Long delay on PPP for win nt - PPP

This is a discussion on Long delay on PPP for win nt - PPP ; Hello Newsgroup, I have run into great trouble with Windows NT and PPP. My setup is like this: A Win NT client dials into a Win NT server through a satellite link, I control both ends. From the PPP.log both ...

  1. Long delay on PPP for win nt

    Hello Newsgroup,

    I have run into great trouble with Windows NT and PPP. My setup is like
    this:

    A Win NT client dials into a Win NT server through a satellite link, I
    control both ends. From the PPP.log both on the server and the client, I can
    see that the call is answered, (The client says verifying username and
    password) and LCP negotiations seem to be successful: (ppp.log from the
    server side)

    "

    LCP Local Options-------------
    MRU=1500,ACCM=0,Auth=0,MagicNumber=32613,PFC=ON,AC FC=ON
    Recv Framing = PPP,SSHF=OFF,MRRU=1500
    LCP Remote Options-------------
    MRU=1500,ACCM=0,Auth=c223,MagicNumber=4392,PFC=ON, ACFC=ON
    Send Framing = PPP,SSHF=OFF,MRRU=1500
    LCP Configured successfully
    Authenticating phase started

    "

    However, the chap negotiation that follows never succeeds. It looks to me as
    if the chap protocol fails due to a timeout, because of the satellite delay
    of approx. 2 secs.

    How can I make this work? I cannot change to a different OS, and of course I
    cannot change the delay on the link. Is there anyway I can tweak the timeout
    in winnt/chap? Or can anyone see something that I have missed from the log
    files? I will be grateful for any comment, hint or advice

    Best regards Dave

    See the complete logs:

    http://cxp.dk/ppp/client_ppp.log

    http://cxp.dk/ppp/server_ppp.log

  2. Re: Long delay on PPP for win nt

    In article <44993725$0$155$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>,
    DC wrote:
    >Hello Newsgroup,
    >
    >I have run into great trouble with Windows NT and PPP. My setup is like
    >this:
    >
    >A Win NT client dials into a Win NT server through a satellite link, I
    >control both ends.

    Does the satellite link look like a regular serial (COM) port or modem to
    Windows? How is the link set up? Can it pass pure binary without trouble?

    >From the PPP.log both on the server and the client, I can
    >see that the call is answered, (The client says verifying username and
    >password) and LCP negotiations seem to be successful: (ppp.log from the
    >server side)
    >
    >LCP Local Options-------------
    >MRU=1500,ACCM=0,Auth=0,MagicNumber=32613,PFC=ON,AC FC=ON
    >Recv Framing = PPP,SSHF=OFF,MRRU=1500
    >LCP Remote Options-------------
    >MRU=1500,ACCM=0,Auth=c223,MagicNumber=4392,PFC=ON, ACFC=ON
    >Send Framing = PPP,SSHF=OFF,MRRU=1500
    >LCP Configured successfully
    >Authenticating phase started
    >
    >However, the chap negotiation that follows never succeeds. It looks to me as
    >if the chap protocol fails due to a timeout, because of the satellite delay
    >of approx. 2 secs.

    Actually, it looks like you lost the first 7 CHAP Responses going from the
    client to the server (and subsequent responses were severly delayed). Maybe
    the satellite link doesn't deal well with control characters? I don't know.

    Unfortunately, I can't find a place that would allow you to override the
    defaults - if I could, I'd suggest you set the ACCM to 0xffffffff. If you
    can find that, try it.

    Good luck!

    Patrick Klos
    ============= For PPP Protocol Analysis, check out SerialView! =============