Connected but can't ping or browse - PPP

This is a discussion on Connected but can't ping or browse - PPP ; Hello ppp champions, I have a mandriva linux 10.2 downloaded recently. I am using broadband connection and connecting through the roaring penguin adsl scripts. In summary I can connect because I can see a pretty valid ip address assigned to ...

  1. Connected but can't ping or browse

    Hello ppp champions,

    I have a mandriva linux 10.2 downloaded recently. I am using broadband
    connection and connecting through the roaring penguin adsl scripts. In
    summary I can connect because I can see a pretty valid ip address assigned
    to my comp but I cannot browse or ping any location. What could be the root
    cause of the problem. adsl-start in DEBUG mode generates a log but how do I
    make sense of it.

    Best Regards,
    Pankaj

  2. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    "Pankaj Ratan Lal" writes:
    > I have a mandriva linux 10.2 downloaded recently. I am using broadband
    > connection and connecting through the roaring penguin adsl scripts. In
    > summary I can connect because I can see a pretty valid ip address assigned
    > to my comp but I cannot browse or ping any location. What could be the root
    > cause of the problem. adsl-start in DEBUG mode generates a log but how do I
    > make sense of it.

    That sounds like a name service configuration problem, not a PPP
    problem. Check /etc/resolv.conf and related files.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    "Pankaj Ratan Lal" writes:

    >Hello ppp champions,

    >I have a mandriva linux 10.2 downloaded recently. I am using broadband
    >connection and connecting through the roaring penguin adsl scripts. In
    >summary I can connect because I can see a pretty valid ip address assigned
    >to my comp but I cannot browse or ping any location. What could be the root
    >cause of the problem. adsl-start in DEBUG mode generates a log but how do I
    >make sense of it.

    a) It is always always best to buy a adsl modem which connects to your
    computer via and ethernet cable.
    b) iLook at
    route -n
    to see if a route has been set up. Look at /etc/resolv.conf to see if
    reasonable dns servers have been set up.
    c) Try browsing with IP address instead of name. If that works your problem
    is dns resolving.

  4. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    Thanks James and Unruh for your replies,

    I do have an adsl modem that works through the ethernet port. So I am
    confident about that part. I see that I can ping the dns server through win
    XP but not through linux. When I run the adsl-start command wih DEBUG=1
    I see something interesting. It says
    /etc/ppp/firewall-masq: line xx: ipchains: command not found
    As I see the ipchains is not there in sbin. So its surprising. However, if I
    do not use DEBUG=1 (normal connect) it says connected and IP does get
    assigned. Is there some correlation between ipchains and not being able to
    do anything worthwhile.
    If this is the problem, any idea how I should install ipchains. It is as I
    know supposed to be built into the linix kernel itself. Am I right ?

    Best Regards,
    Pankaj

    "Unruh" wrote in message
    > "Pankaj Ratan Lal" writes:
    >
    > >Hello ppp champions,

    > >I have a mandriva linux 10.2 downloaded recently. I am using broadband
    > >connection and connecting through the roaring penguin adsl scripts. In
    > >summary I can connect because I can see a pretty valid ip address

    assigned
    > >to my comp but I cannot browse or ping any location. What could be the

    root
    > >cause of the problem. adsl-start in DEBUG mode generates a log but how do

    > >make sense of it.

    > a) It is always always best to buy a adsl modem which connects to your
    > computer via and ethernet cable.
    > b) iLook at
    > route -n
    > to see if a route has been set up. Look at /etc/resolv.conf to see if
    > reasonable dns servers have been set up.
    > c) Try browsing with IP address instead of name. If that works your

    problem
    > is dns resolving.

  5. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    Pankaj Ratan Lal wrote:
    > Thanks James and Unruh for your replies,

    > I do have an adsl modem that works through the ethernet port. So I am
    > confident about that part. I see that I can ping the dns server through win
    > XP but not through linux. When I run the adsl-start command wih DEBUG=1
    > I see something interesting. It says
    > /etc/ppp/firewall-masq: line xx: ipchains: command not found

    Rp-pppoe, at least through 3.5, is way behind the curve regarding it's
    Linux firewall. These days iptables are used to build a firewall and
    do masquerading. I know linux 2.4.24 still has a kernel configuration
    item for ipchains support but it seems to be gone in the 2.6 versions.

    Iptables doesn't use exactly the same syntax as ipchains, so it's not
    just a matter of changing names in the firewall script.

    > As I see the ipchains is not there in sbin. So its surprising. However, if I
    > do not use DEBUG=1 (normal connect) it says connected and IP does get
    > assigned. Is there some correlation between ipchains and not being able to
    > do anything worthwhile.
    > If this is the problem, any idea how I should install ipchains. It is as I
    > know supposed to be built into the linix kernel itself. Am I right ?

    If you don't have the ipchains configuration program then it's very
    likely that iptables is in /sbin or /usr/sbin and support for iptables
    is in the kernel, not ipchains. There are firewall scripts available
    at various sites, e.g., in section 7 of

    http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.n...-tutorial.html

  6. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    Hello Clifford,

    Thanks for your help. I think this is definitely the problem. firewall-masq
    coming as default in the mandriva installation (naturally from rp-pppoe)
    refers to ipchains which is not available. So I would need to pick the right
    iptables based script. I would investigate this and and let you guys know
    more about how it goes. Since I am new to this network jargon, I hope not
    setting the right firewall is the reason behind all the errors I see in
    ping. Unless there is something else too. It kind of surprises me though,
    that linux is appreciated to be the most network friendly environment, but
    such simple things do not work. Do the folks on linux/mandrake have a
    validation suite for all this or not.

    Best Regards,
    Pankaj

    "Clifford Kite" wrote in message
    > Pankaj Ratan Lal wrote:
    > > Thanks James and Unruh for your replies,

    > > I do have an adsl modem that works through the ethernet port. So I am
    > > confident about that part. I see that I can ping the dns server through

    win
    > > XP but not through linux. When I run the adsl-start command wih DEBUG=1
    > > I see something interesting. It says
    > > /etc/ppp/firewall-masq: line xx: ipchains: command not found

    > Rp-pppoe, at least through 3.5, is way behind the curve regarding it's
    > Linux firewall. These days iptables are used to build a firewall and
    > do masquerading. I know linux 2.4.24 still has a kernel configuration
    > item for ipchains support but it seems to be gone in the 2.6 versions.
    >
    > Iptables doesn't use exactly the same syntax as ipchains, so it's not
    > just a matter of changing names in the firewall script.
    >
    > > As I see the ipchains is not there in sbin. So its surprising. However,

    if I
    > > do not use DEBUG=1 (normal connect) it says connected and IP does get
    > > assigned. Is there some correlation between ipchains and not being able

    > > do anything worthwhile.
    > > If this is the problem, any idea how I should install ipchains. It is as

    > > know supposed to be built into the linix kernel itself. Am I right ?

    > If you don't have the ipchains configuration program then it's very
    > likely that iptables is in /sbin or /usr/sbin and support for iptables
    > is in the kernel, not ipchains. There are firewall scripts available
    > at various sites, e.g., in section 7 of
    >
    > http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.n...-tutorial.html
    >
    > --
    > Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    > PPP-Q&A links, downloads: http://ckite.no-ip.net/

  7. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    Pankaj Ratan Lal wrote:
    > Hello Clifford,

    > Thanks for your help. I think this is definitely the problem. firewall-masq
    > coming as default in the mandriva installation (naturally from rp-pppoe)
    > refers to ipchains which is not available. So I would need to pick the right
    > iptables based script. I would investigate this and and let you guys know
    > more about how it goes. Since I am new to this network jargon, I hope not
    > setting the right firewall is the reason behind all the errors I see in
    > ping. Unless there is something else too. It kind of surprises me though,

    I doubt that having no firewall causes a ping problem unless the
    firewall script also does SNAT or IP masquerading for a private
    address network. Then the machines on that network would not be
    able to access Internet sites through the ADSL connection host.

    Ping failure on Internet sites can result for other reasons, among
    which are

    No default route
    Wrong default route
    No DNS nameserver IP addresses configured
    Wrong DNS nameserver IP addresses configured
    Firewall blocks ping messages (seemingly not applicable here)

    It would help if you would post any messages generated when ping fails
    and to say approximately how long it takes ping to exit (immediately,
    after a few seconds, or after several minutes).

    > that linux is appreciated to be the most network friendly environment, but
    > such simple things do not work. Do the folks on linux/mandrake have a
    > validation suite for all this or not.

    I don't use that Linux distribution and don't know it's capabilities.
    The question is really more appropriate for comp.os.linux.networking.

    -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    /* Need to post debug logs under a MS OS? Change the *nix EOL to
    MSDOS EOL with "sed s/\$/^M/g logfile > foo", where ^M is a CR
    created with control-v control-m. Copy foo to a DOS formatted
    floppy, read it under MS. */

  8. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    Hello Clifford, All,

    The problem is solved finally. It was a bug in shorewall (mandrake's
    firewall) where it was watching at eth0 rather than ppp by default. Fixed
    that, and I am now connected. adsl-start still has the ipchains issue, but
    it connects and rest of it fails. But shorewall does the rest of the
    settings anyway so I am fine now.

    > Pankaj Ratan Lal wrote:
    > > Hello Clifford,

    > > Thanks for your help. I think this is definitely the problem.

    firewall-masq
    > > coming as default in the mandriva installation (naturally from rp-pppoe)
    > > refers to ipchains which is not available. So I would need to pick the

    right
    > > iptables based script. I would investigate this and and let you guys

    know
    > > more about how it goes. Since I am new to this network jargon, I hope

    not
    > > setting the right firewall is the reason behind all the errors I see in
    > > ping. Unless there is something else too. It kind of surprises me

    though,

    > I doubt that having no firewall causes a ping problem unless the
    > firewall script also does SNAT or IP masquerading for a private
    > address network. Then the machines on that network would not be
    > able to access Internet sites through the ADSL connection host.
    >
    > Ping failure on Internet sites can result for other reasons, among
    > which are
    >
    > No default route
    > Wrong default route
    > No DNS nameserver IP addresses configured
    > Wrong DNS nameserver IP addresses configured
    > Firewall blocks ping messages (seemingly not applicable here)
    >
    > It would help if you would post any messages generated when ping fails
    > and to say approximately how long it takes ping to exit (immediately,
    > after a few seconds, or after several minutes).
    >
    > > that linux is appreciated to be the most network friendly environment,

    but
    > > such simple things do not work. Do the folks on linux/mandrake have a
    > > validation suite for all this or not.

    > I don't use that Linux distribution and don't know it's capabilities.
    > The question is really more appropriate for comp.os.linux.networking.
    >
    > -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    > /* Need to post debug logs under a MS OS? Change the *nix EOL to
    > MSDOS EOL with "sed s/\$/^M/g logfile > foo", where ^M is a CR
    > created with control-v control-m. Copy foo to a DOS formatted
    > floppy, read it under MS. */

  9. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    "Pankaj Ratan Lal" writes:

    >Thanks James and Unruh for your replies,

    >I do have an adsl modem that works through the ethernet port. So I am
    >confident about that part. I see that I can ping the dns server through win

    Good.

    >XP but not through linux. When I run the adsl-start command wih DEBUG=1
    >I see something interesting. It says
    >/etc/ppp/firewall-masq: line xx: ipchains: command not found

    Well, install it.
    urpmi ipchains
    if you have Mandrake.

    However it is a very very good idea to disable all firewalls while you are
    testing. One thing at a time is always a good idea for debugging.

    ifconfig eth0
    route -n
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

    are all good ideas to give you information. (if you do not know what they
    mean, post them here for help)

    You are running pppoe it seems. That is an attrocious protocol.

    >As I see the ipchains is not there in sbin. So its surprising. However, if I
    >do not use DEBUG=1 (normal connect) it says connected and IP does get
    >assigned. Is there some correlation between ipchains and not being able to
    >do anything worthwhile.
    >If this is the problem, any idea how I should install ipchains. It is as I
    >know supposed to be built into the linix kernel itself. Am I right ?

    >Best Regards,
    >Pankaj

    >"Unruh" wrote in message
    >> "Pankaj Ratan Lal" writes:
    >>
    >> >Hello ppp champions,

    >> >I have a mandriva linux 10.2 downloaded recently. I am using broadband
    >> >connection and connecting through the roaring penguin adsl scripts. In
    >> >summary I can connect because I can see a pretty valid ip address

    >assigned
    >> >to my comp but I cannot browse or ping any location. What could be the

    >root
    >> >cause of the problem. adsl-start in DEBUG mode generates a log but how do

    >> >make sense of it.

    >> a) It is always always best to buy a adsl modem which connects to your
    >> computer via and ethernet cable.
    >> b) iLook at
    >> route -n
    >> to see if a route has been set up. Look at /etc/resolv.conf to see if
    >> reasonable dns servers have been set up.
    >> c) Try browsing with IP address instead of name. If that works your

    >problem
    >> is dns resolving.

  10. Re: Connected but can't ping or browse

    Clifford Kite writes:

    >Pankaj Ratan Lal wrote:
    >> Hello Clifford,

    >> Thanks for your help. I think this is definitely the problem. firewall-masq
    >> coming as default in the mandriva installation (naturally from rp-pppoe)
    >> refers to ipchains which is not available. So I would need to pick the right
    >> iptables based script. I would investigate this and and let you guys know
    >> more about how it goes. Since I am new to this network jargon, I hope not
    >> setting the right firewall is the reason behind all the errors I see in
    >> ping. Unless there is something else too. It kind of surprises me though,

    >I doubt that having no firewall causes a ping problem unless the
    >firewall script also does SNAT or IP masquerading for a private
    >address network. Then the machines on that network would not be
    >able to access Internet sites through the ADSL connection host.

    >Ping failure on Internet sites can result for other reasons, among
    >which are

    >No default route
    >Wrong default route
    >No DNS nameserver IP addresses configured
    >Wrong DNS nameserver IP addresses configured
    >Firewall blocks ping messages (seemingly not applicable here)

    Sure it could be. The ISP almost certainly is running a firewall and may
    well block ping. Eg telus.net blocks incoming pings but not outgoing
    whereas some block all pings. Some also block all ports except 80 (after
    all the only use for computers is to surf the net isn't it)

    >It would help if you would post any messages generated when ping fails
    >and to say approximately how long it takes ping to exit (immediately,
    >after a few seconds, or after several minutes).

    Also try
    telnet name.of.host 25
    or ssh name.of.host

    >> that linux is appreciated to be the most network friendly environment, but
    >> such simple things do not work. Do the folks on linux/mandrake have a
    >> validation suite for all this or not.

    >I don't use that Linux distribution and don't know it's capabilities.
    >The question is really more appropriate for comp.os.linux.networking.

+ Reply to Thread