Is pppd 2.4.4 stable? Is there something after v2.4.3? - PPP

This is a discussion on Is pppd 2.4.4 stable? Is there something after v2.4.3? - PPP ; I tried using pppd 2.4.3 a while ago and ran into problems. (I don't remember the exact issue but it had to do with reconfiguring the device before retrying a connection.) I ended up using 2.4.2 but l want to ...

  1. Is pppd 2.4.4 stable? Is there something after v2.4.3?

    I tried using pppd 2.4.3 a while ago and ran into problems. (I don't
    remember the exact issue but it had to do with reconfiguring the device
    before retrying a connection.) I ended up using 2.4.2 but l want to
    get CBCP working. In the 2.4.3 README, I note:

    What's new in ppp-2.4.3.
    ************************
    * Various bugs have been fixed, including some CBCP packet parsing
    bugs that could lead to the peer being able to crash pppd if CBCP
    support is enabled.

    So I want to get a pppd which doesn't freak out reconfiguring the
    device but which does include the CBCP improvement. Is that v2.4.4?
    Or is there someway that I can find the CBCP changes between 2.4.2 and
    2.4.3 and patch them into 2.4.2?

  2. Re: Is pppd 2.4.4 stable? Is there something after v2.4.3?

    "Chris Nelson" writes:
    > I tried using pppd 2.4.3 a while ago and ran into problems. (I don't
    > remember the exact issue but it had to do with reconfiguring the device
    > before retrying a connection.) I ended up using 2.4.2 but l want to
    > get CBCP working. In the 2.4.3 README, I note:

    2.4.4 is still in beta. It's close to release.

    > What's new in ppp-2.4.3.

    [...]
    > So I want to get a pppd which doesn't freak out reconfiguring the
    > device but which does include the CBCP improvement. Is that v2.4.4?

    No, from the log entry above, it's 2.4.3, which is the latest stable
    release.

    > Or is there someway that I can find the CBCP changes between 2.4.2 and
    > 2.4.3 and patch them into 2.4.2?

    That might be possible. Just download the tarballs and hack away.
    (Why you wouldn't just want to upgrade from 2.4.2 to 2.4.3 is a bit of
    a mystery, though. Attempting to "patch" 2.4.2 instead of just
    upgrading seems like a mistake.)

    I don't know of any recent significant changes to CBCP -- since
    2.4.3. There was a change last month to fix a RADIUS problem, but the
    last change before that was about 1.5 years ago.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: Is pppd 2.4.4 stable? Is there something after v2.4.3?

    James Carlson wrote:
    > "Chris Nelson" writes:
    > > I tried using pppd 2.4.3 a while ago and ran into problems. (I don't
    > > remember the exact issue but it had to do with reconfiguring the device
    > > before retrying a connection.) I ended up using 2.4.2 but l want to
    > > get CBCP working. In the 2.4.3 README, I note:

    > 2.4.4 is still in beta. It's close to release.

    OK.

    > > What's new in ppp-2.4.3.

    > [...]
    > > So I want to get a pppd which doesn't freak out reconfiguring the
    > > device but which does include the CBCP improvement. Is that v2.4.4?

    > No, from the log entry above, it's 2.4.3, which is the latest stable
    > release.

    Except it doesn't work (at least for me). A month or so ago, I was
    trying to use 2.4.3 and it freaked out when run persistent (I think, it
    has been a month). A tcsetaddr() call at 962 of sys-linux.c fails.
    I'm sorry I don't remember the details. I discussed it with a coworker
    who did a little research and gave me the idea that it was a known bug.

    > > Or is there someway that I can find the CBCP changes between 2.4.2 and
    > > 2.4.3 and patch them into 2.4.2?

    > That might be possible. Just download the tarballs and hack away.
    > (Why you wouldn't just want to upgrade from 2.4.2 to 2.4.3 is a bit of
    > a mystery, though. Attempting to "patch" 2.4.2 instead of just
    > upgrading seems like a mistake.)

    I want the v2.4.3 CBCP improvements but can't use 2.4.3 because of the
    tcsetattr() problem noted above so it seems I have to move _past_ 2.4.3
    to something that has the tcsetattr() problem fixed or merge the v2.4.3
    CBCP fixes back to 2.4.2 (which otherwise works for me).

    > I don't know of any recent significant changes to CBCP -- since
    > 2.4.3. There was a change last month to fix a RADIUS problem, but the
    > last change before that was about 1.5 years ago.

    Sorry. I looked at the v2.4.4 changes, saw

    * Lots of bugs fixed, particularly in the area of demand-dialled and
    persistent connections.

    and somehow misread that to relate to dialback. Still, I have
    persistent connection and do demand dialing so it seems I should have
    v2.4.4.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread