How to get output during ppp connection? - PPP

This is a discussion on How to get output during ppp connection? - PPP ; Excuse this basic question: when I connect, with '# pppd call my_provider', or '# pon my_provider', I don't get any output, although the 'debug' option is present in the file '/etc/ppp/peers/my_provider'. If I want to see what's happening (wether the ...

  1. How to get output during ppp connection?

    Excuse this basic question:
    when I connect, with '# pppd call my_provider', or '# pon my_provider',
    I don't get any output, although the 'debug' option is present
    in the file '/etc/ppp/peers/my_provider'.
    If I want to see what's happening
    (wether the connection is proceeding well, wether it is broken,
    or whatever else), I have to type also: '# plog'.

    Now, how can I get a verbose and complete output straight out of the
    commands 'pppd call' or 'pon'?

    At

    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG...coms/unix.html

    I read:

    This is a trace from a successful GPRS connection using ppp v2.4.1 and
    the scripts linked above, on an Ericsson R520m. (To get this output,
    edit /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-eric to add a line with the word 'debug', and
    add '-e' to the calls to chat.
    drummond$ pppd call gprs-eric
    GPRS Modem init: press -C to disconnect
    +++ATATQ0V1&C1
    OK
    ATE1
    OK
    AT&F
    OK
    .... etcetera.
    Now, where shall I put the '-e' option? It is not clear in the above
    explanation.
    I did many attempts, none of them successful.

    Thanks, and excuse again the basicness of my question.

    Rodolfo

  2. Re: How to get output during ppp connection?

    "Rodolfo Medina" writes:

    >Excuse this basic question:
    >when I connect, with '# pppd call my_provider', or '# pon my_provider',
    >I don't get any output, although the 'debug' option is present
    >in the file '/etc/ppp/peers/my_provider'.
    >If I want to see what's happening
    >(wether the connection is proceeding well, wether it is broken,
    > or whatever else), I have to type also: '# plog'.

    pppd sends its logging output to syslog, daemon log.
    place the line
    daemon.*;local2.* /var/log/ppplog
    into /etc/syslog.conf and then do
    killall -1 syslogd

    If you want to watch, do
    tail -f /var/log/ppplog

    >Now, how can I get a verbose and complete output straight out of the
    >commands 'pppd call' or 'pon'?

    >At

    >http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG...coms/unix.html

    >I read:

    >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >This is a trace from a successful GPRS connection using ppp v2.4.1 and
    >the scripts linked above, on an Ericsson R520m. (To get this output,
    >edit /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-eric to add a line with the word 'debug', and
    >add '-e' to the calls to chat.
    >drummond$ pppd call gprs-eric
    >GPRS Modem init: press -C to disconnect
    >+++ATATQ0V1&C1
    >OK
    >ATE1
    >OK
    >AT&F
    >OK
    >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >... etcetera.
    >Now, where shall I put the '-e' option? It is not clear in the above
    >explanation.
    >I did many attempts, none of them successful.

    It is -v, not -e.
    and the output is sent to syslog with log local2.
    Thus the local2 in the syslog.conf file

  3. Re: How to get output during ppp connection?

    Thanks!
    I did as you suggested:

    at the end of the file /etc/syslog.conf I put the line

    daemon.*;local2.* /var/log/ppplog

    , then did

    # killall -1 syslogd

    and then opened the connection with:

    # pon my_provider ; tail -f /var/log/ppplog

    , and got the output during the connection.
    But in the example reported above, from
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG...coms/unix.html
    , he just did '# pppd call my_provider',
    without 'tail -f ...', and got the output just the same.
    How to do so?

    Rodolfo

  4. Re: How to get output during ppp connection?

    "Rodolfo Medina" writes:

    >Thanks!
    >I did as you suggested:

    >at the end of the file /etc/syslog.conf I put the line

    >daemon.*;local2.* /var/log/ppplog

    >, then did

    ># killall -1 syslogd

    >and then opened the connection with:

    ># pon my_provider ; tail -f /var/log/ppplog

    >, and got the output during the connection.
    >But in the example reported above, from
    >http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG...coms/unix.html
    >, he just did '# pppd call my_provider',
    >without 'tail -f ...', and got the output just the same.
    >How to do so?

    The "tail -f..." is just so you can see it scolling on the screen while it
    is happening. Anything posted here is not in that category. the output is
    stored in /var/log/ppplog YOu can read it there whenever you wish.

    >Rodolfo

  5. Re: How to get output during ppp connection?

    It seems to be quite fine like this:
    in one console, I do:

    # tail -f /var/log/syslog

    , and in another one:

    # pon my_provider

    .. This way I can watch the output proceeding.
    To stop the connection,

    # poff my_provider

    in the second console.

    Rodolfo

  6. Re: How to get output during ppp connection?

    "Rodolfo Medina" writes:

    > when I connect, with '# pppd call my_provider', or '# pon my_provider',
    > I don't get any output, although the 'debug' option is present
    > in the file '/etc/ppp/peers/my_provider'.
    > If I want to see what's happening
    > (wether the connection is proceeding well, wether it is broken,
    > or whatever else), I have to type also: '# plog'.
    >
    > Now, how can I get a verbose and complete output straight out of the
    > commands 'pppd call' or 'pon'?

    All I needed was:
    in the file `/etc/ppp/peers/my_provider' put the `debug' and `nodetach'
    options and edit the chat line like this:

    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -s -f /etc/chatscripts/my_provider"

    or also like this:

    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -e -f /etc/chatscripts/my_provider"

    .. Bye,
    Rodolfo

+ Reply to Thread