ppp with smart card - PPP

This is a discussion on ppp with smart card - PPP ; Normally ppp users authenticate via pap /chap. I have the need to authenticate via smart card against a ppp server. Is there any chance to do this with ppp on a linux client? Thanks Norbert...

  1. ppp with smart card

    Normally ppp users authenticate via pap /chap.
    I have the need to authenticate via smart card against a ppp server.
    Is there any chance to do this with ppp on a linux client?
    Thanks
    Norbert

  2. Re: ppp with smart card

    Norbert Wegener writes:
    > Normally ppp users authenticate via pap /chap.
    > I have the need to authenticate via smart card against a ppp server.
    > Is there any chance to do this with ppp on a linux client?

    "Any chance?" Sure. If you can figure out the plug-in interface used
    in pppd, and you have a library or other suitable interface that will
    perform the smart card validation function, you can write a module
    that will connect these two together. Look at "passprompt" as an
    example of a really trivial plug-in.

    CHAP is likely not possible. CHAP works by sending a random challenge
    to the peer, which must compute a hash using that challenge and the
    shared secret. In the case of a smart card, there's usually no way to
    get at the shared secret, and thus no way to validate that the peer's
    response is correct.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network