Disconnection command? - PPP

This is a discussion on Disconnection command? - PPP ; Under Gnu/Debian Linux, to connect and disconnect I use the commands 'pon' and 'poff' respectively. Instead, other Linux distributions don't have 'pon' and 'poff': then I connect with 'pppd call my_provider', but don't know how to disconnect apart from switching ...

  1. Disconnection command?

    Under Gnu/Debian Linux, to connect and disconnect I use the commands
    'pon' and 'poff' respectively.
    Instead, other Linux distributions don't have 'pon' and 'poff':
    then I connect with 'pppd call my_provider', but don't
    know how to disconnect apart from switching off the phone.

    Can you please suggest the suitable command to disconnect?

    Thanks,
    Rodolfo

  2. Re: Disconnection command?

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Under Gnu/Debian Linux, to connect and disconnect I use the commands
    >'pon' and 'poff' respectively.
    >Instead, other Linux distributions don't have 'pon' and 'poff':
    >then I connect with 'pppd call my_provider', but don't
    >know how to disconnect apart from switching off the phone.

    >Can you please suggest the suitable command to disconnect?

    killall pppd

    >Thanks,
    >Rodolfo

  3. Re: Disconnection command?

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in article
    , Rodolfo Medina wrote:

    >Under Gnu/Debian Linux, to connect and disconnect I use the commands
    >'pon' and 'poff' respectively.
    >Instead, other Linux distributions don't have 'pon' and 'poff':

    Yes, that's a Debian application.

    >then I connect with 'pppd call my_provider', but don't
    >know how to disconnect apart from switching off the phone.

    If you have access to that console/terminal where you ran that command
    and it is _running_ the pppd daemon (no command prompt), then pressing
    the left Ctrl and C keys will stop the session.

    If you ran that 'pppd call my_provider' and the command prompt returns
    so that you can do other things while the call is in progress, then
    you can disconnect using

    killall -TERM pppd

    Old guy

  4. Re: Disconnection command?

  5. Re: Disconnection command?

    Unruh writes:

    > killall pppd

    Thanks, it works, but only under Debian; instead, with Mandrake 10.1,
    if I close the connection with 'killall pppd', when I try to start it again
    I get the following output:

    Apr 20 13:50:31 localhost pppd[4211]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (BUSY)
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (VOICE)
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO DIAL TONE)
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (DELAYED)
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: send (ATZ^M)
    Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: expect (OK)
    Apr 20 13:51:17 localhost chat[4212]: alarm
    Apr 20 13:51:17 localhost chat[4212]: send (AT^M)
    Apr 20 13:51:17 localhost chat[4212]: expect (OK)
    Apr 20 13:52:02 localhost chat[4212]: alarm
    Apr 20 13:52:02 localhost chat[4212]: Failed
    Apr 20 13:52:02 localhost pppd[4211]: Connect script failed
    Apr 20 13:52:03 localhost pppd[4211]: Exit.

    .. Then I have to switch off the phone and switch it on again, and then it
    works.
    Unfortunately I have to use Mandrake because I don't know how to
    install Emacs cvs and Gnus cvs under Debian yet.

    Any suggestion?
    Cheers,
    Rodolfo

  6. Re: Disconnection command?

    ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) writes:

    > If you have access to that console/terminal where you ran that command
    > and it is _running_ the pppd daemon (no command prompt), then pressing
    > the left Ctrl and C keys will stop the session.

    No, I run that 'pppd call my_provider' and the command prompt returns
    so that I can do other things while the call is in progress:
    on another console I get the pppd output after I did:
    $ tail -f /var/log/pppd
    .. But I wish instead to do as you say:
    get the pppd output on the same console where I did
    'pppd call my_provider', and then close connection simpy with 'C-c'.
    Can you suggest how to do so?

    Moe Trin:

    > If you ran that 'pppd call my_provider' and the command prompt returns
    > so that you can do other things while the call is in progress, then
    > you can disconnect using
    >
    > killall -TERM pppd

    Thanks: but 'killall pppd' only works under Debian; instead,
    with Mandrake 10.1,
    if I close the connection with 'killall pppd',
    or also with 'killall -TERM pppd', when I try to start it again
[...]

  7. Re: Disconnection command?

    Lew Pitcher writes:

    > I'll be /really/ pedantic and say...
    >
    > For ppp0
    > kill SIGHUP `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`
    >
    > For ppp1
    > kill SIGHUP `cat /var/run/ppp1.pid`
    >
    > etc
    >
    > FWIW, you can substitute -SIGTERM or -SIGINT for -SIGHUP

    Thanks: but on my system there's no file named ppp*.pid.
    Cheers,
    Rodolfo

  8. Re: Disconnection command?

    Lew Pitcher writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> Rodolfo Medina writes:
    >>
    >>> Under Gnu/Debian Linux, to connect and disconnect I use the commands
    >>> 'pon' and 'poff' respectively.
    >>> Instead, other Linux distributions don't have 'pon' and 'poff':
    >>> then I connect with 'pppd call my_provider', but don't
    >>> know how to disconnect apart from switching off the phone.

    >>> Can you please suggest the suitable command to disconnect?

    >> killall pppd

    >I'll be /really/ pedantic and say...

    >For ppp0
    > kill SIGHUP `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`

    >For ppp1
    > kill SIGHUP `cat /var/run/ppp1.pid`

    If you have many instances of pppd running then sure, do it this way. If
    not, killall pppd works just fine, and is certainly easier than your way.

    I have never had call to have more than one instance-- since if I have one,
    I have a connection to the net, and that is all I need.
    But others may have more than one.

    >etc

    >FWIW, you can substitute -SIGTERM or -SIGINT for -SIGHUP

    >- --
    >Lew Pitcher

    >Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training | GPG public key available on request
    >Registered Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)
    >Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing.

  9. Re: Disconnection command?

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >>>Under Gnu/Debian Linux, to connect and disconnect I use the commands
    >>>'pon' and 'poff' respectively.
    >>>Instead, other Linux distributions don't have 'pon' and 'poff':
    >>>then I connect with 'pppd call my_provider', but don't
    >>>know how to disconnect apart from switching off the phone.

    >>>Can you please suggest the suitable command to disconnect?

    >Unruh writes:

    >> killall pppd

    >Thanks, it works, but only under Debian; instead, with Mandrake 10.1,
    >if I close the connection with 'killall pppd', when I try to start it again
    >I get the following output:

    That appears to be a problem with your serial line.

    >Apr 20 13:50:31 localhost pppd[4211]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (BUSY)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (VOICE)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO DIAL TONE)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (DELAYED)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: send (ATZ^M)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: expect (OK)
    >Apr 20 13:51:17 localhost chat[4212]: alarm
    >Apr 20 13:51:17 localhost chat[4212]: send (AT^M)
    >Apr 20 13:51:17 localhost chat[4212]: expect (OK)
    >Apr 20 13:52:02 localhost chat[4212]: alarm
    >Apr 20 13:52:02 localhost chat[4212]: Failed
    >Apr 20 13:52:02 localhost pppd[4211]: Connect script failed
    >Apr 20 13:52:03 localhost pppd[4211]: Exit.

    >. Then I have to switch off the phone and switch it on again, and then it
    >works.

    Switch off the phone? Is this one of those attrocious gsm modems?

    Also are you sure you are not doing
    killall -9 pppd
    That does not allow pppd to clean up after itself.

    You could also put something into /etc/ppp/ipdown to reset the modem.
    Somehow it is not resetting itself when it gets the hangup signal.
    You might look in /etc/ppp/ifdown in debian to see if they have some
    special script in there.

    >Unfortunately I have to use Mandrake because I don't know how to
    >install Emacs cvs and Gnus cvs under Debian yet.

    >Any suggestion?
    >Cheers,
    >Rodolfo

  10. Re: Disconnection command?

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in article
    , Rodolfo Medina wrote:

    >(Moe Trin) writes:
    >
    >> If you have access to that console/terminal where you ran that command
    >> and it is _running_ the pppd daemon (no command prompt), then pressing
    >> the left Ctrl and C keys will stop the session.

    >No, I run that 'pppd call my_provider' and the command prompt returns
    >so that I can do other things while the call is in progress:
    >on another console I get the pppd output after I did:
    >$ tail -f /var/log/pppd
    >. But I wish instead to do as you say:
    >get the pppd output on the same console where I did
    >'pppd call my_provider', and then close connection simpy with 'C-c'.
    >Can you suggest how to do so?

    The 'tail -f /var/log/pppd; command is only getting what you told pppd
    to put into that file - probable with the debug command and -v option to
    chat. Without those options, pppd puts very little (if any) information to
    the dialin terminal. Hmmm, had to look for a terminal that I've used
    ppp in:

    [compton ~]$ dialin454
    ppp link connected to XXXXXX
    [compton ~]$

    Here, I used one of my dialin scripts, and the only thing seen is a message
    I had /etc/ppp/ip-up create. No call progress, no dialer dialog - nothing.

    I suspect you can add the option 'nodetach' to the file
    /etc/ppp/peers/my_provider to cause the pppd not to have the terminal prompt
    return immediately (which is the default from the command line).

    >Thanks: but 'killall pppd' only works under Debian;

    It's disconnecting under mandrake, so it is working. You have another problem.

    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (BUSY)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (VOICE)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO DIAL TONE)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: abort on (DELAYED)

    Does your modem know how to say all of those things? Most do not.

    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: send (ATZ^M)
    >Apr 20 13:50:32 localhost chat[4212]: expect (OK)

    Please check the modem manual, and verify that is the recommended init
    string. Under the Hayes command set, ATZ resets the modem to "some"
    saved condition. In this case, it is not providing return codes, so
    chat has no means of seeing what the modem is doing.

    >Apr 20 13:51:17 localhost chat[4212]: send (AT^M)
    >Apr 20 13:51:17 localhost chat[4212]: expect (OK)

    Even less useful. "I am going to send you a command", and you send none.

    >. Then I have to switch off the phone and switch it on again, and then it
    >works.

    When you "power cycle" the modem, you are setting it to the factory defaults,
    and chat is able to talk to the modem.

    >Unfortunately I have to use Mandrake because I don't know how to install
    >Emacs cvs and Gnus cvs under Debian yet.

    I would expect CVS files to be used in the same manner in both systems,
    but you might have found a CVS in rpm format, which is unusual.

    In your reply to Lew Pitcher, you stated:

    >Thanks: but on my system there's no file named ppp*.pid.

    After pppd is up and running, it should create that file. When pppd
    shuts down, it removes the file. Thus, you would only find it while pppd
    is running. It's described in the man page.

    Old guy

  11. Re: Disconnection command?

    Unruh writes:

    > Switch off the phone? Is this one of those attrocious gsm modems?

    Why do you call them that? Bad quality?
    But they are very useful, even necessary when you're travelling.

    Cheers,
    Rodolfo

  12. Re: Disconnection command?

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > I suspect you can add the option 'nodetach' to the file
    > /etc/ppp/peers/my_provider to cause the pppd not to have the terminal prompt
    > return immediately (which is the default from the command line).

    Thanks:
    The option 'nodetach' seems to be fine. Now, in Debian I do:

    $ tail -f /var/log/pppd | pon my_provider

    and it happens what I want, i.e.:
    1) the output is given in the same console where I gave the connection command;
    2) I can stop connection with 'C-c'.
    Only, the output begins to come out after a while, so its first part is lost.
    How can I improve all that? It was the same with:

    $ tail -f /var/log/pppd && pon my_provider

    Rodolfo:

    >>Unfortunately I have to use Mandrake because I don't know how to install
    >>Emacs cvs and Gnus cvs under Debian yet.

    Moe:

    > I would expect CVS files to be used in the same manner in both systems,
    > but you might have found a CVS in rpm format, which is unusual.

    No, no cvs in rmp format.
    It's only that debian is much more user-difficult than mandrake.

    Cheers,
    Rodolfo

  13. Re: Disconnection command?

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >>>. Then I have to switch off the phone and switch it on again, and then it
    >>>works.

    >Unruh writes:

    >> Switch off the phone? Is this one of those attrocious gsm modems?

    >Why do you call them that? Bad quality?
    >But they are very useful, even necessary when you're travelling.

    The quality of their implimentation of ppp and of their abilities as a
    modem leave much to be desired, as you are discovering.
    I assume that you really meant that paragraph to start with
    "Yes, it is."

    It looks to me like you will need to put something into /etc/ppp/ipdown to
    reset the modem/phone before you completely shut down. Eg use chat to send
    it a hangup command?

    >Cheers,
    >Rodolfo

  14. Re: Disconnection command?

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    > Rodolfo Medina wrote:

    >>>I run 'pppd call my_provider' and the command prompt returns
    >>>so that I can do other things while the call is in progress:
    >>>on another console I get the pppd output after I did:
    >>>$ tail -f /var/log/pppd
    >>>. But I wish instead to do as you say:
    >>>get the pppd output on the same console where I did
    >>>'pppd call my_provider', and then close connection simpy with 'C-c'.
    >>>Can you suggest how to do so?

    I think this is a terrible solution. ^C does nothing except send the
    program a kill signal. Ie, it is absolutely no different from using
    killall, and you have a terminal used up and messed up with that program

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> I suspect you can add the option 'nodetach' to the file
    >> /etc/ppp/peers/my_provider to cause the pppd not to have the terminal prompt
    >> return immediately (which is the default from the command line).

    Again, except maybe for debugging purposes I see no point to this.

    >Thanks:
    >The option 'nodetach' seems to be fine. Now, in Debian I do:

    >$ tail -f /var/log/pppd | pon my_provider

    Why in the world would you pipe the output of tail into the program pon?
    Makes no sense to me.

    >and it happens what I want, i.e.:
    >1) the output is given in the same console where I gave the connection command;

    Why is that an advantage.

    >2) I can stop connection with 'C-c'.

    Why is that an advantage? Are your typing skills that bad?

    >Only, the output begins to come out after a while, so its first part is lost.
    >How can I improve all that? It was the same with:

    >$ tail -f /var/log/pppd && pon my_provider

    This makes more sense. However, I do not know what you mean by "the first
    part" Do you mean the chat stuff? You probably forgot to tell chat to send
    stuff to /var/log/pppd ( chat uses local2 not daemon as the log facility)

    >Rodolfo:

    >>>Unfortunately I have to use Mandrake because I don't know how to install
    >>>Emacs cvs and Gnus cvs under Debian yet.

    >Moe:

    >> I would expect CVS files to be used in the same manner in both systems,
    >> but you might have found a CVS in rpm format, which is unusual.

    >No, no cvs in rmp format.
    >It's only that debian is much more user-difficult than mandrake.

  15. Re: Disconnection command?

    Unruh writes:

    > Switch off the phone? Is this one of those attrocious gsm modems?

    It's a Motorola c350 and a Nokia 6630.

    > The quality of their implimentation of ppp and of their abilities as a
    > modem leave much to be desired, as you are discovering.

    I see, but since I was on travel in the last months and will be in the
    next, I need using them.

    > It looks to me like you will need to put something into /etc/ppp/ipdown to
    > reset the modem/phone before you completely shut down. Eg use chat to send
    > it a hangup command?

    I replaced the '/etc/ppp/ip-down' that is in Mandrake
    with the one that is in Debian, but the problem remained:
    strange, because with Debian the problem does not arise.

    Cheers,
    Rodolfo

  16. Re: Disconnection command?

    Unruh writes:

    > This makes more sense. However, I do not know what you mean by "the first
    > part" Do you mean the chat stuff? You probably forgot to tell chat to send
    > stuff to /var/log/pppd ( chat uses local2 not daemon as the log facility)

    But if I do 'tail -f /var/log/pppd' and 'pon my_provider' on two different
    terminals, in the first one I get *all* the output, included the chat stuff.

    Cheers,
    Rodolfo

  17. Re: Disconnection command?

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >Rodolfo Medina writes:

    >>>$ tail -f /var/log/pppd && pon my_provider
    >>>
    >>>Only, the output begins to come out after a while, so its first part is lost.
    >>>How can I improve all that?

    >Unruh writes:

    >> This makes more sense. However, I do not know what you mean by "the first
    >> part" Do you mean the chat stuff? You probably forgot to tell chat to send
    >> stuff to /var/log/pppd ( chat uses local2 not daemon as the log facility)

    >But if I do 'tail -f /var/log/pppd' and 'pon my_provider' on two different
    >terminals, in the first one I get *all* the output, included the chat stuff.

    Well, then, do that.

    You might want to track down why the other does not work as an intellectual
    exercise, but it sounds like a waste of time to me.

    >Cheers,
    >Rodolfo

  18. Re: Disconnection command?

    Rodolfo Medina writes:

    > No, I run that 'pppd call my_provider' and the command prompt returns
    > so that I can do other things while the call is in progress:
    > on another console I get the pppd output after I did:
    > $ tail -f /var/log/pppd
    > . But I wish instead to do as you say:
    > get the pppd output on the same console where I did
    > 'pppd call my_provider', and then close connection simpy with 'C-c'.
    > Can you suggest how to do so?

    All I needed was:
    in the file `/etc/ppp/peers/my_provider' put the `debug' and `nodetach'
    options and edit the chat line like this:

    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -s -f /etc/chatscripts/my_provider"

    or also like this:

    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -e -f /etc/chatscripts/my_provider"

    .. Bye,
    Rodolfo

+ Reply to Thread