Migrating from wvdial to ppp - PPP

This is a discussion on Migrating from wvdial to ppp - PPP ; Hi, all. I can connect to internet with my 56K modem using wvdial, but would like to use ppp instead: can anybody provide a help? To make wvdial properly work, I simply edited two files: `/etc/wvdial.conf' and `/etc/resolv.conf': here's `/etc/wvdial.conf': ...

  1. Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Hi, all.

    I can connect to internet with my 56K modem using wvdial,
    but would like to use ppp instead: can anybody provide a help?

    To make wvdial properly work, I simply edited two files:
    `/etc/wvdial.conf' and `/etc/resolv.conf':
    here's `/etc/wvdial.conf':

    [Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/ttySL0
    Baud = 460800
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 X3 +MS=34
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    Phone = 10550813521010
    Username = romeomedina@libero.it
    Password = MyPassWord
    Carrier Check = no

    , and here's `/etc/resolv.conf':

    nameserver 193.70.192.25
    nameserver 193.70.152.25
    domain libero.it

    .. I don't know how to fill the files `/etc/chatscripts/modem',
    `/etc/ppp/resolv/modem' and `/etc/ppp/peers/modem', and
    in case other files.
    I tried running pppconfig, but I'm asked questions I can't answer.

    Any help highly appreciated.
    I have Debian Sarge GNU/Linux.
    Thanks,
    Rodolfo

  2. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Hi, all.

    >I can connect to internet with my 56K modem using wvdial,
    >but would like to use ppp instead: can anybody provide a help?

    wvdial uses pppd. It is simply a helper script.

    >To make wvdial properly work, I simply edited two files:
    >`/etc/wvdial.conf' and `/etc/resolv.conf':
    >here's `/etc/wvdial.conf':

    >[Dialer Defaults]
    >Modem = /dev/ttySL0

    Is this a winmodem?

    >Baud = 460800

    Weird baud rate.
    For most modems you want the max possible baud rate 115200 for example.

    >Init1 = ATZ

    Horrible init string. AT&F or AT&F1 are far better. This string puts the
    modem into some unknown state determined by some prior rougue program that
    saved the state of the modem.

    >Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 X3 +MS=34
    >ISDN = 0
    >Modem Type = Analog Modem
    >Phone = 10550813521010
    >Username = romeomedina@libero.it
    >Password = MyPassWord

    ??? Why in the world are these here?

    >Carrier Check = no

    >, and here's `/etc/resolv.conf':

    >nameserver 193.70.192.25
    >nameserver 193.70.152.25
    >domain libero.it

    >. I don't know how to fill the files `/etc/chatscripts/modem',
    >`/etc/ppp/resolv/modem' and `/etc/ppp/peers/modem', and

    No need for any of these.

    for detailed discussion, see www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    >in case other files.
    >I tried running pppconfig, but I'm asked questions I can't answer.

    >Any help highly appreciated.
    >I have Debian Sarge GNU/Linux.
    >Thanks,
    >Rodolfo

  3. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Unruh writes:

    > wvdial uses pppd. It is simply a helper script.

    Yes, I know.

    Rodolfo:

    >>To make wvdial properly work, I simply edited two files:
    >>`/etc/wvdial.conf' and `/etc/resolv.conf':
    >>here's `/etc/wvdial.conf':

    >>[Dialer Defaults]
    >>Modem = /dev/ttySL0

    Unruh:

    > Is this a winmodem?

    Yes, it is. I managed to set it up with Jacques Goldberg and Marvin Stodolsky's
    great help: see report at the end of this page:

    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

    Rodolfo:

    >>Baud = 460800

    Unruh:

    > Weird baud rate.
    > For most modems you want the max possible baud rate 115200 for example.

    Rodolfo:

    >>Init1 = ATZ

    Unruh:

    > Horrible init string. AT&F or AT&F1 are far better. This string puts the
    > modem into some unknown state determined by some prior rougue program that
    > saved the state of the modem.

    Rodolfo:

    >>Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 X3 +MS=34
    >>ISDN = 0
    >>Modem Type = Analog Modem
    >>Phone = 10550813521010
    >>Username = romeomedina@libero.it
    >>Password = MyPassWord

    Unruh:

    > ??? Why in the world are these here?

    But the connection works fine, I've been using it for
    almost 2 years now.

    Unruh:

    > for detailed discussion, see www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    Thanks, I read your document carefully and tried as you suggest:

    /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttySL0 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '' ser: romeomedina@libero.it assword: MyPassWord"

    , but the output is always the same:

    Jun 4 22:28:11 localhost pppd[2155]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
    Jun 4 22:28:11 localhost pppd[2155]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
    Jun 4 22:28:11 localhost pppd[2155]: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)

    .. Grateful of any other help.
    Rodolfo

  4. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Unruh writes:

    > Is this a winmodem?

    Yes, it is. I managed to set it up with Jacques Goldberg and Marvin
    Stodolsky's great help: see

    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/arch.../msg02751.html

    Unruh:

    > for detailed discussion, see www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    It seems that I managed to get connected, Unruh's document
    was helpful. I'm reporting what I did, I don't know if
    it's the best, probably not, but it seems to work.
    Suggestions welcome in order to improve the setup.
    Thanks indeed, cheers,
    Rodolfo

    Operating system: Debian Sarge GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4

    I did:

    # cp /etc/ppp/options /etc/ppp/options-original

    , then emptied the file /etc/ppp/options and filled it with:

    asyncmap 0
    auth
    crtscts
    lock
    hide-password
    modem
    proxyarp
    lcp-echo-interval 30
    lcp-echo-failure 4
    noipx
    defaultroute
    noauth

    .. Then:

    # cp /etc/ppp/pap-secrets /etc/ppp/pap-secrets-original

    , and added the line

    romeomedina\@libero\.it *

    (with my actual password in place of )
    at the end of /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.
    I got connected with:

    # /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttySL0 57600 debug user romeomedina@libero.it connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '\d\c'"

    , and stopped connection with: `# killall pppd'.

    To automate the connection, I created the file `/etc/ppp/peers/modem'
    and filled it with:

    hide-password
    noauth
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/modem"
    debug
    -crtscts
    /dev/ttySL0
    57600
    defaultroute
    noipdefault
    user "romeomedina@libero.it"
    remotename modem
    ipparam phone
    usepeerdns
    nodetach

    , and the file `/etc/chatscripts/modem', filled with one line:

    '' AT OK ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '\d\c'

    .. Then I did:

    # adduser rodolfo dip

    , and then I could start connection with: `$ pon modem',
    and close connection with: `C-c'.

  5. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:
    > # cp /etc/ppp/options /etc/ppp/options-original
    >
    > , then emptied the file /etc/ppp/options and filled it with:
    >
    > asyncmap 0

    Remove that; it's the default.

    > auth

    Remove that as well -- it should be specified only on systems that are
    intended to operate as dial-in servers for PPP.

    > hide-password

    That's the default; remove.

    > proxyarp

    That's almost certainly ineffectual. Don't specify it unless you know
    that the remote IP address will be in the same subnet as some local
    Ethernet on your system. (This option is typically used on dial-in
    servers. If you're not setting up a dial-in server for other people
    to call you, then you don't need it.)

    > noipx

    That's the default.

    > noauth

    You probably don't want that in the /etc/ppp/options file; it's more
    appropriate in the /etc/ppp/peers/ file.

    > # /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttySL0 57600 debug user romeomedina@libero.it connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '\d\c'"

    As Bill said, "AT" isn't a good way to initialize the modem.

    But, then, as you're using a Winmodem, all bets are off. There may be
    no good way to initialize it.

    > To automate the connection, I created the file `/etc/ppp/peers/modem'
    > and filled it with:
    >
    > hide-password

    That's the default.

    > debug

    That's typically specified on the command line (often with
    "updetach"). You probably should not include it here.

    > -crtscts

    Why are you disabling flow control? That's likely to lead to trouble.

    In general, the best pppd configuration is one that specifies the
    _fewest_ options, and where each option is intentionally included for
    a specific reason. The worst configurations (the ones that tend to
    fail often and run into upgrade problems) are those that try to
    specify everything.

    Aim for the former instead of the latter. If you don't know what an
    option does, or if the option specified is already the default, then
    remove it.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  6. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >>>I can connect to internet with my 56K modem using wvdial,
    >>>but would like to use ppp instead: can anybody provide a help?

    >Unruh writes:

    >> wvdial uses pppd. It is simply a helper script.

    >Yes, I know.

    >Rodolfo:

    >>>To make wvdial properly work, I simply edited two files:
    >>>`/etc/wvdial.conf' and `/etc/resolv.conf':
    >>>here's `/etc/wvdial.conf':

    >>>[Dialer Defaults]
    >>>Modem = /dev/ttySL0

    >Unruh:

    >> Is this a winmodem?

    >Yes, it is. I managed to set it up with Jacques Goldberg and Marvin Stodolsky's
    >great help: see report at the end of this page:

    >http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

    >Rodolfo:

    >>>Baud = 460800

    >Unruh:

    >> Weird baud rate.
    >> For most modems you want the max possible baud rate 115200 for example.

    >Rodolfo:

    >>>Init1 = ATZ

    >Unruh:

    >> Horrible init string. AT&F or AT&F1 are far better. This string puts the
    >> modem into some unknown state determined by some prior rougue program that
    >> saved the state of the modem.

    >Rodolfo:

    >>>Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 X3 +MS=34
    >>>ISDN = 0
    >>>Modem Type = Analog Modem
    >>>Phone = 10550813521010
    >>>Username = romeomedina@libero.it
    >>>Password = MyPassWord

    >Unruh:

    >> ??? Why in the world are these here?

    >But the connection works fine, I've been using it for
    >almost 2 years now.

    >Unruh:

    >> for detailed discussion, see www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    >Thanks, I read your document carefully and tried as you suggest:

    >/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttySL0 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '' ser: romeomedina@libero.it assword: MyPassWord"

    Weird. there is almost no isp that still uses logins. (almost?) all have
    converted to pap/chap authentication.
    Have you tried without this
    Ie, end with
    CONNECT '\d\c'

    >, but the output is always the same:

    >Jun 4 22:28:11 localhost pppd[2155]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself

    Somewhere you have an option for pppd like
    auth
    or
    require-chap
    or something. Remove them.

    >Jun 4 22:28:11 localhost pppd[2155]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
    >Jun 4 22:28:11 localhost pppd[2155]: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)

    >. Grateful of any other help.

    post your /etc/ppp/options file

    >Rodolfo

  7. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >>>I can connect to internet with my 56K modem using wvdial,
    >>>but would like to use ppp instead: can anybody provide a help?

    >Unruh writes:

    >> Is this a winmodem?

    >Yes, it is. I managed to set it up with Jacques Goldberg and Marvin
    >Stodolsky's great help: see

    >http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/arch.../msg02751.html

    >Unruh:

    >> for detailed discussion, see www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    >It seems that I managed to get connected, Unruh's document
    >was helpful. I'm reporting what I did, I don't know if
    >it's the best, probably not, but it seems to work.
    >Suggestions welcome in order to improve the setup.
    >Thanks indeed, cheers,
    >Rodolfo

    >Operating system: Debian Sarge GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4

    >I did:

    ># cp /etc/ppp/options /etc/ppp/options-original

    >, then emptied the file /etc/ppp/options and filled it with:

    >asyncmap 0
    >auth

    Why are you demanding that the far side authenticate itself to you?
    (Almost?) no isp will do so. Remove this option.

    >crtscts
    >lock
    >hide-password
    >modem
    >proxyarp
    >lcp-echo-interval 30
    >lcp-echo-failure 4
    >noipx
    >defaultroute
    >noauth

    And now you cancel the previous auth? Remove both the auth and noauth
    lines.

    >. Then:

    ># cp /etc/ppp/pap-secrets /etc/ppp/pap-secrets-original

    >, and added the line

    >romeomedina\@libero\.it *

    >(with my actual password in place of )
    >at the end of /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.
    >I got connected with:

    ># /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttySL0 57600 debug user romeomedina@libero.it connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '\d\c'"

    Yup. Should work.

    >, and stopped connection with: `# killall pppd'.

    >To automate the connection, I created the file `/etc/ppp/peers/modem'
    >and filled it with:

    >hide-password
    >noauth
    >connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/modem"
    >debug
    >-crtscts
    >/dev/ttySL0
    >57600
    >defaultroute
    >noipdefault
    >user "romeomedina@libero.it"
    >remotename modem
    >ipparam phone
    >usepeerdns
    >nodetach

    >, and the file `/etc/chatscripts/modem', filled with one line:

    >'' AT OK ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '\d\c'

    >. Then I did:

    > # adduser rodolfo dip

    >, and then I could start connection with: `$ pon modem',
    >and close connection with: `C-c'.

    Well, that is possible. I would say killall pppd is cleaner and does not
    take up a whole terminal window while pppd is running.

  8. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >>It seems that I managed to get connected, Unruh's document
    >>was helpful. I'm reporting what I did, I don't know if
    >>it's the best, probably not, but it seems to work.
    >>Suggestions welcome in order to improve the setup.

    It seems that I spoke too soon.
    The connection is sometimes successful, sometimes not:

    NO DIALTONE

    .. I tried to follow Unruh's and James Carlson's suggestions.
    Now here's my /etc/ppp/options:

    crtscts
    lock
    modem
    lcp-echo-interval 30
    lcp-echo-failure 4
    defaultroute

    , here's my /etc/ppp/peers/modem:

    noauth
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/modem"
    debug
    crtscts
    /dev/ttySL0
    57600
    defaultroute
    noipdefault
    user "romeomedina@libero.it"
    remotename modem
    usepeerdns
    nodetach

    and here's my /etc/chatscripts/modem:

    '' ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '\d\c'

    .. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks indeed, cheers,
    Rodolfo

  9. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >>>It seems that I managed to get connected, Unruh's document
    >>>was helpful. I'm reporting what I did, I don't know if
    >>>it's the best, probably not, but it seems to work.
    >>>Suggestions welcome in order to improve the setup.

    >It seems that I spoke too soon.
    >The connection is sometimes successful, sometimes not:

    > NO DIALTONE

    No dialtone has nothing to do with ppp or chat. It is a problem with your
    phone or with your modem. Nothing I or Carlson can say can help you with
    that problem. Your winmodem may be acting up, or your phone system may be
    acting up. I would suspect the former, in which case get a real modem.

    >. I tried to follow Unruh's and James Carlson's suggestions.
    >Now here's my /etc/ppp/options:

    >crtscts
    >lock
    >modem
    >lcp-echo-interval 30
    >lcp-echo-failure 4
    >defaultroute

    >, here's my /etc/ppp/peers/modem:

    >noauth
    >connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/modem"
    >debug
    >crtscts
    >/dev/ttySL0
    >57600
    >defaultroute
    >noipdefault
    >user "romeomedina@libero.it"
    >remotename modem

    Unneeded, but not a problem

    >usepeerdns
    >nodetach

    Why nodetach?

    >and here's my /etc/chatscripts/modem:

    >'' ATD10550813521010 CONNECT '\d\c'

    >. Any other suggestions?

    I made them above. There is nothing in your setup which could cause a
    problem, and if your phoneline does not work, nothing can be done about it
    in ppp or chat.

    >Thanks indeed, cheers,
    >Rodolfo

  10. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Unruh writes:

    > No dialtone has nothing to do with ppp or chat. It is a problem with your
    > phone or with your modem.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > There is nothing in your setup which could cause a
    > problem, and if your phoneline does not work, nothing can be done about it
    > in ppp or chat.

    The connection is perfect (never fails) when I use wvdial,
    so it can't be a problem with my phone or with my modem:
    the only problem must be an incorrect ppp configuration.

    I might go on using wvdial without so many problems,
    but I like direct use of ppp best and wish to learn how to use
    definitely and only it, that's why I applied to the present newsgroup.

    Regards,
    Rodolfo

  11. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >>>The connection is sometimes successful, sometimes not:

    >>> NO DIALTONE

    >Unruh writes:

    >> No dialtone has nothing to do with ppp or chat. It is a problem with your
    >> phone or with your modem.
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> There is nothing in your setup which could cause a
    >> problem, and if your phoneline does not work, nothing can be done about it
    >> in ppp or chat.

    >The connection is perfect (never fails) when I use wvdial,
    >so it can't be a problem with my phone or with my modem:
    >the only problem must be an incorrect ppp configuration.

    NO. NO DIALTONE means that the phone line is inoperative. It is a message
    from the modem, not from pppd, not from chat.
    Now, you could stick in a command
    '' ATH OK--+++\\d\\dATH--OK
    at the begin of the chat script just to make sure that the modem is hung up from the last call.

    (this sends ATH or hangup to the modem and waits for an OK. If not, it
    tries to send three + and then two second waits, and then sends ATH again
    and waits for an OK).

    >I might go on using wvdial without so many problems,
    >but I like direct use of ppp best and wish to learn how to use
    >definitely and only it, that's why I applied to the present newsgroup.

    Sure, and you can. But do not look in the wrong places to fix problems.

  12. `+MS=34' option? (was: Migrating from wvdial to ppp)

    Rodolfo Medina wrote:

    > It seems that I spoke too soon.
    > The connection is sometimes successful, sometimes not:
    >
    > NO DIALTONE

    The problem seems to be solved adding the `ATX3' option
    in the chatscript:

    ABORT BUSY
    ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
    ABORT VOICE
    ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
    ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE'
    ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
    ABORT DELAYED

    '' ATZ
    OK-AT-OK ATX3
    OK-AT-OK "ATDT10550813521010"
    CONNECT \d\c

    .. Now I wish to add also the `+MS=34' option because without it,
    some time (say, 1/5 times) the connect script fails
    with a `NO CARRIER' message. But, if I put the string

    OK-AT-OK AT+MS=34

    in the chatscript, the connection always fails reporting
    the message:

    CHAP authentication failed: Authentication failure

    .. My /etc/ppp/chap-secrets seems all right.
    Both the `ATX3' and `+MS=34' options are
    present in my old wvdial.conf, and used to work fine:

    [Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/ttySL0
    Baud = 460800
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 X3 +MS=34
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    Phone = 10550813521010
    Username = romeomedina@libero.it
    Password =
    Carrier Check = no

    .. I wish to do the `translation' of my old wvdial configuration,
    that worked fine, into pppd.

    Do you have any hint about what I may be missing
    with the `+MS=34' option?

    Thanks,
    Rodolfo

  13. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    > I can connect to internet with my 56K modem using wvdial,
    > but would like to use ppp instead: can anybody provide a help?
    >
    > To make wvdial properly work, I simply edited two files:
    > `/etc/wvdial.conf' and `/etc/resolv.conf':
    > here's `/etc/wvdial.conf':
    >

    > [Dialer Defaults]
    > Modem = /dev/ttySL0
    > Baud = 460800
    > Init1 = ATZ
    > Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 X3 +MS=34
    > ISDN = 0
    > Modem Type = Analog Modem
    > Phone = 10550813521010
    > Username = romeomedina@libero.it
    > Password =
    > Carrier Check = no
    >

    > , and here's `/etc/resolv.conf':
    >

    > nameserver 193.70.192.25
    > nameserver 193.70.152.25
    > domain libero.it
    >

    > . I don't know how to fill the files `/etc/chatscripts/modem',
    > `/etc/ppp/resolv/modem' and `/etc/ppp/peers/modem', and
    > in case other files.

    It seems to be solved now.

    /etc/chatscripts/modem:

    ABORT BUSY
    ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
    ABORT VOICE
    ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
    ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE'
    ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
    ABORT DELAYED

    '' ATZ
    OK-AT-OK ATX3
    OK-AT-OK ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2X3+MS=34
    OK-AT-OK "ATDT10550813521010"
    CONNECT \d\c

    /etc/ppp/peers/modem:

    noauth
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -s -f /etc/chatscripts/modem"
    debug
    crtscts
    /dev/ttySL0
    57600
    defaultroute
    noipdefault
    user "romeomedina@libero.it"
    remotename modem
    usepeerdns
    nodetach

    /etc/resolv.conf:

    nameserver 193.70.192.25
    nameserver 193.70.152.25
    domain libero.it

    /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

    * hostname "" *

    "romeomedina@libero.it" modem ""

    /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

    "romeomedina@libero.it" modem ""

    /etc/ppp/options:

    asyncmap 0
    auth
    crtscts
    lock
    hide-password
    modem
    proxyarp
    lcp-echo-interval 30
    lcp-echo-failure 4
    noipx
    defaultroute
    noauth

    .. Only, with wvdial the connection would start in 20 seconds,
    whereas now it takes 25. Any idea about why and to fix it?

    Bye,
    Rodolfo

  14. Re: Migrating from wvdial to ppp

    Rodolfo Medina writes:
    > /etc/ppp/peers/modem:

    This part looks good.

    > /etc/ppp/options:
    >
    > asyncmap 0

    That's the default; lose it.

    > auth

    Likely not needed.

    > hide-password

    That's the default; remove.

    > modem

    Probably not needed.

    > proxyarp

    Almost certainly not needed.

    > defaultroute
    > noauth

    These two probably don't belong here. The /etc/ppp/options file is
    global for all PPP links on your system.

    > . Only, with wvdial the connection would start in 20 seconds,
    > whereas now it takes 25. Any idea about why and to fix it?

    Without debug logs showing the different between the two, it's almost
    certainly impossible to say why this might be true. It could be
    almost anything, from obscure modem options that are different between
    to two, to slight changes in the actual PPP negotiation timing that
    cause the peer to react differently.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network