IPHC/ROHC for PPP connection doubt - PPP

This is a discussion on IPHC/ROHC for PPP connection doubt - PPP ; Does the Robust Header Compression and IP Header compression protcols works on both PPPoE and PPP Over HDLC type of connections? There will not be any difference if we use IPHC/ROHC over PPPoE/PPP Over HDLC right.?...

  1. IPHC/ROHC for PPP connection doubt

    Does the Robust Header Compression and IP Header compression protcols
    works on both PPPoE and PPP Over HDLC type of connections? There will
    not be any difference if we use IPHC/ROHC over PPPoE/PPP Over HDLC
    right.?

  2. Re: IPHC/ROHC for PPP connection doubt

    vanitha@agilis.st.com.sg writes:
    > Does the Robust Header Compression and IP Header compression protcols
    > works on both PPPoE and PPP Over HDLC type of connections? There will
    > not be any difference if we use IPHC/ROHC over PPPoE/PPP Over HDLC
    > right.?

    At least in theory, you should be able to use those header compression
    protcols just fine with PPPoE.

    The big question is whether you really _ought_ to do that, as the time
    spent compressing and uncompressing the headers (and the resulting
    internal buffer fragmentation that occurs in most implementations)
    would likely make it a worthless practice, I suspect.

    Some compression protocols (such as VJ header compression) work better
    with an indication of low-level errors, and you won't necessarily have
    that with PPPoE, so they'd probably not work as well.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network