Re: Sniffer - PPP

This is a discussion on Re: Sniffer - PPP ; > "Stanley" writes: > > Sorry if I ask something wrong, I just wanna get some knowledge of > > PPPoE, and do some hacking to my own Cisco AP! Anyway thanks for reply! > James Carlson wrote: > See ...

  1. Re: Sniffer

    James Carlson wrote:
    > See RFC 2516 for a description of PPPoE. There's no security there at
    > all.
    >
    > As for monitoring the wire, there are many different software and
    > hardware solutions for that. Most modern operating systems (at least
    > the useful ones) come with at least one and often several different
    > applications that will monitor raw Ethernet and decode it for display,
    > including PPPoE.

    This relates to a problem of mine.
    My telco-line goes via the PABX of a party with which I'm in
    'fatal' legal dispute and I know that they 'tap' my speech
    traffic. Is it easy for them to read my modem-to-ISP
    traffic ?

    My thinking was that since the modems need to 'syncronise
    analog-wise' at least initially, it's difficult to acheive a 3-way
    communication ?

    Thanks for any info.

    == J. Grant

  2. Re: Sniffer

    jg@earthlink.net writes:
    > This relates to a problem of mine.
    > My telco-line goes via the PABX of a party with which I'm in
    > 'fatal' legal dispute and I know that they 'tap' my speech
    > traffic. Is it easy for them to read my modem-to-ISP
    > traffic ?

    Not sure what you'd class as "easy," but it's feasible:

    http://www.appsig.com/prods/elvira.html

    > My thinking was that since the modems need to 'syncronise
    > analog-wise' at least initially, it's difficult to acheive a 3-way
    > communication ?

    It's technically difficult to monitor a modern modem connection, but
    certainly not beyond the capability of those who might care to do so.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network