Connecting 2 Windows ME computers using PPP to share DSL internet connection - PPP

This is a discussion on Connecting 2 Windows ME computers using PPP to share DSL internet connection - PPP ; I know one shouldn't post messages to multiple newsgroups, but I'm not sure which group will be able to help me, so please excuse me if this is not relevant to your group and PLEASE help if you can. I ...

  1. Connecting 2 Windows ME computers using PPP to share DSL internet connection

    I know one shouldn't post messages to multiple newsgroups, but I'm not sure
    which group will be able to help me, so please excuse me if this is not
    relevant to your group and PLEASE help if you can.

    I got 1 PC at home and 2 PC's at my office. At the moment I'm using dial-up
    internet at home and at the office. I want to upgrade my office to DSL
    internet within the next couple of months. I'm trying to figure out a way to
    access such connection from home by using windows dial-up networking. Don't
    have DSL yet, just experimenting.

    I've set up dial-up server on my office PC. When I do dial-up from home, the
    office PC pick up and do hand shake, but a connection is not established.
    Get an error message, username or password incorrect. That is not surprising
    to me, cause on the office computer running windows ME dial-up server, I
    only have the option to specify a password, but there is no way to enter a
    username. Under server type I've selected < Windows ME>> with a tick at "enable software compression" and no tick at
    "require encrypted password". At my home PC I need to enter a username and
    password.

    Can someone tell me of any software I could try to do this? Is there perhaps
    an upgrade to the Windows ME dial-up server? Or is there something I need to
    do on my home computer to get it to dial using only a password and no user
    name. And then what about IP assignment? Guess that is another can of worms.
    Is what I'm trying to do at all possible?

    I am getting so frustrated with windows help files that just keep on saying:
    contact your network administrator. I am the owner and administrator and
    just about everything else!

    Please Help
    Thanks

    --
    Willem Van der Mescht
    horsy@SPAMBLOCKtiscali.co.za

  2. Re: Connecting 2 Windows ME computers using PPP to share DSL internet connection

    I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish. Is it that you want to eliminate the cost of
    your dial-up ISP? Because you'll get better performance with the home PC dialing into an
    ISP directly rather than dialing into the office PC and connecting to the Internet via the
    DSL.

    As for what you are trying to do, Dial-up Networking is Not design to do that. The
    dial-up server software doesn't know how to connect to the Internet. It's for providing
    access primarily to files.

    Fro some information on dial-up server, see:
    How to Enable Dial-Up Networking Server Capabilities
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139710
    How to Connect to a Remote Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145843
    Dial-Up Networking Dialog Box Prompts for Domain Name
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=148899

    There may be some 3rd party programs you can buy to do what you want.

    "Willem vd Mescht" wrote in message
    >I know one shouldn't post messages to multiple newsgroups, but I'm not sure
    > which group will be able to help me, so please excuse me if this is not
    > relevant to your group and PLEASE help if you can.
    >
    > I got 1 PC at home and 2 PC's at my office. At the moment I'm using dial-up
    > internet at home and at the office. I want to upgrade my office to DSL
    > internet within the next couple of months. I'm trying to figure out a way to
    > access such connection from home by using windows dial-up networking. Don't
    > have DSL yet, just experimenting.
    >
    > I've set up dial-up server on my office PC. When I do dial-up from home, the
    > office PC pick up and do hand shake, but a connection is not established.
    > Get an error message, username or password incorrect. That is not surprising
    > to me, cause on the office computer running windows ME dial-up server, I
    > only have the option to specify a password, but there is no way to enter a
    > username. Under server type I've selected < > Windows ME>> with a tick at "enable software compression" and no tick at
    > "require encrypted password". At my home PC I need to enter a username and
    > password.
    >
    > Can someone tell me of any software I could try to do this? Is there perhaps
    > an upgrade to the Windows ME dial-up server? Or is there something I need to
    > do on my home computer to get it to dial using only a password and no user
    > name. And then what about IP assignment? Guess that is another can of worms.
    > Is what I'm trying to do at all possible?
    >
    > I am getting so frustrated with windows help files that just keep on saying:
    > contact your network administrator. I am the owner and administrator and
    > just about everything else!
    >
    > Please Help
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Willem Van der Mescht
    > horsy@SPAMBLOCKtiscali.co.za
    > (When replying to this message,
    > please remove the letters SPAMBLOCK
    > from the e-mail address in the TO field)

  3. Re: Connecting 2 Windows ME computers using PPP to share DSL internet connection

    Might setup both ends as (virtual) servers and connect through the internet
    (your ISP)
    Might get a name for both ends to connect through ftp at www.no-ip.org,
    makes connecting easier as through an IP number. Don't forget to install the
    no-ip tool though, it links the name with your current IP...
    Maybe a form of VPN will work too.

+ Reply to Thread