dhcp server returns same IP address to ppp-dhcp plugin - PPP

This is a discussion on dhcp server returns same IP address to ppp-dhcp plugin - PPP ; Hi, I downloaded and installed ppp-dhcp plugin for my ppp server and wondering if you can help me with my problem. With the plugin, the ppp client is able to obtain an IP address from a dhcp server. However I ...

  1. dhcp server returns same IP address to ppp-dhcp plugin

    Hi,

    I downloaded and installed ppp-dhcp plugin for my ppp server and
    wondering if you can help me with my problem.

    With the plugin, the ppp client is able to obtain an IP address from a
    dhcp server. However I notice that its IP address is the same as ppp
    server's IP address. By looking at the dhcp message, it seems that it
    lists ppp server's mac address as the client MAC address, therefore the
    dhcp server returns the same IP address which is passed to the client.

    How can I make the dhcp server turns dynamic IP address to the client?

    Thanks in advance.

    -Stefanus

  2. Re: dhcp server returns same IP address to ppp-dhcp plugin

    Stefanus writes:
    > With the plugin, the ppp client is able to obtain an IP address from a
    > dhcp server. However I notice that its IP address is the same as ppp
    > server's IP address. By looking at the dhcp message, it seems that it
    > lists ppp server's mac address as the client MAC address, therefore
    > the dhcp server returns the same IP address which is passed to the
    > client.
    >
    > How can I make the dhcp server turns dynamic IP address to the client?

    In general, you need to have the DHCP client configured to include a
    unique "Client-identifier" option (RFC 2132 section 9.14), and you
    need a DHCP server that supports this option correctly.

    Typically, the Client-identifier string that a PPP/DHCP proxy passes
    along is the authenticated peer name (from PAP or CHAP). That way,
    when the same user dials in again (perhaps through a different access
    server), he gets the same address if it's still available. I've never
    seen the proxy you're using, though, so I don't know how it works or
    how to configure it properly.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: dhcp server returns same IP address to ppp-dhcp plugin

    James Carlson wrote:
    > Stefanus writes:
    >
    >>With the plugin, the ppp client is able to obtain an IP address from a
    >>dhcp server. However I notice that its IP address is the same as ppp
    >>server's IP address. By looking at the dhcp message, it seems that it
    >>lists ppp server's mac address as the client MAC address, therefore
    >>the dhcp server returns the same IP address which is passed to the
    >>client.
    >>
    >>How can I make the dhcp server turns dynamic IP address to the client?

    > In general, you need to have the DHCP client configured to include a
    > unique "Client-identifier" option (RFC 2132 section 9.14), and you
    > need a DHCP server that supports this option correctly.
    >
    > Typically, the Client-identifier string that a PPP/DHCP proxy passes
    > along is the authenticated peer name (from PAP or CHAP). That way,
    > when the same user dials in again (perhaps through a different access
    > server), he gets the same address if it's still available. I've never
    > seen the proxy you're using, though, so I don't know how it works or
    > how to configure it properly.

    I got it to work. The dhcp relay itself is a DHCP client with static
    allocation. Manually allocating static IP on the machine fix the problem.
    Thanks.

    -Stefanus

+ Reply to Thread