Where to start pppd for demand dialing - PPP

This is a discussion on Where to start pppd for demand dialing - PPP ; I've looked at several different references -- man pages, How To sites, newsgroup archives -- without finding a clear answer: if I'm using pppd for demand dialing and IP forwarding (that is, I've got "demand" in an options file somewhere), ...

  1. Where to start pppd for demand dialing

    I've looked at several different references -- man pages, How To sites,
    newsgroup archives -- without finding a clear answer: if I'm using pppd
    for demand dialing and IP forwarding (that is, I've got "demand" in an
    options file somewhere), where should I start up pppd? Should it be in
    inittab with a respawn? If I disabled my PPP client would I then
    change disable pppd in the inittab (by changing from "respawn" to "off"
    or by comment out that line)? No doubt I have options but what's the
    nromal way to do this?

    Chris

  2. Re: Where to start pppd for demand dialing

    "Chris Nelson" writes:
    > I've looked at several different references -- man pages, How To sites,
    > newsgroup archives -- without finding a clear answer: if I'm using pppd
    > for demand dialing and IP forwarding (that is, I've got "demand" in an
    > options file somewhere), where should I start up pppd? Should it be in
    > inittab with a respawn? If I disabled my PPP client would I then
    > change disable pppd in the inittab (by changing from "respawn" to "off"
    > or by comment out that line)? No doubt I have options but what's the
    > nromal way to do this?

    The best place is probably an /etc/{init.d,rc.d,rc.*} script. (How
    you do that depends strongly on the platform you're using, and you
    didn't actually mention that part.)

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: Where to start pppd for demand dialing

    On 4 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in article
    <1146752159.019357.57700@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.c om>, Chris Nelson wrote:

    >I've looked at several different references -- man pages, How To sites,
    >newsgroup archives -- without finding a clear answer: if I'm using pppd
    >for demand dialing and IP forwarding (that is, I've got "demand" in an
    >options file somewhere), where should I start up pppd?

    OK - you are dialing _out_ with that - start it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    and don't forget 'echo -n 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr' so the
    kernel knows the ppp0 interface is going to have dynamic addresses.

    >Should it be in inittab with a respawn?

    That's normally where it starts when someone is dialing _in_ to you,
    rather than out to an ISP or similar.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread