Code - Reject - PPP

This is a discussion on Code - Reject - PPP ; Hi, What will happen if I send a code-rej (catastrophic) for a Configure-Req (the first one I receive)? Thanks. Sriram K...

  1. Code - Reject

    Hi,
    What will happen if I send a code-rej (catastrophic) for a
    Configure-Req (the first one I receive)?

    Thanks.
    Sriram K

  2. Re: Code - Reject

    ksriram29@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > What will happen if I send a code-rej (catastrophic) for a
    > Configure-Req (the first one I receive)?

    The Code-Reject is usually sent when the protocol or code number is
    unknown to the implementation. If the peer realizes you can't provide
    something it requires then it should reply with a Term-Request.

    --
    Clifford Kite

  3. Re: Code - Reject

    Clifford Kite writes:
    > ksriram29@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > What will happen if I send a code-rej (catastrophic) for a
    > > Configure-Req (the first one I receive)?

    > The Code-Reject is usually sent when the protocol or code number is
    > unknown to the implementation. If the peer realizes you can't provide
    > something it requires then it should reply with a Term-Request.

    Right. It's illegal to send Code-Reject in reply to Configure-Request
    (or any of the well-known codes). No implementation should ever do
    that, and I can't say I've seen one that does.

    Pppd doesn't look at the values, so it doesn't recognize the RXJ-
    event here. It basically treats all received Code-Rejects as RXJ+.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network