pppd knows client ip address. - PPP

This is a discussion on pppd knows client ip address. - PPP ; hi, is there any way to pppd knows client ip address ? what i would like to do is that when client logged on pppd by chap secrets, i want to log that ip address. thanks in advance. regards....

  1. pppd knows client ip address.

    hi,

    is there any way to pppd knows client ip address ? what i would like to
    do is that when client logged on pppd by chap secrets, i want to log
    that ip address. thanks in advance.

    regards.

  2. Re: pppd knows client ip address.

    shetravel@gmail.com writes:

    >hi,

    >is there any way to pppd knows client ip address ? what i would like to
    >do is that when client logged on pppd by chap secrets, i want to log
    >that ip address. thanks in advance.

    ppp assigns the ip address to the ppp interface. It is delivered to
    /etc/ppp/ipup as one of th earguments. You can do with it what you want.
    On the other hand it is not clear what use this is since it is you that
    delivered that IP address to the remote machine. If you mean does ppp know
    the ip address of the remote machine on some other network, then the answer
    is no.

    >regards.

  3. Re: pppd knows client ip address.

    shetravel@gmail.com writes:
    > is there any way to pppd knows client ip address ? what i would like to
    > do is that when client logged on pppd by chap secrets, i want to log
    > that ip address. thanks in advance.

    It's already logged via syslog; the messages are logged with facility
    "daemon" and log level "notice."

    If that's not enough, you can create an /etc/ppp/ip-up script to do
    the work required. If that file is present and executable, then pppd
    will invoke it when IPCP goes to Opened state and an IP interface is
    configured. $5 (the fifth argument) passed to that script is the
    remote IP address of the link, and there's more information about the
    connection passed via the environment.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  4. Re: pppd knows client ip address.

    James Carlson writes:

    >shetravel@gmail.com writes:
    >> is there any way to pppd knows client ip address ? what i would like to
    >> do is that when client logged on pppd by chap secrets, i want to log
    >> that ip address. thanks in advance.

    >It's already logged via syslog; the messages are logged with facility
    >"daemon" and log level "notice."

    >If that's not enough, you can create an /etc/ppp/ip-up script to do
    >the work required. If that file is present and executable, then pppd
    >will invoke it when IPCP goes to Opened state and an IP interface is
    >configured. $5 (the fifth argument) passed to that script is the
    >remote IP address of the link, and there's more information about the
    >connection passed via the environment.

    I suspect, but do not know, that what the OP wanted was teh IP address of
    the remote system as registered with some other connection to the net say.
    Ie, and identifier for the other side. Since your server assigns
    (usually) the IP address to the other side, it is a bit useless as an
    identifier.
    That information is not available however (ie the information as to what
    the IP address is for the caller on other connections)

    However I may be wrong as to what the OP wants.

  5. Re: pppd knows client ip address.

    i just solved client ip address passing through the pppd parameters. i
    works fine. anyhow thank you all yours.

    cheers.

+ Reply to Thread