pppd.tdb file format - PPP

This is a discussion on pppd.tdb file format - PPP ; Hi, I am trying to read the pppd.tdb file created by pppd-2.4.2 but it's format is not supported by the official tdb package. Has anyone written anything to make sense of it. 'strings /var/run/pppd.tdb' is a little too messy for ...

  1. pppd.tdb file format

    Hi,

    I am trying to read the pppd.tdb file created by pppd-2.4.2 but it's format
    is not supported by the official tdb package. Has anyone written anything
    to make sense of it.

    'strings /var/run/pppd.tdb' is a little too messy for my liking.

    Regards,

    Charlie Price

  2. Re: pppd.tdb file format

    Charles Price writes:
    > I am trying to read the pppd.tdb file created by pppd-2.4.2 but it's format
    > is not supported by the official tdb package. Has anyone written anything
    > to make sense of it.

    Could you please explain in more detail what you're trying to do?

    That file is an implementation detail inside pppd's MP (multilink)
    support. Nothing should be "making sense" of it, because the format
    and usage of the file could change at any time without warning. It's
    not documented. Any application outside of the ppp-2.4 package
    written to use it may end up being rather brittle.

    You could look at pppd/multilink.c and pppd/tdb.c to find out how to
    read it ... but it'd be better to explain what you're trying to do and
    find out if there are perhaps better ways to accomplish it.

    (Perhaps pppstats needs some new features ... ?)

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: pppd.tdb file format

    Charlie, this probably won't help you out _too_ much, but I've
    successfully written a parser for the pppd2.tdb file produced by
    ppp-2.4.3 using Perl and TDB_File.

    Never took a stab at the old format.

+ Reply to Thread