
    >pppd 2.4.3.
    >Anybody with similar experience or what could be the problem?

    Since you again give no details, how in the world are we to know what the
    problem is?
    First guess, set up the /etc/chap-secrets file properly.

    >Thanks & Regards,
    >Sriram K

+ Reply to Thread