GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd - PPP

This is a discussion on GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd - PPP ; Hi, I'm trying to configure my laptop (a Toshiba A60) and a GPRS phone (a Nokia Communicator 9500) for internet access and I noticed that the modem has different behaviours when using an USB cable or a Bluetooth pen. If ...

  1. GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Hi,

    I'm trying to configure my laptop (a Toshiba A60) and a GPRS phone
    (a Nokia Communicator 9500) for internet access and I noticed that the
    modem has different behaviours when using an USB cable or a Bluetooth
    pen.

    If I use the USB cable, I can see this log:

    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyACM0
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 ]
    PPP BSD Compression module registered
    PPP Deflate Compression module registered
    sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]
    rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x0 80 fd 01 01 00 0f 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00 15 03 2f]
    Protocol-Reject for 'Compression Control Protocol' (0x80fd) received
    rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x2 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x3 ]
    local IP address 151.81.2.134
    remote IP address 10.6.6.6
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 5547)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 5547), status = 0x0

    and it's all OK... :-)

    Using Bluetooth I have:

    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    No auth is possible
    .... <====[strings above are repeated some times]
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    Connection terminated.

    I don't understand where is the problem: scripts and options
    (/etc/ppp/*, chat scripts and so on) are absolutely the same! I change
    only the device name, why these differences? :-o

    Can you help me? Changes in /etc/ppp/options have no effect, and I
    can't find anything in the web.

    Thank you in advance, and excuse me for my poor english.. .:)

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

  2. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On 2005-08-08, Gianfranco Bertozzi wrote:
    > I'm trying to configure my laptop (a Toshiba A60) and a GPRS phone
    > (a Nokia Communicator 9500) for internet access and I noticed that the
    > modem has different behaviours when using an USB cable or a Bluetooth
    > pen.

    Which pppd options are you using and does the provided username match a
    username-password pair in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets?

    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyACM0
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > No auth is possible

    pppd likely says this when no authentication methods have been selected,
    so it's not ok.

    -Mikko

  3. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Gianfranco Bertozzi writes:

    >Hi,

    > I'm trying to configure my laptop (a Toshiba A60) and a GPRS phone
    >(a Nokia Communicator 9500) for internet access and I noticed that the
    >modem has different behaviours when using an USB cable or a Bluetooth
    >pen.

    Are these on different computers or the same one?

    > If I use the USB cable, I can see this log:

    Looks fine.

    > Using Bluetooth I have:

    >Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    >sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    >No auth is possible

    This indicates that you have some problem with your /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    file. Either the entry is too restrictive, or the permissions are wrong (r
    for root only) or it does not exist.

    If it does exist post the contents here, but replace all passwords with

    You should also make sure that you have the
    user option for pppd since that is how it determines which line
    in the pap-secrets file to use.
    (Yes, even if there is only one line)

    >sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]

    And the game is over.

    > I don't understand where is the problem: scripts and options
    >(/etc/ppp/*, chat scripts and so on) are absolutely the same! I change
    >only the device name, why these differences? :-o

    > Can you help me? Changes in /etc/ppp/options have no effect, and I
    >can't find anything in the web.

    > Thank you in advance, and excuse me for my poor english.. .:)
    >

    >--
    >Gianfranco Bertozzi
    >Linux User #183585
    >gbertozzi@tiscali.it

  4. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Gianfranco Bertozzi wrote:

    > I'm trying to configure my laptop (a Toshiba A60) and a GPRS phone
    > (a Nokia Communicator 9500) for internet access and I noticed that the
    > modem has different behaviours when using an USB cable or a Bluetooth
    > pen.

    A Bluetooth pen. Hmm..

    If I use the USB cable, I can see this log:

    The PAP rejection in the elided section seems consistant with what little
    I know about GPRS, i.e., actually identification is by other means after
    IPCP negotiation.

    > and it's all OK... :-)

    This seems true here also.

    > Using Bluetooth I have:

    > Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    > No auth is possible
    > sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    > No auth is possible
    > ... <====[strings above are repeated some times]
    > sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    > Connection terminated.

    Notice that there is no response at all to pppd's requests. That usually
    means it's a problem with the physical layer or it's configuation,
    not PPP.

    > I don't understand where is the problem: scripts and options
    > (/etc/ppp/*, chat scripts and so on) are absolutely the same! I change
    > only the device name, why these differences? :-o

    Same computer and ISP? Then that seems to leave only the physical layer.
    A USB cable is not a Bluetooth PEN.

    /* Bluffing in a poker game can win big; bluffing in a newsgroup
    only attracts sharks. */

  5. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 07:45:17 -0500, Clifford Kite wrote:

    > The PAP rejection in the elided section seems consistant with what little
    > I know about GPRS, i.e., actually identification is by other means after
    > IPCP negotiation.

    > Notice that there is no response at all to pppd's requests. That usually
    > means it's a problem with the physical layer or it's configuation,
    > not PPP.

    I am not happy, but I think you are right... :-/

    I have read somewhere that GPRS use chap authentication, but my pap
    and chap secrets are identical. Do you have any suggestion?

    > A USB cable is not a Bluetooth PEN.

    I know, but I don't understand why and how this difference can
    modify the authentication with the remote server. (and cable
    connection is not fine for me because I have to reset my Communicator
    everytime...) :-o

    Thank you,

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

  6. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 05:55:12 +0000 (UTC), Mikko Rapeli wrote:

    > Which pppd options are you using and does the provided username match a
    > username-password pair in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets?

    My /etc/ppp/options is this:

    lock
    debug debug debug
    115200
    noauth
    #ipcp-no-address
    #ipcp-no-addresses
    #lcp-echo-failure 0
    #lcp-echo-interval 0
    #nocrtscts
    #:10.0.0.1
    #asyncmap a0000
    modem
    #noipdefault
    defaultroute
    #receiveall
    #noproxyarp
    #nopcomp
    #noaccomp
    #nomagic
    #noccp
    #novj
    #novjccomp
    nodetach
    #usepeerdns
    #require-chap
    #require-pap

    and I have [de]commented a lot of options without success: the log
    is quite different, but I have timeout and no connection is possible.

    In pap and chap secrets I have the login and PW for my "home
    telephone" providers. For GPRS, login is "internet.wind" and no PW is
    requested. I tried to add:

    internet.wind *

    with and without '*' after the last line, that is:

    gbertozzi tiscali mypassword

    in pap and chap secrets, but nothing happens.

    Thank you, you all are very kind... :-)

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

  7. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On 9 Aug 2005 12:07:34 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > Are these on different computers or the same one?

    It's all the same: same computer, same scripts, same options...

    > This indicates that you have some problem with your /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    > file. Either the entry is too restrictive, or the permissions are wrong (r
    > for root only) or it does not exist.

    I don't know... :)

    I have already posted my options and pap & chap secrets (that are
    identical), and I tried to connect as user and root without
    differences. I'll try to use as you suggest and to add
    'user internet.wind' to my /etc/ppp/options. But I think it's not the
    first time I try this solution... :-o

    > And the game is over.

    Yes... :(

    Thank you very much,

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

  8. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Gianfranco Bertozzi writes:
    > lock
    > debug debug debug

    Using the "debug" option more than once doesn't have any additional
    benefit; it's a boolean.

    > #noipdefault

    Typically, you want to have that one. Why is it commented out?

    > #noccp

    That probably shouldn't be commented out. CCP is unlikely to work
    with any ISP. (It won't hurt, but it won't help.)

    You're missing a "user internet.wind" option here. That's probably
    why pppd is claiming that it doesn't know about PAP.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  9. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Clifford Kite writes:

    >Gianfranco Bertozzi wrote:

    >> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    >> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >> rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    >> No auth is possible
    >> sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    >> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >> rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    >> No auth is possible
    >> ... <====[strings above are repeated some times]
    >> sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    >> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >> LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    >> Connection terminated.

    >Notice that there is no response at all to pppd's requests. That usually
    >means it's a problem with the physical layer or it's configuation,
    >not PPP.

    Well, from them to you works, from you to them does not seem to although
    the remote might want to get over the request for pap before doing anything
    else.
    Note also that the remote site requests asyncmap 0xa0000 and it is a very
    very very good idea if you request the same (async a0000 in
    /etc/ppp/options)

  10. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Gianfranco Bertozzi writes:

    >On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 05:55:12 +0000 (UTC), Mikko Rapeli wrote:

    >> Which pppd options are you using and does the provided username match a
    >> username-password pair in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets?

    > My /etc/ppp/options is this:

    >lock
    >debug debug debug

    Uh, only one is needed. Each superceeds the previous, so three debugs is no
    different from one.

    >115200
    >noauth
    >defaultroute
    >nodetach

    Where is the
    user
    option? You need that for pap to work.

    > In pap and chap secrets I have the login and PW for my "home
    >telephone" providers. For GPRS, login is "internet.wind" and no PW is
    >requested. I tried to add:

    >internet.wind *

    what is that?

    > with and without '*' after the last line, that is:

    >gbertozzi tiscali mypassword

    >in pap and chap secrets, but nothing happens.

    So you need
    user gbertozzi
    in your pppd options.
    or on the pppd command line

    You may also want
    gbertozzi * mypassword *

  11. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On 2005-08-09, Gianfranco Bertozzi wrote:
    > My /etc/ppp/options is this:

    > and I have [de]commented a lot of options without success: the log
    > is quite different, but I have timeout and no connection is possible.

    The "user internet.wind" option for pppd is missing.

    > In pap and chap secrets I have the login and PW for my "home
    > telephone" providers. For GPRS, login is "internet.wind" and no PW is
    > requested. I tried to add:
    >
    > internet.wind *

    Try this line in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

    internet.wind * "" *

    The user here is the GPRS APN login name, not your username on the local
    host. Also, if an empty password seems to fail, try passing some garbage
    since the PPP stack in the phone might just discard the password part.
    Another line to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

    internet.wind * "foobar" *

    -Mikko

  12. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Gianfranco Bertozzi wrote:
    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 07:45:17 -0500, Clifford Kite wrote:

    >> The PAP rejection in the elided section seems consistant with what little
    >> I know about GPRS, i.e., actually identification is by other means after
    >> IPCP negotiation.

    >> Notice that there is no response at all to pppd's requests. That usually
    >> means it's a problem with the physical layer or it's configuation,
    >> not PPP.

    > I am not happy, but I think you are right... :-/

    > I have read somewhere that GPRS use chap authentication, but my pap
    > and chap secrets are identical. Do you have any suggestion?

    Sorry, all I know about a PEN computer was learned using google
    after seeing your post, namely that it is apparently a new type of
    small gadget-computer that uses a stylus and tablet to write messages
    instead of a keyboard. And there seem to be PEN devices that can be
    attached to a regular computer, such as laptops. I've also never
    used Bluetooth.

    >> A USB cable is not a Bluetooth PEN.

    > I know, but I don't understand why and how this difference can
    > modify the authentication with the remote server. (and cable
    > connection is not fine for me because I have to reset my Communicator
    > everytime...) :-o

    I've also no experience with GPRS, either with or without using a
    USB cable. My remarks were based on what I've seen in posts to
    this group and gleaned from sites found with google.

    If you want to pppd to accept PAP or CHAP requests then, as James
    Carlson and Bill Unruh have said, the pppd "user Your_ISPusername"
    option is needed in addition to configuring the {pap,chap}-secrets
    files.

    Based on the USB working - except you have to reset the cell-phone, and
    Bluetooth/PEN not working, I'm still not swayed from my opinion that the
    physical layers, or their configurations, are causing the Bluetooth/PEN
    and USB problems.

    But both Carlson and Unruh are regular, reliable contributers here,
    and Carlson is the author of two books about PPP implementations.
    Also Mikko Rapeli seems to know a lot about GPRS as related to PPP,
    probably more than anyone else posting here.

  13. Re: [UNIQUE REPLY] GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Hi,

    I think it's better an unique reply... :-)

    I tried all your suggestions. Now my options file is:

    /etc/ppp/options---------------

    lock
    debug
    115200
    noauth
    user internet.wind
    asyncmap a0000
    modem
    defaultroute
    noccp
    nodetach
    noipdefault

    #nomagic
    #ipcp-no-address
    #ipcp-no-addresses
    #lcp-echo-failure 0
    #lcp-echo-interval 0
    #nocrtscts
    #:10.0.0.1
    #receiveall
    #noproxyarp
    #nopcomp
    #noaccomp
    #novj
    #novjccomp
    #usepeerdns
    #require-chap
    #require-pap

    I decommented all the last lines (often without knowing the real
    significance of the various options) but no connection was possible.

    As Unrhu suggests, I wrote the two lines in pap-secrets:

    with 'internet.wind * "" *' the log is:

    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]

    And with 'internet.wind * "foobar" *':

    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]

    And the line for "gbertozzi" is used for another provider, I don't
    think it's important here.

    The strange thing is that pap authentication is requested also using
    cable, but seems to have no influence because the connection is always
    possible. In the "with cable" log, you can see:

    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyACM0
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 ]
    PPP BSD Compression module registered

    and it's all OK even if "No auth is possible".

    It is possible that the dot in 'internet.wind' can confuse remote
    server? And again: somewhere in the net I found that GPRS allows
    different protocols like DUN (dial up network) and rfcomm. I don't
    think

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

  14. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:37:28 -0500, Clifford Kite wrote:

    > Sorry, all I know about a PEN computer was learned using google
    > after seeing your post, namely that it is apparently a new type of

    Excuse me: I don't write (and speak) english very well, perhaps I
    have made some mistakes. My computer is not a "pen computer", it's a
    simple laptop (toshiba a 60); "pen" is referred to the "USB pen" I use
    to connect (via bluetooth) my computer to the nokia communicator. I'm
    sorry. :)

    > Based on the USB working - except you have to reset the cell-phone, and
    > Bluetooth/PEN not working, I'm still not swayed from my opinion that the
    > physical layers, or their configurations, are causing the Bluetooth/PEN
    > and USB problems.

    I think so, but really I can't understand _why_ (and how) the
    connection between modem and computer (i.e. cable vs b/tooth) can
    influence authentication between modem an remote server. With my old
    computer (HP Omnibook 900 with IrDa port) I had no problems using IrDa
    and cable, and the scripts and options were always the same. Only
    bluetooth doesn't work! :-(

    For further information, please read my other reply.

    Thank you,

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

  15. Re: [UNIQUE REPLY] GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Gianfranco Bertozzi writes:
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]

    That behavior is consistent with the peer being unable to hear you.
    Your messages aren't getting through -- they're getting dropped by the
    low-level transport somewhere.

    I'm afraid the problem could be just about anywhere. Since you've got
    a kludgy serial-over-USB-to-bluetooth-to-who-knows-what connection,
    you're probably going to need to find a way to debug each part of that
    individually.

    The good news is that it doesn't look like it's a PPP problem at all.
    It's just a basic serial problem: you're able to receive fine, but the
    other guy isn't getting your data, or the data he does get has been
    corrupted somehow.

    > And the line for "gbertozzi" is used for another provider, I don't
    > think it's important here.

    None of the PAP stuff is relevant here. The peer can't receive your
    packets. You're not getting anywhere near authentication; the problem
    is far more basic.

    > It is possible that the dot in 'internet.wind' can confuse remote
    > server? And again: somewhere in the net I found that GPRS allows
    > different protocols like DUN (dial up network) and rfcomm. I don't
    > think

    No, that's clearly not it.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  16. Re: [UNIQUE REPLY] GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On 11 Aug 2005 07:11:29 -0400, James Carlson wrote:

    > It's just a basic serial problem: you're able to receive fine, but the
    > other guy isn't getting your data, or the data he does get has been
    > corrupted somehow.

    Uhmmmm... :-o

    Your words remind me that I can receive files _from_ my communicator
    but I can't send data from computer _to_ telephone... can be this the
    cause of my troubles with bluetooth? If yes, I have only to tune
    bluetooth connection and I don't think it will be so difficult. But
    don't you think that it is strange that troubles only begin when my
    modem talks with remote server and not during initialization?

    Excuse me if I my questions are stupid, I'm absolutely not an
    expert. :)

    Thank you,

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

  17. Re: [UNIQUE REPLY] GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:18:48 +0000 (UTC), Gianfranco Bertozzi wrote:

    > but I can't send data from computer _to_ telephone... can be this the
    > cause of my troubles with bluetooth? If yes, I have only to tune

    Ooops, really it's stupid! I've already adjusted bluetooth and now I
    can up- and down-load files without problem. Obvoiusly this is not the
    cause. I'm looking for "bluetooth modems" with google, I hope to
    found somthing helpful.

    Thank you very much again,

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

  18. Re: GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Gianfranco Bertozzi wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:37:28 -0500, Clifford Kite wrote:

    >> Sorry, all I know about a PEN computer was learned using google
    >> after seeing your post, namely that it is apparently a new type of

    > Excuse me: I don't write (and speak) english very well, perhaps I
    > have made some mistakes. My computer is not a "pen computer", it's a
    > simple laptop (toshiba a 60); "pen" is referred to the "USB pen" I use
    > to connect (via bluetooth) my computer to the nokia communicator. I'm
    > sorry. :)

    Don't be sorry, you write English well enough. I realized you hadn't
    denied my earlier assumption that the same computer was used for both
    USB and Bluetooth. So I had searched the web and found a Bluetooth
    pen - not a computer but a device that looks like a real pen and
    meant to be used to write and at the same time scan the writing and
    send it to a computer. Which is why I added

    And there seem to be PEN devices that can be
    attached to a regular computer, such as laptops.

    In your case it seems that "attached" may even mean a pen that can use
    either Bluetooth or USB.

    >> Based on the USB working - except you have to reset the cell-phone, and
    >> Bluetooth/PEN not working, I'm still not swayed from my opinion that the
    >> physical layers, or their configurations, are causing the Bluetooth/PEN
    >> and USB problems.

    > I think so, but really I can't understand _why_ (and how) the
    > connection between modem and computer (i.e. cable vs b/tooth) can
    > influence authentication between modem an remote server. With my old
    > computer (HP Omnibook 900 with IrDa port) I had no problems using IrDa
    > and cable, and the scripts and options were always the same. Only
    > bluetooth doesn't work! :-(

    Maybe this link about a Bluetooth Nokia 6820 will help:

    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LGNET/109/oregan3.html

    That's about all the help I can provide, since I'm Bluetooth ignorant.

  19. Re: [UNIQUE REPLY] GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    Gianfranco Bertozzi writes:

    > Hi,

    > I think it's better an unique reply... :-)

    > I tried all your suggestions. Now my options file is:

    >/etc/ppp/options---------------

    >lock
    >debug
    >115200
    >noauth
    >user internet.wind
    >asyncmap a0000
    >modem
    >defaultroute
    >noccp
    >nodetach
    >noipdefault

    Looks fine.

    > As Unrhu suggests, I wrote the two lines in pap-secrets:

    > with 'internet.wind * "" *' the log is:

    >Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    >rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]

    The far side does not seem to hear you at all. It is not responding to your
    messages. This could be hardware problem or the far end could just be nuts.

    > And with 'internet.wind * "foobar" *':

    >Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    >sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]

    The other side does not hear you. It never asks for the actual
    authentication so the fact that you changed pap-secrets is irrelevant.
    No idea why the other end is completely deaf.
    Have you tried talking to the provider?

    > And the line for "gbertozzi" is used for another provider, I don't
    >think it's important here.
    >
    > The strange thing is that pap authentication is requested also using
    >cable, but seems to have no influence because the connection is always
    >possible. In the "with cable" log, you can see:

    >Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyACM0
    >rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >No auth is possible
    >sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 ]
    >rcvd [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    >rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    >sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    >rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 ]
    >PPP BSD Compression module registered

    The cable provider is nuts.

    > and it's all OK even if "No auth is possible".

    > It is possible that the dot in 'internet.wind' can confuse remote
    >server? And again: somewhere in the net I found that GPRS allows

    No. It never sees that. It is just deaf.

    >different protocols like DUN (dial up network) and rfcomm. I don't
    >think

    Sorry, no idea.

  20. Re: [UNIQUE REPLY] GPRS, bluetooth, USB and pppd

    On 14 Aug 2005 00:45:11 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > The far side does not seem to hear you at all. It is not responding to your
    > messages. This could be hardware problem or the far end could just be nuts.

    Hi,

    you are right. I've posted a new message just some hours ago: the
    problem isn't PPP or hardware, it's only my head... :-/

    As you can see in the other message, I just wrote '1' instead of '2'
    in a configuration file: now it works! :-)

    You are very kind, thank you very much! :-)

    --
    Gianfranco Bertozzi
    Linux User #183585

+ Reply to Thread