man page problem - PPP

This is a discussion on man page problem - PPP ; In comp.os.linux.setup, in and article number '1127453581.494849.43550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com' on 22 Sep 2005 22:33:01 -0700, "frank@chagford.com" posted from google groups: ]using FC4. I want to set up dial on demand ]man pppd states that the remote IP address must be specified ...

  1. man page problem

    In comp.os.linux.setup, in and article number
    '1127453581.494849.43550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com' on 22 Sep 2005
    22:33:01 -0700, "frank@chagford.com" posted from google groups:

    ]using FC4. I want to set up dial on demand

    ]man pppd states that the remote IP address must be specified when using
    ]the demand option. My isp assigns the local and remote ip addresses
    ]dynamically, so I do not know what to put here.

    Quoting the man page from ppp-2.3.5 through ppp-2.4.3, I see:

    demand Initiate the link only on demand, i.e. when data
    traffic is present. With this option, the remote
    IP address must be specified by the user on the
    command line or in an options file. Pppd will ini-
    tially configure the interface and enable it for IP
    traffic without connecting to the peer.

    Note the second sentence. This conflicts with the change note for 2.3.10,
    as found in the earlier ./ppp-2.3.n/README (where 'n' is 10 or greater)
    and ./ppp-2.4.?/Changes-2.3, where we find:

    * Pppd no longer requires a remote address to be specified for demand
    dialling. If none is specified, it will use a default value of
    10.112.112.112+unit_number. (It will not propose this default to
    the peer.)

    This looks as if the change didn't make it into the man pages (as well
    as a minor typo for "dialling"). Comments?

    I posted a reply to the effect that this was a man page error, and showed
    a script (which includes all options from a command line) that has worked
    for me since (I dunno, 2.3.11?) well before Dust Puppy made it national.

    Old guy

  2. Re: man page problem

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.setup, in and article number
    > '1127453581.494849.43550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com' on 22 Sep 2005
    > 22:33:01 -0700, "frank@chagford.com" posted from google groups:

    > ]using FC4. I want to set up dial on demand

    > ]man pppd states that the remote IP address must be specified when using
    > ]the demand option. My isp assigns the local and remote ip addresses
    > ]dynamically, so I do not know what to put here.

    > Quoting the man page from ppp-2.3.5 through ppp-2.4.3, I see:

    > demand Initiate the link only on demand, i.e. when data
    > traffic is present. With this option, the remote
    > IP address must be specified by the user on the
    > command line or in an options file. Pppd will ini-
    > tially configure the interface and enable it for IP
    > traffic without connecting to the peer.

    > Note the second sentence. This conflicts with the change note for 2.3.10,
    > as found in the earlier ./ppp-2.3.n/README (where 'n' is 10 or greater)
    > and ./ppp-2.4.?/Changes-2.3, where we find:

    > * Pppd no longer requires a remote address to be specified for demand
    > dialling. If none is specified, it will use a default value of
    > 10.112.112.112+unit_number. (It will not propose this default to
    > the peer.)

    > This looks as if the change didn't make it into the man pages (as well
    > as a minor typo for "dialling"). Comments?

    Why not...

    As you certainly know, many man pages don't keep up with the entities
    they describe. I agree that something like this would be enlightening:

    Demand mode requires local and remote IP addresses. These may be
    explicitly specified, but if either is not then pppd defaults to
    the local address 10.64.64.64+unit_number and the remote address
    10.112.112.112+unit_number. The sole exception is when the local
    address isn't specified but is obtained from a LAN interface in the
    absence of noipdefault.

    The use of "dialling" is common and often due to the writer's native
    language not being English (do Aussies speak English? . It's that
    way in 2.3.5 too - which had the demand option, but not in 2.2.0f++ -
    which didn't have that option, or the word dialing either.

    > I posted a reply to the effect that this was a man page error, and showed
    > a script (which includes all options from a command line) that has worked
    > for me since (I dunno, 2.3.11?) well before Dust Puppy made it national.

    "Dust Puppy" draws a blank here, mate. But 2.3.5 had those default
    remote and local addresses for demand mode and, from what I see in
    the 2.3.5 README, demand mode was likely a part of 2.3.0 as well.

    /* The generation of random numbers is too important to be left
    to chance. */

  3. Re: man page problem

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in article
    , Clifford Kite wrote:

    Hi Clifford!

    >> Quoting the man page from ppp-2.3.5 through ppp-2.4.3, I see:

    s/5/0/ I found the older page.

    >> Note the second sentence. This conflicts with the change note for 2.3.10,
    >> as found in the earlier ./ppp-2.3.n/README (where 'n' is 10 or greater)
    >> and ./ppp-2.4.?/Changes-2.3, where we find:

    >As you certainly know, many man pages don't keep up with the entities
    >they describe.

    I was mainly trying to remind people about this - 2.3.10 goes back about
    six years, and this one seems to have been completely forgotten. Hopefully,
    it gets on the "to do" list.

    >do Aussies speak English? .

    Nah, they speak 'strine'. But then, the other crowd across the other pond
    don't speak English either, and they _certainly_ can't spell. ;-)

    >"Dust Puppy" draws a blank here, mate.

    www.userfriendly.org

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread