PPP connection problems Cingular AC860 modem - PPP

This is a discussion on PPP connection problems Cingular AC860 modem - PPP ; Hi, I've been trying to connect using a Cingular AirCard 860 modem, but haven't been able to get PPP to work. From the log, I assumed that the authentication phase is fine, but it fails in the IP negotiation phase ...

  1. PPP connection problems Cingular AC860 modem

    Hi,

    I've been trying to connect using a Cingular AirCard 860 modem, but
    haven't been able to get PPP to work. From the log, I assumed that the
    authentication phase is fine, but it fails in the IP negotiation phase
    as it doesn't seem to be able to get an IP. But from reading a posting
    in a similar thread I understand that GPRS delays authentication to the
    network layer phase, and the authentication itself may be the problem
    in this case. I am not sure what the issue is. Can anyone help by
    looking at the log and my options file?

    options
    ----------
    -detach
    /dev/ac850_5
    57600
    debug
    asyncmap 0
    nodefaultroute
    usepeerdns
    noauth
    user ****
    password ****
    show-password
    crtscts
    lock
    connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -t3 -f /etc/ppp/peers/ac850chat'

    ppp log:
    ----------
    Serial connection established.
    using channel 7
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ac850_5
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 0x80c07aa> ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 0x80c07aa> ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP DiscReq id=0x1 magic=0x80c07aa]
    rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <1c5f7ab75e85fac252424acdc87e48c6>, name =
    "UMTS_CHAP_SRVR"]
    sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 , name =
    "ispda@cingulargprs.com"]
    rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
    CHAP authentication succeeded
    CHAP authentication succeeded
    sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0.0.0.0> ]
    rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x2 80 fd 01 01 00 0f 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00 15
    03 2f]
    Protocol-Reject for 'Compression Control Protocol' (0x80fd) received
    rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1
    ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 10.11.12.13> ]
    Modem hangup
    Connection terminated.

    Any pointers will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Deepa

  2. Re: PPP connection problems Cingular AC860 modem

    Deepa wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I've been trying to connect using a Cingular AirCard 860 modem, but
    > haven't been able to get PPP to work. From the log, I assumed that the
    > authentication phase is fine, but it fails in the IP negotiation phase
    > as it doesn't seem to be able to get an IP. But from reading a posting
    > in a similar thread I understand that GPRS delays authentication to the
    > network layer phase, and the authentication itself may be the problem
    > in this case. I am not sure what the issue is. Can anyone help by
    > looking at the log and my options file?

    > options
    > ----------
    > -detach
    > /dev/ac850_5
    > 57600
    > debug
    > asyncmap 0
    > nodefaultroute
    > usepeerdns
    > noauth
    > user ****
    > password ****
    > show-password
    > crtscts
    > lock
    > connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -t3 -f /etc/ppp/peers/ac850chat'

    > ppp log:
    > ----------
    > Serial connection established.
    > using channel 7
    > Using interface ppp0
    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ac850_5
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 > 0x80c07aa> ]
    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 > 0x80c07aa> ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP DiscReq id=0x1 magic=0x80c07aa]
    > rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <1c5f7ab75e85fac252424acdc87e48c6>, name =
    > "UMTS_CHAP_SRVR"]
    > sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 , name =
    > "ispda@cingulargprs.com"]
    > rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
    > CHAP authentication succeeded
    > CHAP authentication succeeded
    > sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 > 0.0.0.0> ]
    > rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x2 80 fd 01 01 00 0f 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00 15
    > 03 2f]
    > Protocol-Reject for 'Compression Control Protocol' (0x80fd) received

    This isn't likely a part of your problem, but the peer rejects CCP
    and it would be best to stop requesting it. Try adding the pppd
    option noccp.

    > rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1
    > ]
    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 > 10.11.12.13> ]

    It *appears* that the peer hungup when pppd didn't request ms-wins
    IP addresses as the peer suggested in the unsolicited ConfNak, not
    a surprise. A good bet would be to add

    ms-wins 10.11.12.13
    ms-wins 10.11.12.14

    to your pppd configuration.

    But all bets are off for a GPRS PPP implementation should one of the
    ms-wins addresses above change.

    Maybe pppd needs a "usepeerwins" option.

    > Modem hangup
    > Connection terminated.

    > Any pointers will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    > Deepa

    /* Microsoft is a great marketing organization.
    * It _has_ to be */

  3. Re: PPP connection problems Cingular AC860 modem

    Clifford Kite writes:
    > > rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1
    > > ]
    > > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 > > 10.11.12.13> ]

    > It *appears* that the peer hungup when pppd didn't request ms-wins
    > IP addresses as the peer suggested in the unsolicited ConfNak, not
    > a surprise. A good bet would be to add
    >
    > ms-wins 10.11.12.13
    > ms-wins 10.11.12.14
    >
    > to your pppd configuration.

    That won't work. That sets up pppd to send those addresses *to* the
    peer via IPCP Configure-Nak. It has nothing to do with the IPCP
    Configure-Nak coming *from* the peer.

    > But all bets are off for a GPRS PPP implementation should one of the
    > ms-wins addresses above change.

    I think the real issue is that this is GPRS. GPRS has a design
    "feature" that causes the link to fail during IPCP if the
    authentication information is wrong or if the service isn't available.

    In other words, the non-standard "PPP" used by GPRS lies during the
    actual authentication phase. It claims that the authentication data
    are fine when they really are not. When the state machine gets to
    Network phase and is negotiating IPCP, it discovers that the user
    isn't allowed to use GPRS, and since it can't go back and undo the
    authentication grant, it just disconnects.

    So, the original poster should check his configured user name,
    password, and confirm with his service provider that he really does
    have GPRS service available. Or find another provider.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  4. Re: PPP connection problems Cingular AC860 modem

    James Carlson wrote:
    > Clifford Kite writes:
    >> > rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1
    >> > ]
    >> > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 >> > 10.11.12.13> ]

    >> It *appears* that the peer hungup when pppd didn't request ms-wins
    >> IP addresses as the peer suggested in the unsolicited ConfNak, not
    >> a surprise. A good bet would be to add
    >>
    >> ms-wins 10.11.12.13
    >> ms-wins 10.11.12.14
    >>
    >> to your pppd configuration.

    > That won't work. That sets up pppd to send those addresses *to* the
    > peer via IPCP Configure-Nak. It has nothing to do with the IPCP
    > Configure-Nak coming *from* the peer.

    Right, of course. All I can say is Duh!