Almost working on Linux - PPP

This is a discussion on Almost working on Linux - PPP ; Trying to set up a ppp dialup on Zenwalk Linux (based on Slackware). Rockwell modem works okay with terminal dialup (minicom). PAP auth is working in pppd, but web pages aren't coming up. Here's verbose output: ----------------------------------------------------------- CONNECT -- got ...

  1. Almost working on Linux

    Trying to set up a ppp dialup on Zenwalk Linux (based on Slackware).
    Rockwell modem works okay with terminal dialup (minicom).
    PAP auth is working in pppd, but web pages aren't coming up.
    Here's verbose output:

    CONNECT
    -- got it

    send (\d\d\d\d)
    Serial connection established.
    using channel 2
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xc9
    ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0xc9
    ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="YAD" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x2 user="YAD" password=]
    rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x2 ""]
    PAP authentication succeeded
    sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x95 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x95 ]
    rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0xca 80 fd 01 01 00 0f 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00 15 03
    2f]
    Protocol-Reject for 'Compression Control Protocol' (0x80fd) received
    rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 ]
    local IP address 123.45.6.91
    remote IP address 123.45.6.13
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 2300)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 2300), status = 0x0

    Does anyone know what to fix or check based on this output?
    I have no idea what the protocol reject line implies.

    Thanks for any clues.

  2. Re: Almost working on Linux

    Yet Another Dan writes:
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xc9
    > ]

    Though this is legal per the standards, many peers that request an
    asyncmap of 0xa0000 are just plain broken.

    To work around this sort of problem, add "asyncmap 0xa0000" to your
    configuration.

    > Does anyone know what to fix or check based on this output?
    > I have no idea what the protocol reject line implies.

    That's normal output. It's how PPP negotiates optional features. (In
    this case, data compression.)

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: Almost working on Linux

    James Carlson wrote:
    > Yet Another Dan writes:
    >> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >> ]
    >> rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xc9
    >> ]

    > Though this is legal per the standards, many peers that request an
    > asyncmap of 0xa0000 are just plain broken.
    >
    > To work around this sort of problem, add "asyncmap 0xa0000" to your
    > configuration.

    Wow, that sounds obscure. I'll try it. What's the broken part, my old
    Rockwell ISA modem?

    >> Does anyone know what to fix or check based on this output?
    >> I have no idea what the protocol reject line implies.

    > That's normal output. It's how PPP negotiates optional features. (In
    > this case, data compression.)

    What's the best/a good newsgroup to ask about optimizing a modem on
    linux? I've read that RPI compression isn't supported.

    I'm on the web now, ppp seems to be working fine.
    I got a lot of help from a poster on linuxquestions.org, here:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=457879

    My ISP supports both terminal and ppp dialins on the same phone line.
    It looks like it goes to term mode if you hit , so for ppp, you
    just go straight to PAP authorization without logging in through the
    linux chat script.

    What documentation is currently being maintained for linux ppp? I'd
    like to provide some feedback. Other than that, I guess I'm all set.
    Thanks for responding.

  4. Re: Almost working on Linux

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:00:18 -0500, Yet Another Dan
    wrote:

    >> To work around this sort of problem, add "asyncmap 0xa0000" to your
    >> configuration.

    > Wow, that sounds obscure. I'll try it. What's the broken part, my old
    > Rockwell ISA modem?

    Possibly a problem at the other end. There are lots of crummy windoze PPP
    implementations.

    Typically, a peer will request asyncmap 0xa0000, but pppd can talk him out
    of it. In this case, you ask for asyncmap 0x0, the peer asks for 0xa0000,
    you say heck no, and the peer comes back and says that's fine.

    0xa0000 escapes XON and XOFF. This is unnecessary if both sides are using
    hardware flow control (and kind of a nonissue for trunk-connected digital
    modems). Either the peer is lying to you (using asyncmap 0xa0000 even
    though it said it wouldn't), the peer actually uses software flow control
    for some bizarre reason and has a misconfigured PPP daemon (a peer shouldn't
    acknowledge an asyncmap it can't handle), or you're set up for software flow
    control at your end (in which case you should probably tell the modem to use
    hardware flow control instead).

    > What documentation is currently being maintained for linux ppp?

    Apart from what's included with the source, you might check out what's
    available at the LDP site (http://www.tldp.org/). The ppp HOWTO isn't too
    fresh, unfortunately, as there's just not much interest in dialup PPP
    anymore.

  5. Re: Almost working on Linux

    Yet Another Dan writes:
    > > To work around this sort of problem, add "asyncmap 0xa0000" to your
    > > configuration.

    > Wow, that sounds obscure. I'll try it. What's the broken part, my old
    > Rockwell ISA modem?

    No. Some peers that do this seem to have gotten the transmit and
    receive directions confused, and end up failing to escape things
    properly after having negotiated for it.

    > > That's normal output. It's how PPP negotiates optional features.
    > > (In
    > > this case, data compression.)

    > What's the best/a good newsgroup to ask about optimizing a modem on
    > linux? I've read that RPI compression isn't supported.

    I don't really know what you mean by "optimizing."

    In general, the best configuration is none at all: the defaults for
    just about everything are set to sane values that shouldn't be tweaked
    unless you know what you're doing and you're solving a particular
    problem that can't be solved any other way.

    Pretty much the only thing you can do here is hurt yourself, not make
    it somehow "go faster." The most common problem I see is errant (and
    spurious) configuration attempts that lead to bizarre failure modes.

    > My ISP supports both terminal and ppp dialins on the same phone
    > line. It looks like it goes to term mode if you hit , so for
    > ppp, you just go straight to PAP authorization without logging in
    > through the linux chat script.

    It sounds like you're done.

    > What documentation is currently being maintained for linux ppp? I'd
    > like to provide some feedback. Other than that, I guess I'm all
    > set. Thanks for responding.

    You can reach the folks who maintain ppp-2.4 (which actually
    originated well before Linux and supports many other systems besides
    that one) at ppp-bugs@dp.samba.org. The main documentation is the man
    page that comes with the software.

    Various distributions of that software (including Linux distributions)
    may come with their own documentation, but that's not being maintained
    as part of the ppp-2.4 work. If you have problems with other
    documentation, you'll probably want to contact the author or
    maintainer of that. (Most documents at least list some sort of
    support contact.)

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  6. Re: Almost working on Linux

    Yet Another Dan writes:

    >James Carlson wrote:
    >> Yet Another Dan writes:
    >>> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    >>> ]
    >>> rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0xc9
    >>> ]

    >> Though this is legal per the standards, many peers that request an
    >> asyncmap of 0xa0000 are just plain broken.
    >>
    >> To work around this sort of problem, add "asyncmap 0xa0000" to your
    >> configuration.

    >Wow, that sounds obscure. I'll try it. What's the broken part, my old
    >Rockwell ISA modem?

    Nope, your ISP at the other end of the connection. Many windows ISP are
    broken in this way. Microsoft's understanding of ppp protocol left
    something to be desired at times.

    >>> Does anyone know what to fix or check based on this output?
    >>> I have no idea what the protocol reject line implies.

    >> That's normal output. It's how PPP negotiates optional features. (In
    >> this case, data compression.)

    >What's the best/a good newsgroup to ask about optimizing a modem on
    >linux? I've read that RPI compression isn't supported.

    >I'm on the web now, ppp seems to be working fine.
    >I got a lot of help from a poster on linuxquestions.org, here:
    >http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=457879

    >My ISP supports both terminal and ppp dialins on the same phone line.
    >It looks like it goes to term mode if you hit , so for ppp, you
    >just go straight to PAP authorization without logging in through the
    >linux chat script.

    Yup. Standard, ancient behaviour. Most now disallow terminal logon.

    >What documentation is currently being maintained for linux ppp? I'd
    >like to provide some feedback. Other than that, I guess I'm all set.
    >Thanks for responding.

    The man page.

    You could also look at
    www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
    for help in getting connected
    and for ppp details there is abook writen by Carlson that is the standard.

  7. Re: Almost working on Linux

    Unruh wrote:
    > Yet Another Dan writes:
    >> My ISP supports both terminal and ppp dialins on the same phone line.
    >> It looks like it goes to term mode if you hit , so for ppp, you
    >> just go straight to PAP authorization without logging in through the
    >> linux chat script.

    > Yup. Standard, ancient behaviour. Most now disallow terminal logon.

    That term login was a lifesaver after I overwrote Win98 with the new
    Linux install. Before learning to use Lynx and Tin, I had to go to the
    public library for a max allowed time of one hour per day to access the
    web.

    >> What documentation is currently being maintained for linux ppp? I'd
    >> like to provide some feedback. Other than that, I guess I'm all set.
    >> Thanks for responding.

    > The man page.

    I found the ppp and related man pages woefully incomplete. And Zenwalk
    for reasons they still haven't explained to me includes .info files but
    not the TeXInfo package in their distro.

    > You could also look at
    > www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    Speaking of which, this is one of the docs I used and wanted to comment
    on. In the section "Which Authentication Scheme?", I didn't see the
    messages until after I was already trying PAP. I had to
    delete the login lines from the chat script and hand over control back
    to pppd without any output from the ISP's server to provide clues. A
    poster named blackhole54 at linuxquestions.org provided that and lots of
    other ideas here:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=457879

    Thanks for having that doc though. That, the ppp howto, and one or two
    other docs were my main sources of info, along with the LQ forum.

    More generally, none of the ppp docs I read, including the howto and the
    faq, said anything about exiting chat without logging in. I guess they
    did say check with the ISP about PAP, but there was also at least one
    doc that said if you get a login, the ISP isn't using PAP. At least
    that was the impression I got. That was true for term mode but not ppp
    mode. On my ISP, you get to term mode by hitting , ppp mode by
    exiting chat with no action at all once you're connected. Since my
    ISP's server is so slow, this is the last line of my ppp chat script:

    CONNECT "\d\d\d\d\c"

    I'm not sure whether the delay is necessary for pppd/pap. I just added
    the \c to the \d's that were already there for term login.

    Thanks for the help.

  8. Re: Almost working on Linux

    Yet Another Dan writes:

    >Speaking of which, this is one of the docs I used and wanted to comment
    >on. In the section "Which Authentication Scheme?", I didn't see the
    > messages until after I was already trying PAP. I had to
    >delete the login lines from the chat script and hand over control back
    >to pppd without any output from the ISP's server to provide clues. A
    >poster named blackhole54 at linuxquestions.org provided that and lots of
    >other ideas here:
    >http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=457879

    ?? a) The doc constantly says to use '\d\c' at the end of the chat script
    immediately after the CONNECT.
    This is there for a reason. It was not that I simply wanted to type some
    extra weird letters.

    Then there is a whole section of Login Authorization.

    One of the things I do say in the doc is that you should go through it
    exactly and not try to skip around. That is for a reason. The way I go is
    what I have found to be the most efficient way of discovering what your ISP
    wants.

    b) There is a whole section labeled Which Authentication and later "PAP/CHAP"

    >Thanks for having that doc though. That, the ppp howto, and one or two
    >other docs were my main sources of info, along with the LQ forum.

    >More generally, none of the ppp docs I read, including the howto and the
    >faq, said anything about exiting chat without logging in. I guess they

    ppp-linux.html certainly does.

    >did say check with the ISP about PAP, but there was also at least one
    >doc that said if you get a login, the ISP isn't using PAP. At least

    Maybe. There are lots of bad docs out there.

    >that was the impression I got. That was true for term mode but not ppp
    >mode. On my ISP, you get to term mode by hitting , ppp mode by
    >exiting chat with no action at all once you're connected. Since my
    >ISP's server is so slow, this is the last line of my ppp chat script:

    >CONNECT "\d\d\d\d\c"

    >I'm not sure whether the delay is necessary for pppd/pap. I just added
    >the \c to the \d's that were already there for term login.

    >Thanks for the help.

  9. Re: Almost working on Linux

    Unruh wrote:

    > Yet Another Dan writes:
    >> Speaking of which, this is one of the docs I used and wanted to comment
    >> on. In the section "Which Authentication Scheme?", I didn't see the
    >> messages until after I was already trying PAP.

    > ?? a) The doc constantly says to use '\d\c' at the end of the chat script
    > immediately after the CONNECT.
    > This is there for a reason. It was not that I simply wanted to type some
    > extra weird letters.

    > One of the things I do say in the doc is that you should go through it
    > exactly and not try to skip around.

    I didn't skip around. I also don't have a /var/log/ppp.

    Here's the tail of /var/log/messages with

    /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ''
    AT OK ATD******* CONNECT '\d\c'"

    and without /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

    Jul 7 19:50:05 zenwalk chat[2742]: ATD*******^M^M
    Jul 7 19:50:05 zenwalk chat[2742]: CONNECT
    Jul 7 19:50:05 zenwalk chat[2742]: -- got it
    Jul 7 19:50:05 zenwalk chat[2742]: send (\d)
    Jul 7 19:50:06 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Serial connection established.
    Jul 7 19:50:06 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Using interface ppp0
    Jul 7 19:50:06 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
    Jul 7 19:50:11 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Serial line is looped back.
    Jul 7 19:50:11 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Connection terminated.
    Jul 7 19:50:13 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Exit.

  10. Re: Almost working on Linux

    Yet Another Dan writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> Yet Another Dan writes:
    >>> Speaking of which, this is one of the docs I used and wanted to comment
    >>> on. In the section "Which Authentication Scheme?", I didn't see the
    >>> messages until after I was already trying PAP.

    >> ?? a) The doc constantly says to use '\d\c' at the end of the chat script
    >> immediately after the CONNECT.
    >> This is there for a reason. It was not that I simply wanted to type some
    >> extra weird letters.

    >> One of the things I do say in the doc is that you should go through it
    >> exactly and not try to skip around.

    >I didn't skip around. I also don't have a /var/log/ppp.

    syslog creates it.

    Make sure you have
    debug
    in /etc/ppp/options.
    Put the line
    daemon.*;local2.* /var/log/ppp
    into /etc/syslog.conf
    and then do
    killall -1 syslogd

    Now you will have /var/log/ppp and you will have much more detailed error
    reporting.

    >Here's the tail of /var/log/messages with

    >/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ''
    >AT OK ATD******* CONNECT '\d\c'"

    >and without /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

    >Jul 7 19:50:05 zenwalk chat[2742]: ATD*******^M^M
    >Jul 7 19:50:05 zenwalk chat[2742]: CONNECT
    >Jul 7 19:50:05 zenwalk chat[2742]: -- got it
    >Jul 7 19:50:05 zenwalk chat[2742]: send (\d)
    >Jul 7 19:50:06 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Serial connection established.
    >Jul 7 19:50:06 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Using interface ppp0
    >Jul 7 19:50:06 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
    >Jul 7 19:50:11 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Serial line is looped back.
    >Jul 7 19:50:11 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Connection terminated.
    >Jul 7 19:50:13 zenwalk pppd[2741]: Exit.

+ Reply to Thread