KPPP Modem Initialization - PPP

This is a discussion on KPPP Modem Initialization - PPP ; I'm trying to use KPPP under Fedora Core 5 _ 64 through a Kyocera 2135 cellphone through a USB to serial converter. From within the KPPP terminal, I can talk to the cellphone fine (ATZ is responded to with OK). ...

  1. KPPP Modem Initialization

    I'm trying to use KPPP under Fedora Core 5 _ 64 through a Kyocera 2135
    cellphone through a USB to serial converter. From within the KPPP
    terminal, I can talk to the cellphone fine (ATZ is responded to with
    OK). However, when I start KPPP, it says in the log window that it's
    initializing the modem and waiting for OK. In fact, the waiting for OK
    seems to come up before the initialization status message. The system
    will then just sit there for a long time. I don't see the
    initialization string show up on the log window. MAYBE the
    initialization starts too early after the port is enabled, or something
    else, but I don't see it in the window, so it's hard to tell. Is there
    a script somewhere that KPPP is running that I can mess with to change
    the initialization sequence (maybe inserting a delay). What strings
    does modem initialization send to the modem, and what responses does it
    wait for? I read something about the modem speaker volume setting
    possibly being sent, but don't find it in the documentation. Perhaps
    that's the problem.

    Anyway, any details on what KPPP is sending and how I can possibly
    adjust that?

    THANKS!

    Harold

  2. Re: KPPP Modem Initialization

    Hi Harold!

    harold@hallikainen.com schreef:

    > Anyway, any details on what KPPP is sending and how I can possibly
    > adjust that?

    Asuming you use KDE; Go the the tab 'customize pppd Arguments' in your
    ppp dailer. Add the argument 'debug' and 'logfile '. In the
    logfile you can see all the pppd stuff going arround.

    As what has to be send to your modem. Almost nothing. A 'ATZ' as init
    should be enough.

    Good luck!
    Shured

  3. Re: KPPP Modem Initialization

    wrote in message
    news:1157867692.154191.83120@i42g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > I'm trying to use KPPP under Fedora Core 5 _ 64 through a Kyocera 2135
    > cellphone through a USB to serial converter. From within the KPPP
    > terminal, I can talk to the cellphone fine (ATZ is responded to with
    > OK). However, when I start KPPP, it says in the log window that it's
    > initializing the modem and waiting for OK. In fact, the waiting for OK
    > seems to come up before the initialization status message. The system
    > will then just sit there for a long time. I don't see the
    > initialization string show up on the log window. MAYBE the
    > initialization starts too early after the port is enabled, or something
    > else, but I don't see it in the window, so it's hard to tell. Is there
    > a script somewhere that KPPP is running that I can mess with to change
    > the initialization sequence (maybe inserting a delay). What strings
    > does modem initialization send to the modem, and what responses does it
    > wait for? I read something about the modem speaker volume setting
    > possibly being sent, but don't find it in the documentation. Perhaps
    > that's the problem.
    >
    > Anyway, any details on what KPPP is sending and how I can possibly
    > adjust that?

    To see what is causing the delay , at a terminal issue the command :

    fuser /dev/ttyS0
    And see what it comes up with and then kill the process , I had the same
    problem a few months ago and once I identified what was causing the delay I
    could track it down and fix it.

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

+ Reply to Thread