Unsupported protocol 0x1 received - PPP

This is a discussion on Unsupported protocol 0x1 received - PPP ; Hi I use Demon as my ISP and tings had been going nicely until about Thurs 28 Sept 2006 when my connection to the Net via Demon broadband started going very slow from my box from both the Linux and ...

  1. Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    Hi
    I use Demon as my ISP and tings had been going nicely until about Thurs
    28 Sept 2006 when my
    connection to the Net via Demon broadband started going very slow from
    my box from both the Linux and WinXP operating systems.

    I get (very!) numerous of the following in SYSLOG (Linux) and in WinXP
    the number of errors in the 'connection status' is about 300 every 5
    minutes.

    Anybody else using Demon and have noticed anything or can otherwise
    help? It's such that sometimes I have to try half a dozen times before
    connection is established and even then it's really really slow.
    Thanks, Michael

    Oct 1 20:03:44 manchester-campaigns pppd[5621]: Unsupported protocol
    0x1 received
    Oct 1 20:03:44 manchester-campaigns pppd[5621]: sent [LCP ProtRej
    id=0x61 00 01 00 21 45 00 01 e2 2b a9 40 00 33 06 2c 50 82 58 c8 38 3e
    38 65 54 00 8f b2 b1 2b 0d 88 e1 ...]
    Oct 1 20:03:44 manchester-campaigns pppd[5621]: rcvd [proto=0x1] 00 21
    45 00 00 98 6f b0 40 00 3b 06 76 4c c2 d9 f2 fd 3e 38 65 54 00 6e b4 aa
    1c 5d c9 24 a0 19 ...

  2. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    "michael" writes:
    > I use Demon as my ISP and tings had been going nicely until about Thurs
    > 28 Sept 2006 when my
    > connection to the Net via Demon broadband started going very slow from
    > my box from both the Linux and WinXP operating systems.

    Any details you can provide would be helpful. What sort of link? Is
    it plain old async, ISDN, or something else? What sorts of
    configuration options are you using? Can you post _debug_ logs of the
    connection establishment?

    > Oct 1 20:03:44 manchester-campaigns pppd[5621]: sent [LCP ProtRej
    > id=0x61 00 01 00 21 45 00 01 e2 2b a9 40 00 33 06 2c 50 82 58 c8 38 3e
    > 38 65 54 00 8f b2 b1 2b 0d 88 e1 ...]

    Interesting. That _almost_ looks like an IP frame, but it has a bogus
    "01" octet pasted on the front.

    Some things that might cause such a thing would include VJ compression
    bugs (try turning off VJ compression -- "novj") and, if this were
    ISDN, bugs in the TA firmware.

    --
    James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W

  3. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    James Carlson wrote:
    > "michael" writes:
    > > I use Demon as my ISP and tings had been going nicely until about Thurs
    > > 28 Sept 2006 when my
    > > connection to the Net via Demon broadband started going very slow from
    > > my box from both the Linux and WinXP operating systems.

    > Any details you can provide would be helpful. What sort of link? Is
    > it plain old async, ISDN, or something else? What sorts of
    > configuration options are you using? Can you post _debug_ logs of the
    > connection establishment?

    It's (meant to be) 2Mb broadband (adsl?). Everything worked fine, no
    changes this end...

    Not sure what you mean by "debug logs" (Linux o/s syslog file??)

    > > Oct 1 20:03:44 manchester-campaigns pppd[5621]: sent [LCP ProtRej
    > > id=0x61 00 01 00 21 45 00 01 e2 2b a9 40 00 33 06 2c 50 82 58 c8 38 3e
    > > 38 65 54 00 8f b2 b1 2b 0d 88 e1 ...]

    > Interesting. That _almost_ looks like an IP frame, but it has a bogus
    > "01" octet pasted on the front.
    >
    > Some things that might cause such a thing would include VJ compression
    > bugs (try turning off VJ compression -- "novj") and, if this were
    > ISDN, bugs in the TA firmware.

    not sure what TA means...

    ta, M

  4. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    "michael" writes:
    > James Carlson wrote:
    > > "michael" writes:
    > > > I use Demon as my ISP and tings had been going nicely until about Thurs
    > > > 28 Sept 2006 when my
    > > > connection to the Net via Demon broadband started going very slow from
    > > > my box from both the Linux and WinXP operating systems.

    > > Any details you can provide would be helpful. What sort of link? Is
    > > it plain old async, ISDN, or something else? What sorts of
    > > configuration options are you using? Can you post _debug_ logs of the
    > > connection establishment?

    > It's (meant to be) 2Mb broadband (adsl?). Everything worked fine, no
    > changes this end...

    OK. Using PPPoA or PPPoE?

    > Not sure what you mean by "debug logs" (Linux o/s syslog file??)

    Run pppd with the "debug" option, and make sure that daemon.debug is
    redirected to a file via /etc/syslog.conf (and if you must change that
    file to make it so, then make sure you do a "pkill -HUP syslogd"
    afterwards).

    Alternatively, use the "updetach" option on pppd to cause it to log to
    the current tty during connection establishment. The disadvantage to
    doing that is that you don't get nice timestamps.

    At a guess, this may be a problem with the ADSL adapter device.

    > > Some things that might cause such a thing would include VJ compression
    > > bugs (try turning off VJ compression -- "novj") and, if this were
    > > ISDN, bugs in the TA firmware.
    > >

    > not sure what TA means...

    "Terminal Adapter" -- it's the device used in an ISDN connection to
    hook your computer up to the telephone network. It looks and behaves
    sort of like a modem, but it doesn't actually modulate or demodulate.
    Instead, it converts between synchronous and asynchronous PPP.

    Since you're apparently not using ISDN, the "if this were" clause
    evaluates to false, and this detail doesn't matter. ;-}

    --
    James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W

  5. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    James Carlson wrote:
    > "michael" writes:
    > > James Carlson wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Any details you can provide would be helpful. What sort of link? Is
    > > > it plain old async, ISDN, or something else? What sorts of
    > > > configuration options are you using? Can you post _debug_ logs of the
    > > > connection establishment?

    > > It's (meant to be) 2Mb broadband (adsl?). Everything worked fine, no
    > > changes this end...

    > OK. Using PPPoA or PPPoE?
    >
    > > Not sure what you mean by "debug logs" (Linux o/s syslog file??)

    > Run pppd with the "debug" option, and make sure that daemon.debug is
    > redirected to a file via /etc/syslog.conf (and if you must change that
    > file to make it so, then make sure you do a "pkill -HUP syslogd"
    > afterwards).

    I've put a copy of the pppd debug (I grepped for pppd in the
    /var/log/debug) at
    http://ratty.phy.umist.ac.uk/michael/linux/pppd.log
    and pppd from syslog at
    http://ratty.phy.umist.ac.uk/michael...yslog_pppd.log

    > At a guess, this may be a problem with the ADSL adapter device.

    I booted into WinXP and used speedtester.bt.com which said 1850kps
    d/load, then reconnected to Demon and was getting more like 100kps...

    Michael, Manchester

  6. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    "michael" writes:
    > > OK. Using PPPoA or PPPoE?

    Any idea?

    > I've put a copy of the pppd debug (I grepped for pppd in the
    > /var/log/debug) at
    > http://ratty.phy.umist.ac.uk/michael/linux/pppd.log
    > and pppd from syslog at
    > http://ratty.phy.umist.ac.uk/michael...yslog_pppd.log

    It looks to me like you have kernel problems. I say that because of
    this curious message:

    read /dev/ppp: Value too large for defined data type

    and the fact that the bizarre "proto=0x1" messages go all the way back
    to the start of the connection and seem to have no relationship with
    the connection state or negotiation.

    So, it doesn't look specifically like a PPP problem, but rather like a
    Linux PPP (or ATM or whatever it is you're really using) problem.

    --
    James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W

  7. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    James Carlson wrote:
    > "michael" writes:
    > > > OK. Using PPPoA or PPPoE?

    > Any idea?

    My /var/log/system has:
    Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: pppd 2.4.4 started by
    root, uid 0
    Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppoa3[5776]: pppoa3 version 1.3.1
    started
    by root (uid 0)
    Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppoa3[5776]: Control thread ready
    Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: using channel 1
    Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: Using interface ppp0
    Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: Connect: ppp0 <-->
    /dev/pts/1
    Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppoa3[5776]: host --> pppoa3 -->
    modem stream ready
    Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppoa3[5776]: modem --> pppoa3 -->
    host stream ready
    Oct 7 15:06:46 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: sent [LCP ConfReq
    id=0x1 ]
    Oct 7 15:06:47 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq
    id=0x1e ]

    Does that help?

    Michael

  8. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    "michael" writes:
    > James Carlson wrote:

    > > Any idea?

    > My /var/log/system has:
    > Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: pppd 2.4.4 started by
    > root, uid 0
    > Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppoa3[5776]: pppoa3 version 1.3.1
    > started

    Ah, ok. I would start by looking for the maintainer of this "pppoa3"
    module. This seems to be (at a guess):

    http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/

    I think the problem is in that module. It's garbling the data sent to
    PPP.

    --
    James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W

  9. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    James Carlson wrote:
    > "michael" writes:
    > > James Carlson wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Any idea?

    > > My /var/log/system has:
    > > Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: pppd 2.4.4 started by
    > > root, uid 0
    > > Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppoa3[5776]: pppoa3 version 1.3.1
    > > started

    > Ah, ok. I would start by looking for the maintainer of this "pppoa3"
    > module. This seems to be (at a guess):
    >
    > http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/
    >
    > I think the problem is in that module. It's garbling the data sent to
    > PPP.

    James. Thanks for the reply. I will contact Steve to see if he has any
    input. However, I note that when running MS WinXP Pro on the same
    machine I also get numerous errors (as shown by the 'connection status'
    (IIRC) dialogue -- I don't know enough about WinXP to find any detailed
    logs).

    Ta, Michael

  10. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    michael wrote:
    > James Carlson wrote:

    > > > My /var/log/system has:
    > > > Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppd[5773]: pppd 2.4.4 started by
    > > > root, uid 0
    > > > Oct 7 15:06:45 manchester-campaigns pppoa3[5776]: pppoa3 version 1.3.1
    > > > started

    > > Ah, ok. I would start by looking for the maintainer of this "pppoa3"
    > > module. This seems to be (at a guess):
    > >
    > > http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/
    > >
    > > I think the problem is in that module. It's garbling the data sent to
    > > PPP.
    > >

    > James. Thanks for the reply. I will contact Steve to see if he has any
    > input. However, I note that when running MS WinXP Pro on the same
    > machine I also get numerous errors (as shown by the 'connection status'
    > (IIRC) dialogue -- I don't know enough about WinXP to find any detailed
    > logs).
    >
    > Ta, Michael

    never got a reply but today...
    very strange.... took my Speedtouch 330 modem to a mate's and with
    their (waitrose) ADSL it gave the expected 2Mbps d/load

    got home, put their D-Link modem/router in and hey presto I'm back to
    2Mbps rather than the 200Kbps!

  11. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    michael wrote:
    > michael wrote:
    > > James Carlson wrote:

    > > > Ah, ok. I would start by looking for the maintainer of this "pppoa3"
    > > > module. This seems to be (at a guess):
    > > >
    > > > http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/
    > > >
    > > > I think the problem is in that module. It's garbling the data sent to
    > > > PPP.
    > > >

    > > James. Thanks for the reply. I will contact Steve to see if he has any
    > > input. However, I note that when running MS WinXP Pro on the same
    > > machine I also get numerous errors (as shown by the 'connection status'
    > > (IIRC) dialogue -- I don't know enough about WinXP to find any detailed
    > > logs).
    > >
    > > Ta, Michael

    > never got a reply but today...
    > very strange.... took my Speedtouch 330 modem to a mate's and with
    > their (waitrose) ADSL it gave the expected 2Mbps d/load
    >
    > got home, put their D-Link modem/router in and hey presto I'm back to
    > 2Mbps rather than the 200Kbps!

    Here's a snapshot of the line health - is this about right? thanks,
    Michael

    Downstream Upstream
    Line Status
    -> ADSL Link Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
    -> SNR 10.5 dB
    -
    -> ATEN 30 dB
    16 dB

    Line Error
    -> ADSL layer
    --> FEC
    0 0
    --> CRC
    0 28
    -> ATM layer
    --> HEC
    1 12

    Frame Counter 1198634
    661666

    Loop Distance: About 6 K ft.

  12. Re: Unsupported protocol 0x1 received

    michael wrote:
    > never got a reply but today...
    > very strange.... took my Speedtouch 330 modem to a mate's and with
    > their (waitrose) ADSL it gave the expected 2Mbps d/load
    >
    > got home, put their D-Link modem/router in and hey presto I'm back to
    > 2Mbps rather than the 200Kbps!

    It sounds to me like a problem with the DSL service and equipment,
    rather
    than a problem specifically with PPP. You should probably contact
    either
    a newsgroup that deals with DSL or someone who knows more about it.

    ---
    James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W

+ Reply to Thread