ppp and bonding help - PPP

This is a discussion on ppp and bonding help - PPP ; I am trying to set up bonding using two null modem connections and PPP. I have gotten bonding to work with Ethernet but having trouble with ppp over null modem because it appears that ppp cannot carry a connection with ...

  1. ppp and bonding help

    I am trying to set up bonding using two null modem connections and PPP.
    I have gotten bonding to work with Ethernet but having trouble with
    ppp over null modem because it appears that ppp cannot carry a
    connection with out an IP address.( I hope I am incorrect) If ppp0 and
    ppp1 have an assigned IP address my bond0 doesn't seem to work.
    After an ifenslave bond0 ppp0 ppp1 the bond0 interface is present and
    it appears to be working but I can not ping something on the network.
    This is the same way with my Ethernet but if I don't specify an ip
    address for each interface except for bond0 it works well. I am using
    Debian Linux 2.4 kernel. The ppp command I use to make the ppp
    connection is pppd -detach crtscts lock 192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2
    /dev/ttyS4 57600 & If I don't specife and IP address it connects and
    then hangs up, the same with if I use then noipdefault option So is
    there anyway to get ppp and bonding working? How can I get ppp to stay
    connected with out an IP address? Thanks

  2. Re: ppp and bonding help

    laclac01@yahoo.com writes:
    > I am trying to set up bonding using two null modem connections and PPP.

    Why wouldn't you use Multilink PPP (MP) instead?

    > I have gotten bonding to work with Ethernet but having trouble with
    > ppp over null modem because it appears that ppp cannot carry a
    > connection with out an IP address.( I hope I am incorrect)

    You're not incorrect.

    > If ppp0 and
    > ppp1 have an assigned IP address my bond0 doesn't seem to work.
    > After an ifenslave bond0 ppp0 ppp1 the bond0 interface is present and
    > it appears to be working but I can not ping something on the network.

    Assuming you must do this via "bonding," I don't think this is really
    a PPP issue. It sounds like bonding doesn't support point-to-point
    links well. You might want to contact a Linux-related newsgroup and
    ask for help with bonding instead.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network