Nokia 6651 failure after it sends PPP terminate - PPP

This is a discussion on Nokia 6651 failure after it sends PPP terminate - PPP ; If a Nokia 6651 fails data connection and sends a PPP terminate request, what can be done to cause the phone to accept commands again? I use a PPP FSM to establish a GPRS data connection on the USB port ...

  1. Nokia 6651 failure after it sends PPP terminate

    If a Nokia 6651 fails data connection and sends a PPP terminate
    request, what can be done to cause the phone to accept commands again?
    I use a PPP FSM to establish a GPRS data connection on the USB port of
    a Nokia 6651 phone. If data connection is successful and I am finished
    using that connection, I can send a PPP terminate request to the phone,
    and it goes back to accepting AT commands. However, if the data
    connection is not successful the phone sends the PPP terminate request
    (Link Control Protocol) and I send a terminate ACK, but, although the
    phone is still working fine otherwise, the phone no longer accepts
    either PPP packets or AT commands and the only way to recover is to
    power cycle the phone. Also, if the data connection is not successful
    and I send the PPP terminate before the phone does, it goes back to
    accepting AT commands. If I had a way of determining the data
    connection is not successful before the phone sends the terminate, this
    would work, but I have not found a way to determine this or to slow
    down the phone's sending of the terminate. (The phone sends the
    terminate in 1.2 seconds, but if the data connection is successful the
    next PPP packet comes in 1.6 seconds.)
    Maybe there is something I'm missing as far as an equivalent to
    lowering DTR for a USB port.

  2. Re: Nokia 6651 failure after it sends PPP terminate

    "Don" writes:
    > power cycle the phone. Also, if the data connection is not successful
    > and I send the PPP terminate before the phone does, it goes back to
    > accepting AT commands. If I had a way of determining the data

    That sure sounds like a bug in the telephone's firmware. You probably
    want to contact the manufacturer and see if upgrades are available.

    > Maybe there is something I'm missing as far as an equivalent to
    > lowering DTR for a USB port.

    It'd be device-dependent, but many of those USB devices try to behave
    like a serial port. I expect that's the case here. pppd should
    _already_ be doing that, provided that you haven't used the "local"
    option to disable modem controls.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: Nokia 6651 failure after it sends PPP terminate

    James Carlson wrote:
    > That sure sounds like a bug in the telephone's firmware. You probably
    > want to contact the manufacturer and see if upgrades are available.

    Glad you agree it is likely a phone problem. I found a work-around.
    The phone has 3 USB ports, so after I run into this problem on the 1st
    port, I connect to the 2nd port. I issue "AT+CFUN=0" (take phone to
    minumum power level) and "AT+CFUN=1" (take phone to full power level),
    which causes the phone to start accepting AT commands on the 1st port
    again without the phone losing network registration.

    Don

+ Reply to Thread