pppd, chat's HANGUP command, and callback - PPP

This is a discussion on pppd, chat's HANGUP command, and callback - PPP ; The chat man page gives an example of how to use HANGUP in a callback environment: ABORT `BUSY' OK\r\n ATD1234567 \r\n \c CONNECT \c `Callback login:' call_back_ID HANGUP OFF ABORT "Bad Login" `Callback Password:' Call_back_password TIMEOUT 120 CONNECT \c HANGUP ...

  1. pppd, chat's HANGUP command, and callback

    The chat man page gives an example of how to use HANGUP in a callback
    environment:

    ABORT `BUSY'
    OK\r\n ATD1234567
    \r\n \c
    CONNECT \c
    `Callback login:' call_back_ID
    HANGUP OFF
    ABORT "Bad Login"
    `Callback Password:' Call_back_password
    TIMEOUT 120
    CONNECT \c
    HANGUP ON
    ABORT "NO CARRIER"
    ogin:--BREAK--ogin: real_account
    etc ...

    but this seems to be for basic serial communication, not PPP. It seems
    to me that if I use a chat script for pppd's connect option, pppd is
    going to wait for that script to exit before doing any LCP, etc. so
    this script/technique can't be used for callback with pppd. Am I right?

  2. Re: pppd, chat's HANGUP command, and callback

    "Chris Nelson" writes:
    > but this seems to be for basic serial communication, not PPP.

    I'm not sure what you mean by that, but the assumption made for that
    example is that the initial dial that triggers the callback does not
    need to negotiate PPP. You just call, chat some text, hang up, and
    the peer calls you back. Some callback systems are configured to work
    that way. Others are not.

    Whether it works for you depends on exactly what sort of remote system
    you're calling, and what it expects you to do.

    > It seems
    > to me that if I use a chat script for pppd's connect option, pppd is
    > going to wait for that script to exit before doing any LCP, etc.

    That's correct.

    > so
    > this script/technique can't be used for callback with pppd. Am I right?

    No. It depends on _how_ the peer does callback. There are many
    different flavors and styles of callback. The name "callback" doesn't
    identify any one standard or style of operation.

    To make it work for you, you need to figure out what sort of callback
    the peer expects to be doing.

    (For what it's worth, that example is for the case where the peer
    calls _you_ back. If you're trying to implement a system that calls
    _others_ back, which is what I thought you were doing, then it's not
    what you want.)

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network