PPP disconnession problems - PPP

This is a discussion on PPP disconnession problems - PPP ; Hello, I have a PPP server on a Linux Box (pppd 2.4.2 and Debian Sarge with Linux kernel 2.6.8) and it is configured to act as a server to accept incoming connection coming from a Win2k PPP client. Machines are ...

  1. PPP disconnession problems

    Hello,

    I have a PPP server on a Linux Box (pppd 2.4.2 and Debian Sarge with

    Linux kernel 2.6.8) and it is configured to act as a server to accept

    incoming connection coming from a Win2k PPP client. Machines are linked

    with a direct connection using a serial cable. Everything works OK, but

    if I stop the connection procedure on the Win2k site while it is

    authenticating itself, the pppd on the Linux box hangs and it never exit.

    The server receives the LCP TermReq, it sends back to Win2k the LCP

    TermAck but after that it doesn't do anything else. I have to kill the

    pppd and then restart it again to have it working properly.

    However if the connection is correctly established, I can request the

    Win2k to stop it, pppd correctly handles the LCP TermReq, exits and

    everything is ready to be started again (pppd is normally handled in

    respawn inside the inittab file).

    This problem is a big problem for me because the Linux box is not

    accessible from outside and everytime the pppd hangs, I have to move to

    the machine and from a local terminal manually kill pppd.

    The pppd parameters I use are:

    57600

    asyncmap 0

    auth

    crtscts

    local

    lock

    silent

    debug

    idle 60

    192.168.2.10:192.168.2.20

    require-pap

    The log of pppd is:

    Apr 27 16:20:05 lnxbox daemon.info linuxrc: Starting pid 1337, console
    /dev/console: '/sbin/pppd'

    Apr 27 16:20:06 lnxbox daemon.notice pppd[1337]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root,
    uid 0

    Apr 27 16:20:07 lnxbox local2.info chat[1341]: timeout set to 3600 seconds

    Apr 27 16:20:07 lnxbox local2.info chat[1341]: expect (CLIENT)

    Apr 27 16:24:35 lnxbox local2.info chat[1341]: CLIENT

    Apr 27 16:24:36 lnxbox local2.info chat[1341]: -- got it

    Apr 27 16:24:36 lnxbox local2.info chat[1341]: send(CLIENTSERVER)

    Apr 27 16:24:36 lnxbox daemon.info pppd[1337]: Serial connection
    established.

    Apr 27 16:24:36 lnxbox daemon.debug pppd[1337]: using channel 8

    Apr 27 16:24:36 lnxbox daemon.info pppd[1337]: Using interface ppp0

    Apr 27 16:24:36 lnxbox daemon.notice pppd[1337]: Connect <--> /dev/ttyS0

    Apr 27 16:24:36 lnkbox daemon.debug pppd[1337]: rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1
    "\"(\022&\000<\37777777715t\000\000\002\37777777721"]

    Apr 27 16:24:36 lnxbox daemon.debug pppd[1337]: sent [LCP TermAck id=0x1]

    Many thanks,

    Stefano Bimbo

    stefano_bimbo@itacosystems.com

  2. Re: PPP disconnession problems

    stefano bimbo wrote:

    > I have a PPP server on a Linux Box (pppd 2.4.2 and Debian Sarge with
    > Linux kernel 2.6.8) and it is configured to act as a server to accept
    > incoming connection coming from a Win2k PPP client. Machines are linked
    > with a direct connection using a serial cable. Everything works OK, but
    > if I stop the connection procedure on the Win2k site while it is
    > authenticating itself, the pppd on the Linux box hangs and it never exit.

    Assuming that "a direct connection using a serial cable" really means
    a fully functional nullmodem cable, the first thing that comes to mind
    is the DCD line is not being monitored by pppd because of the "local"
    option. That would prevent pppd from detecting lowering the DCD by
    the MS side and then exiting. I think the "silent" option would insure
    there is no attempt to restart PPP negotiation and thus no LCP timeout.

    Note that I have never created a nullmodem PPP connection between
    a Linux box and a MS box, or configured pppd to start directly from
    inittab..

  3. Re: PPP disconnession problems

    Clifford Kite writes:

    >stefano bimbo wrote:

    >> I have a PPP server on a Linux Box (pppd 2.4.2 and Debian Sarge with
    >> Linux kernel 2.6.8) and it is configured to act as a server to accept
    >> incoming connection coming from a Win2k PPP client. Machines are linked
    >> with a direct connection using a serial cable. Everything works OK, but
    >> if I stop the connection procedure on the Win2k site while it is
    >> authenticating itself, the pppd on the Linux box hangs and it never exit.

    >Assuming that "a direct connection using a serial cable" really means
    >a fully functional nullmodem cable, the first thing that comes to mind
    >is the DCD line is not being monitored by pppd because of the "local"
    >option. That would prevent pppd from detecting lowering the DCD by
    >the MS side and then exiting. I think the "silent" option would insure
    >there is no attempt to restart PPP negotiation and thus no LCP timeout.

    Note that this is a situation in which the LCP echo options might be
    useful. Just have the problematic ppp send out lcp echo requests and die if
    it does not get answers.

+ Reply to Thread