Connection freeze - PPP

This is a discussion on Connection freeze - PPP ; PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and authorizing complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The connection freeze immediately after start WWW or FTP or SSH sessions (large incoming data). I can ping with a large packets (by 1440 bytes) ...

  1. Connection freeze

    PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and authorizing
    complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The connection freeze immediately
    after start WWW or FTP or SSH sessions (large incoming data). I can ping
    with a large packets (by 1440 bytes) pretty long (much longer than
    usual), but connection froze then and ping said "buffer overflow". The
    physical connection looks up but no more packets received.

    Internal modem work fine under MacOS (like now) and it worked two year
    ago at Gentoo 1.4.

    I also try IrDA (internal) and USB-Blootooth (GPRS through Nokia),
    different kernels, different ppp version - same thing.

    I think something wrong in PPP or IP settings, maybe queueing or buffers
    size? What else should i check?

    Powerbook Wallstreet G3, Kernel 2.6.14, PPP 2.4.3, Gentoo.

    Axl

  2. Re: Connection freeze

    Axl writes:
    > PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and authorizing
    > complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The connection freeze
    > immediately after start WWW or FTP or SSH sessions (large incoming
    > data).

    That's typically either a flow control problem or trouble with path
    MTU discovery.

    > I can ping with a large packets (by 1440 bytes) pretty long
    > (much longer than usual), but connection froze then and ping said
    > "buffer overflow". The physical connection looks up but no more
    > packets received.

    If it gets stuck completely (not even default ping works), then I'd
    have to guess that the problem is most likely with flow control.

    Some things to try:

    - If you're not specifying "crtscts", try it.

    - Try turning off the compression mechanisms. This should do it:

    "noccp novj noaccomp nopcomp"

    - Try changing the ACCM. Use at least "asyncmap 000a0000", but also
    try "default-asyncmap".

    - Check the reference manual for the modem in use and see what the
    flow control options are.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: Connection freeze

    Axl wrote:
    > PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and authorizing
    > complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The connection freeze immediately
    > after start WWW or FTP or SSH sessions (large incoming data). I can ping
    > with a large packets (by 1440 bytes) pretty long (much longer than
    > usual), but connection froze then and ping said "buffer overflow". The
    > physical connection looks up but no more packets received.

    > Internal modem work fine under MacOS (like now) and it worked two year
    > ago at Gentoo 1.4.

    > I also try IrDA (internal) and USB-Blootooth (GPRS through Nokia),
    > different kernels, different ppp version - same thing.

    > I think something wrong in PPP or IP settings, maybe queueing or buffers
    > size? What else should i check?

    Flow-control. If it's Macintosh hardware then you might need the pppd
    cdtrcts option. You can read about this option in man pppd.

    /* The wealth of a nation is created by the productive labor of its
    * citizens. */

  4. Re: Connection freeze

    Clifford Kite wrote:
    > Axl wrote:
    >> PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and authorizing
    >> complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The connection freeze immediately
    >> after start WWW or FTP or SSH sessions (large incoming data). I can ping
    >> with a large packets (by 1440 bytes) pretty long (much longer than
    >> usual), but connection froze then and ping said "buffer overflow". The
    >> physical connection looks up but no more packets received.

    >> Internal modem work fine under MacOS (like now) and it worked two year
    >> ago at Gentoo 1.4.

    >> I also try IrDA (internal) and USB-Blootooth (GPRS through Nokia),
    >> different kernels, different ppp version - same thing.

    >> I think something wrong in PPP or IP settings, maybe queueing or buffers
    >> size? What else should i check?

    > Flow-control. If it's Macintosh hardware then you might need the pppd
    > cdtrcts option. You can read about this option in man pppd.

    But the same thing happens when I try connect through

    PCMCIA USB (D-Link)-> USB Bluetooth -> Nokia 6310i -> GPRS

    I not even use the internal serial interface (zilog 85C30) in this case.
    Connection Mac<--->Nokia (contacts uploading/downloading) works well.

  5. Re: Connection freeze

    Axl wrote:
    > Clifford Kite wrote:
    >> Axl wrote:
    >>> PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and authorizing
    >>> complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The connection freeze immediately
    >>> after start WWW or FTP or SSH sessions (large incoming data). I can ping
    >>> with a large packets (by 1440 bytes) pretty long (much longer than
    >>> usual), but connection froze then and ping said "buffer overflow". The
    >>> physical connection looks up but no more packets received.

    >>> Internal modem work fine under MacOS (like now) and it worked two year
    >>> ago at Gentoo 1.4.

    >>> I also try IrDA (internal) and USB-Blootooth (GPRS through Nokia),
    >>> different kernels, different ppp version - same thing.

    >>> I think something wrong in PPP or IP settings, maybe queueing or buffers
    >>> size? What else should i check?

    >> Flow-control. If it's Macintosh hardware then you might need the pppd
    >> cdtrcts option. You can read about this option in man pppd.
    >>

    > But the same thing happens when I try connect through

    > PCMCIA USB (D-Link)-> USB Bluetooth -> Nokia 6310i -> GPRS

    > I not even use the internal serial interface (zilog 85C30) in this case.
    > Connection Mac<--->Nokia (contacts uploading/downloading) works well.

    Okay, in your first post there was also this:

    Powerbook Wallstreet G3, Kernel 2.6.14, PPP 2.4.3, Gentoo.

    When I tried to move past the Linux 2.6.8.1 kernel which I currently
    use certain problems (not related to PPP) arose that I haven't been
    able to resolve. There *was* a problem with the PPP code of 2.6.7,
    since corrected, and so it's not inconceivable that there might be
    a bug in 2.6.14 that could cause such a problem.

    I'm certainly not a kernel expert. But I started with the 1.2.13
    kernel and have been able to upgrade "stable" kernels over the
    years (compiling them from pristine sources) as well as the software
    revisions specified in Documentation/Changes without much difficulty -
    until the 2.6.x series came along.

    In view of what you've said and in the absence of any changes to the
    pppd/chat connection scripts, no other suggestions come to mind, except
    that James Carlson's suggestion to add the pppd default-asyncmap option
    should be tried.

    /* I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    --Confucius, 551-479 BC */

+ Reply to Thread