FC3 And kppp - PPP

This is a discussion on FC3 And kppp - PPP ; Hi , I have a problem with kppp that I can't fix and I don't know where to start. My system is a duel boot system with FC3 and Windows XP Pro with a external hardware modem that I have ...

  1. FC3 And kppp

    Hi ,

    I have a problem with kppp that I can't fix and I don't know where to start.

    My system is a duel boot system with FC3 and Windows XP Pro with a external
    hardware modem that I have had working really good by using kppp in gnome.
    I have not had a problem with kppp or the modem for quite awhile and I have
    not changed any of the configuration files , the only thing that I have
    changed recently is the init default from init 3 to init 5 to boot into the
    GUI and gnome , but just recently ever time I go to dial in I keep getting
    the error message in kppp of "The modem is busy" and kppp quits , this
    problem occurs in default init 3 and default init 5 .

    I have gone through all of the configuration files that I can think of and
    also got kudzu to redetect the modem but I still keep getting the "modem
    busy" error message , I also can't query the modem using kppp or minicom.

    Here is the way in which I originally set up the modem
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~stevera...kpppconfig.txt

    From the error message that I get , it seems that there is either a process
    running preventing access to the modem or that there is an entry put in one
    of the lock files to prevent access.
    I remember from quite awhile ago that if there is a problem with any
    processes ,then there is a specific lock file that needs to be edited and
    have an entry to remove.

    Does anybody know what this lock file could be or what daemon or running
    process would prevent access to the modem ?

    Thanks.

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  2. Re: FC3 And kppp

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in article
    <44ca6fd8$0$23653$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Sandgroper
    wrote:

    >I have not had a problem with kppp or the modem for quite awhile and I have
    >not changed any of the configuration files , the only thing that I have
    >changed recently is the init default from init 3 to init 5 to boot into the
    >GUI and gnome

    By itself. that shouldn't cause a problem

    >but just recently ever time I go to dial in I keep getting the error
    >message in kppp of "The modem is busy" and kppp quits , this problem
    >occurs in default init 3 and default init 5 .

    Yes, KPPP wants to emulate windoze, and tries to avoid scaring you with
    technical details. You said this is an external modem - RS-232, or USB?

    >I have gone through all of the configuration files that I can think of and
    >also got kudzu to redetect the modem but I still keep getting the "modem
    >busy" error message , I also can't query the modem using kppp or minicom.

    What is the exact error message in minicom. Are you using the modem
    manufacturer's recommended init-string?

    >From the error message that I get , it seems that there is either a process
    >running preventing access to the modem or that there is an entry put in one
    >of the lock files to prevent access.
    >I remember from quite awhile ago that if there is a problem with any
    >processes ,then there is a specific lock file that needs to be edited and
    >have an entry to remove.

    It sounds as if you've been rebooting, and if you look in rc.sysinit, one
    of the things that does during boot is to remove stale lock files.

    >Does anybody know what this lock file could be

    /var/lock/LCK..modem or perhaps /var/lock/LCK..ttySx (where x is a digit).
    This should be in the man page, as well as the rc.sysinit script.

    >what daemon or running process would prevent access to the modem ?

    [compton ~]$ whatis fuser lsof
    fuser (1) - identify processes using files or sockets
    lsof (8) - list open files
    [compton ~]$

    Find out what process is using the modem. Be sure to check the /dev/ttySx
    and /dev/modem devices if you have them.

    Old guy

  3. Re: FC3 And kppp

    Somebody by the name of Moe Trin scribbled in comp.protocols.ppp
    :

    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in
    > article <44ca6fd8$0$23653$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    > Sandgroper wrote:
    >
    >>I have not had a problem with kppp or the modem for quite awhile and I
    >>have not changed any of the configuration files , the only thing that I
    >>have changed recently is the init default from init 3 to init 5 to boot
    >>into the GUI and gnome

    > By itself. that shouldn't cause a problem
    >
    >>but just recently ever time I go to dial in I keep getting the error
    >>message in kppp of "The modem is busy" and kppp quits , this problem
    >>occurs in default init 3 and default init 5 .

    > Yes, KPPP wants to emulate windoze, and tries to avoid scaring you with
    > technical details. You said this is an external modem - RS-232, or USB?
    >
    >>I have gone through all of the configuration files that I can think of and
    >>also got kudzu to redetect the modem but I still keep getting the "modem
    >>busy" error message , I also can't query the modem using kppp or minicom.

    > What is the exact error message in minicom. Are you using the modem
    > manufacturer's recommended init-string?
    >
    >>From the error message that I get , it seems that there is either a
    >>process running preventing access to the modem or that there is an entry
    >>put in one of the lock files to prevent access.
    >>I remember from quite awhile ago that if there is a problem with any
    >>processes ,then there is a specific lock file that needs to be edited and
    >>have an entry to remove.

    > It sounds as if you've been rebooting, and if you look in rc.sysinit, one
    > of the things that does during boot is to remove stale lock files.
    >
    >>Does anybody know what this lock file could be

    > /var/lock/LCK..modem or perhaps /var/lock/LCK..ttySx (where x is a
    > digit). This should be in the man page, as well as the rc.sysinit script.
    >
    >>what daemon or running process would prevent access to the modem ?

    > [compton ~]$ whatis fuser lsof
    > fuser (1) - identify processes using files or sockets
    > lsof (8) - list open files
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > Find out what process is using the modem. Be sure to check the /dev/ttySx
    > and /dev/modem devices if you have them.
    >
    > Old guy

    Thanks for your reply , I have is a Dynalink SERIAL modem with a RS-232
    connector that is connected to /dev/ttyS0 ( comm 1 ) and it is a full
    hardware modem that has never caused any problems in either Linux or
    Windows and the only init string that I am using is to display the connect
    speed , ATW2

    I used the commands that you suggested and I have managed to get a internet
    connection .
    When I use the command fuser /dev/ttyS0 it comes up with an entry of
    "inputattach" and when I kill that process I can get access to the modem
    and dial my ISP.

    But after I disconnect the modem and re-boot the system , I keep getting the
    same output from fuser /dev/ttyS0 of inputattach.

    Do you know what "inputattach" is an how to get rid of it everytime I boot
    up ?
    There is no man entry for "inputattach" and it doesn't show up in the
    servieces listing either only in the current active processes with either
    using ps or system monitor.

    I have tried to use minicom but I don't know how to use it.

    I have checked for any lock files in /var/lock/ and I can't see any files
    relating to the modem or /dev/ttySo when I first booted up , but once I
    have an internet connection there is a /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0 that contains
    the pid # for /dev/ttyS0 , which I assume is the normal thing because it's
    currently active.

    Do you have any other suggestions ?

    ------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  4. Re: FC3 And kppp

    Hello,

    Sandgroper a écrit :

    > When I use the command fuser /dev/ttyS0 it comes up with an entry of
    > "inputattach" and when I kill that process I can get access to the modem
    > and dial my ISP.
    >
    > But after I disconnect the modem and re-boot the system , I keep getting the
    > same output from fuser /dev/ttyS0 of inputattach.
    >
    > Do you know what "inputattach" is an how to get rid of it everytime I boot
    > up ?

    It seems to be related to joystick management :
    inputattach (1) - attach a serial line to a joystick device

    In the Debian distribution it belongs to the "joystick" package.

  5. Re: FC3 And kppp

    "Pascal Hambourg" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Sandgroper a écrit :
    >>
    >> When I use the command fuser /dev/ttyS0 it comes up with an entry of
    >> "inputattach" and when I kill that process I can get access to the modem
    >> and dial my ISP.
    >>
    >> But after I disconnect the modem and re-boot the system , I keep getting
    >> the
    >> same output from fuser /dev/ttyS0 of inputattach.
    >>
    >> Do you know what "inputattach" is an how to get rid of it everytime I
    >> boot
    >> up ?

    > It seems to be related to joystick management :
    > inputattach (1) - attach a serial line to a joystick device
    >
    > In the Debian distribution it belongs to the "joystick" package.

    Mmmm , that's odd , I have not got a joystick attached to my machine , I
    will do a search of /dev and see if it is listed.

    Thanks

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  6. Re: FC3 And kppp

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in article
    <44cc8bae$0$1497$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Sandgroper wrote:

    >I have is a Dynalink SERIAL modem with a RS-232 connector that is connected
    >to /dev/ttyS0 ( comm 1 ) and it is a full hardware modem that has never
    >caused any problems in either Linux or Windows and the only init string
    >that I am using is to display the connect speed , ATW2

    Rob Clark's old web page only lists three modems with the word 'Dynalink',
    and they're from three manufacturers, using at least two different chipsets.
    You might try to find the manual for the modem, as most often the desired
    init string is AT&Fn (where n may be 0, 1, maybe 2, and rarely 3 or above).
    That sets the modem to "factory" defaults, and you would then add any
    extra commands you desire, such as 'AT&F0W2'.

    >When I use the command fuser /dev/ttyS0 it comes up with an entry of
    >"inputattach" and when I kill that process I can get access to the modem
    >and dial my ISP.

    OK - use the command 'ps afuwx' and you should be able to see what is running
    that process - obviously something under a starting script, but which one.

    >But after I disconnect the modem and re-boot the system , I keep getting the
    >same output from fuser /dev/ttyS0 of inputattach.

    As above.

    >Do you know what "inputattach" is an how to get rid of it everytime I boot
    >up ?

    No, but Pascal Hambourg seems to suggest something with a joystick.

    >There is no man entry for "inputattach" and it doesn't show up in the
    >servieces listing either only in the current active processes with either
    >using ps or system monitor.

    It should show up with the proper ps command, and if it doesn't you have
    other problems. 'ps' by itself (no options) is only going to show processes
    owned by you and using a terminal/console. You need additional options to see
    other services/applications.

    >I have tried to use minicom but I don't know how to use it.

    The man page and other documentation ('rpm -qd minicom' should identify all
    this) should help, but you've correctly identified the problem, so there
    is little need of minicom at the moment.

    >I have checked for any lock files in /var/lock/ and I can't see any files
    >relating to the modem or /dev/ttySo when I first booted up , but once I
    >have an internet connection there is a /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0 that contains
    >the pid # for /dev/ttyS0 , which I assume is the normal thing because it's
    >currently active.

    I haven't looked inside a UUCP lock file in years, hang on a mo...

    OK, that's the PID of the process that is using the modem. The 'ps afuwx'
    command should list that process. Find the application name, then run a
    'locate application' to find the binary, then run 'rpm -qlf /path/to/binary'
    to find the files associated with the package.

    >Do you have any other suggestions ?

    This smells of a GUI application on your desktop that is starting up. I have
    no auto-starts on my desktop (just 27 xterms to type in), so I can't help
    there. If you need further help, comp.os.linux.misc is probably more useful.

    >True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    NONSENSE!!! You just need a larger table. ;-)

    Old guy

  7. Re: FC3 And kppp - Found Solution

> [...]

    >>the pid # for /dev/ttyS0 , which I assume is the normal thing because
    >>it's currently active.

    > I haven't looked inside a UUCP lock file in years, hang on a mo...
    >
    > OK, that's the PID of the process that is using the modem. The 'ps afuwx'
    > command should list that process. Find the application name, then run a
    > 'locate application' to find the binary, then run 'rpm -qlf
    > /path/to/binary' to find the files associated with the package.
    >
    >>Do you have any other suggestions ?

    > This smells of a GUI application on your desktop that is starting up. I
    > have no auto-starts on my desktop (just 27 xterms to type in), so I can't
    > help there. If you need further help, comp.os.linux.misc is probably more
    > useful.
    >
    >>True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    > NONSENSE!!! You just need a larger table. ;-)

    I have found the solution to my problem , it was my new Optical Mouse !

    I did another query using the command fuser /dev/ttyS0 and it came up with
    the output of :

    usr/sbin/inputattach -ms3 /dev/ttySo --daemon

    Recently I upgraded my mouse from a standard PS/2 ball wheel mouse to a PS/2
    Optical wheel mouse and selected the mouse type of ms intellimouse and
    there was no problems until I tried to dial into my ISP.

    To fix the problem I ran kudzu again and configured the mouse to a plain
    generic PS/2 wheel mouse and everyting seems to work OK.

    I rebooted the machine to make sure and when I did a fuser /dev/ttyS0 I get
    no daemons running.

    Thanks to everybody who helped to find a solution to a problem.

    --

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

+ Reply to Thread